FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my post. I have a FNH FNS9 that I purchased (used) in October. I'm a new shooter, however, after spending some time fixing my flinch (shooting low and to the left) I had several trips to the range and started to miss the paper all together.

After spending some time trying to figure out the issue, I noticed that the front sight continues to slide to the right with every magazine I fire. With every 20 - 25 rounds fired, I need to slide the sight slightly to the left.

Today, I slid the slide completely out, repositioned it and still had a similar issue. Is there nothing that anchors the front sight and is there someway to permanently seat it properly?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
980 Posts
If you don't want to send it back to FNH... pick up some Loc-Tite (or an equivalent type of adhesive material at an auto-parts store). Then push the front sight to the side and put a dab of the on the slide where the sight should sit, and slip the sight back into the proper position. It should set very quickly in the center position. (I think you'll want an adhesive that is "blue" as that can be released by heat. Some of the other colors take a lot more effort to break free.)

A more permanent fix is to remove the sight and use a pointed punch to make small indentations on the top of the slide UNDER where the sight should sit. This lowers the center point of contact, but slightly raises the surrounding area (all which would be UNDER the sight.) That will make the sight more snug in the dovetail. (This is usually done with rear sights, where you have more area to work with.)

The easiest approach is to use the Loc-Tite (or a similar adhesive.) Heating the slide and sight with a heat gun, should you ever need to remove the sight, should allow the sight to moved again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts