FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So which one is more reliable? i have heard a lot about the later two but nothing about how the fn tps compares to them. if i was to take my tps out into harsh environments such as using it for military purposes would it hold up? I know police and military use the mossberg and remington but how does it compare to these two? Don't really care about the price just the reliability.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I'd say that they are about the same, honestly.

I had a Winchester 1300 in the 1990s, and the FN is pretty much the same design. I liked the gun a lot.

I was looking at some Supernovas last year, and I didn't like the way the pump action felt compared to the WInchester 1300 I used to have.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have owned two of the three you listed. The 870 and 590, Not a whole lot of difference in them as they are both pumps, are very reliable, and can take alot of abuse. If you ask me I'd say look at all three and see which one is cheaper in cost and buy that one.

·
Banned
114 Posts
If you want reliability in a pump use a Remington. Hands down the most solid one. I have a Mossberg 590 Special Purpose 9 shot that I bought brand new last year and I have never had such a bad time shooting as I did with that thing. Every other time I would pump it the gun would eject not only the spent shell but also drop an unfired one out of the bottom. No idea what's wrong with it but it's new so it shouldn't be doing that. I have shot my Winchester 1300's extensively over the years and really abused them and was happy with how they held up. However, in my opinion the Remington 870 is the best pump out there. It weighs a bit more than the Winchester but "the weight is a sign of reliability" as Boris the Blade would say. The only draw back of a Remington is that compared to a Winchester in 18 inch The Rem holds one less round. I raised this issue with them and stated the tube feed extension only need to be slightly modified to resolve it but my correspondence was with a female who had most likely never even seen the shotgun in question and went nowhere.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have a 1300 "defender"... that's it over in my avatar. Slickest pump action I've ever played with, and it only gets smoother every time I take it out.

However, stuff for the Remington and Mossberg is going to be easier to come by than either the TPS or my Winchester. I don't know how much the TPS runs, but I'm sure you can get either of the other two cheaper as well. Where reliability is concerned, I'm sure all three are plenty durable. I'm not worried about breaking mine any time soon.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't look at me. I own an 870, but I'll take an original Ithaca M37 over any of the above any day.

I have contemplated selling my 870 to get an M37 M&P 8-shot, but these thoughts made Alice (the 870) very angry. :evil: :D

·
Banned
114 Posts
Good luck with trying to purchase any of the new Ithacas. Everytime I've tried to order one they're out of business.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's why I said original. As in, used.

Ithaca is back in business; they came back in 2005. The pump gun they make now, under the name of M37, is actually an M87. 3" chamber and a trigger disconnector. Still nice, but not something I personally have any interest in. Nor am I particularly interested in the NORINCO Y37 clone. Thus, I'm talking about an original, used M37 M&P:

Back on topic; in regards to the OP, I don't have much experience with the FN Police shotgun. I do know it's a direct copy of the Winchester M1300, and probably slightly nicer quality than a current manufacture Winchester Speed Pump.

Between the 870 and the 590, I will usually opt for the Remington's steel receiver over the Mossberg's aluminum one. So far I've put about 1500 rounds of various types of ammo through Alice (factory birdshot, buckshot, and slugs along with some Pyrodex handloads of birdshot and slugs made by yours truly) with very little cleaning (other than scrubbing out the bore after using Pyrodex) and have only had one mechanical malfunction (tossed the next live round out the ejection port along with the fired one). As if anyone really needs this tip, I would really recommend against using Pyrodex (or blackpowder) loads unless you want to spend a LOT of time scrubbing out the bore afterwards. :oops:

So, reliable? Most definitely.

My particular model is marked "Remington 870 TACTICAL MAGNUM". It's an Express (plastic trigger guard) rather than a Police (aluminum trigger guard) and has a 20" cylinder barrel, +3 magazine extender, Speedfeed IV fixed pistolgrip stock, Pachmayr R3 recoil pad, and an OD green finish, all from the factory. As far as I know, the Tactial Magnums were a special market-test run of 870s released at SHOT '05 to try out the waters for the new Tactical product line line. Here is Alice next to my 28.5" Izhevsk IZH-43 double:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I only have experience with the 590 & 870, as I own both. I can say both are rugged and very reliable. The 870 weighs a little less than the 590. However the 590 cost a little less.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Hell, just get both! 8)

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I like my 590 but i wouldnt mind getting a 870

·
Registered
475 Posts
if you get the 870 go with their police magnum (not express magnum)receiver. if you get the 590 go with their 590A1 (not 590) receiver. why, because you get a metal trigger group instead of a polymer one which equals durablility. its going to cost you a little more money but its worth it.

i like the mossberg 590's over the 870 for the ergonomics of the tang safety and action bar release button. the 590 holds two more rounds then the 870. you will find more after market parts for the 870 though.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
i was thinking about snatching up another 590, but i would LOVE to get a SPAS-12

1 - 19 of 19 Posts