FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

Names Nicholas, and for Christmas 2011 my girlfriend purchased me a FNP-45 Tactical in FDE. I received the pistol on Christmas day and on further examination I noticed a chip missing off the back of the slide. Now trust me, this would be my 3-gun pistol and would shoot it religiously. So it being chipped wasn't a big deal, well maybe if it was used and only a few hundred dollars. But for a pistol that costs well over a few hundred I wanted it perfect.

photo(3).jpg

Well I called FNH USA and after talking to a few people someone finally said to send it in, and they would fix it for me. And this is where it all began....

Packaged the pistol up and sent it in they received it on 1/4/12, waited a few weeks and didn't hear anything, kept calling and getting "we are busy, we will keep you updated on it's status"

Waited a few more weeks, and got an update on the service website "We have determined your firearm is in need of replacement. The Browning/Winchester Service Center is processing an order for a replacement firearm."

Called immediately and was told they didn't keep specific service records for firearms that needed to be replaced, and within two weeks I would have a new pistol shipped to me, the rep confirmed they were in inventory. Well a after two weeks I got my lawyer involved. He sent them a letter asking to please send me a new and serviceable firearm in aesthetically pleasing condition.

And two days later the service manager Mike called me...

"Mr. Ranella, We don't make the FNP-45 Tactical anymore, I have one in black or I can refund your money"

So Almost two months later, and I don't get my pistol back, the guy was a complete jerk about it also.

Told him I wanted my money back for full purchase price, the $45 dollars it took to ship it to them, and the money for the FNH holster and two extra factory magazines.

So just if anyone is considering a purchase of FNH/Browning/Winchester just know if it breaks, you may have to wait two months, and you may never get it back.

-Nicholas
fnp.jpg

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Are you not able to have your firearm returned? Is a cosmetic blemish grounds for replacement - or did they find something more than the chip?

If nothing was identified, such as a crack that would call into question structure integrity, ask them to return your firearm ASAP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They wouldn't tell me what they found, said they found it after test fire. I can't imagine a blemish being grounds for not giving it back to me. And yes, They will not return it to me...

·
Administrator
11,744 Posts
They wouldn't tell me what they found, said they found it after test fire. I can't imagine a blemish being grounds for not giving it back to me. And yes, They will not return it to me...
Welcome to FNForum. It is unfortunate that it took that long to get this issue resolved. They did however offer you a new replacement black model or a financial agreement. I would imagine that if they found something not up to specifications the prudent thing would be to remove the gun from service. If they returned it to you and it malfunctioned they might be held liable.

Pity to loose a nice firearm like that due to such a minor cosemtic thing, if that was the sole issue.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wow. I hope I never have to involve CS for my FNH weapons, that is just pathetic. I wonder if they are severely understaffed or what.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
While this wasn't the quickest turn around, I believe you are culpable in that you didn't have enough patience and sent them a letter from a lawyer. What company would ever want to return an item in their possession to an individual who states that it has a defect and gets a lawyer involved. I bet there was nothing wrong other than your statement about the cosmetic defect.

I have had the same feeling waiting for something that you want immediately. You want it now and don't understand why they aren't jumping through hoops to meet your needs. You have to take into account that FN manufactures firearms for over 100 countries.

I am sure Mike may have a different scenario as to how things went down. While service didn't happen as quickly as you like, I am thankful that FN is willing to replace firearms for customer complaints of cosmetic defects, than to just return it and say nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What I like is he Willfully admits committing a federal offense (straw purchase)"Names Nicholas, and for Christmas 2011 my girlfriend purchased me a FNP-45 Tactical in FDE." "a straw purchase is defined as any purchase from a dealer holding a Federal Firearms License where the buyer conducting the transaction is acting as a proxy for another person. The law does not distinguish between someone who is purchasing on behalf of a person who legally cannot purchase or possess a firearm, and one who is not."
Not a good thing to admit to. Will you get caught. Probably not. But there is still a chance. Maybe FNH will do better when Colt finishes the Herstal Group buy out. I also agree with Green. I would love to have seen the test report.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What I like is he Willfully admits committing a federal offense (straw purchase)"Names Nicholas, and for Christmas 2011 my girlfriend purchased me a FNP-45 Tactical in FDE." "a straw purchase is defined as any purchase from a dealer holding a Federal Firearms License where the buyer conducting the transaction is acting as a proxy for another person. The law does not distinguish between someone who is purchasing on behalf of a person who legally cannot purchase or possess a firearm, and one who is not."
Not a good thing to admit to. Will you get caught. Probably not. But there is still a chance. Maybe FNH will do better when Colt finishes the Herstal Group buy out. I also agree with Green. I would love to have seen the test report.
Maybe she just gave him the money to purchase it?

·
Administrator
11,744 Posts

Maybe she just bought it herself and gifted it to him on Christmas.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
What I like is he Willfully admits committing a federal offense (straw purchase)"Names Nicholas, and for Christmas 2011 my girlfriend purchased me a FNP-45 Tactical in FDE." "a straw purchase is defined as any purchase from a dealer holding a Federal Firearms License where the buyer conducting the transaction is acting as a proxy for another person.
Not necessarily. Depends on the state you live in.

·
Registered
142 Posts
THis is not a straw purchase unless he is unable to purchase or own a gun himself. It is perfectly legal to buy a gun as a gift for another person.

Back on topic, you are very lucky that FNH even agreed to take the firearm back to try and repair cosmetic damage as they are not responsible, it is the buyers responsibility to inspect the firearm at time of purchase and mostly the FFL's responsibility to rectify unless you somehow purchased directly from FNH.
Please also understand that gun sales are up over 30% and all manufacturers are struggling to keep up with demand so there are expected wait times when sending anything in for repairs. This is not only FNH but all gun manufacturers. I work for one of the biggest gun dealers in the country and there are extended wait times on almost everything sent back, especially when sales are through the roof. Dealing with firearms, you must have patients.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
More than likely she purchased it, then he used a PP to "purchase" from her. Straw sales are those that include a legal buyer proxying towards an illegal buyer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
still a crime Tac he is not a spouse or relative but she can LOAN it to him. It's all in how you word it. The way he had it in the first post BAD. What gets me is just the lack of communication. I do understand that they probable get a good amount of returns in but the pic he posted of the QC checks running on it. there could at least been a paper trail. I would have tried a few more times before lawyering up but at least he got an answer and solution. not the one he probably wanted but at least there was a resolution.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
still a crime Tac he is not a spouse or relative. What gets me is just the lack of communication. I do understand that they probable get a good amount of returns in but the pic he posted of the QC checks running on it. there could at least been a paper trail. I would have tried a few more times before lawyering up but at least he got an answer and solution. not the one he probably wanted but at least there was a resolution.
As long as the firearm was transfered to him legally from her, it is not a straw purchase.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
back on topic, I'd ask to know why the gun was in need of replacement. A cosmetic blemish isn't the reason. I've contacted FNH once about a screw for my sight, and a slide release for my FSN. Had them in two weeks, no questions asked.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
It's statements like yours that cause me to break keyboards! Are you serious?:-x::FF:::th_sign0009:

Reactions: jathtech

·
Registered
16 Posts
you need to read the Big green book a little closer. It doesn't matter if they can own a weapon or not. I would talk to a supervisor before I would have gotten a lawyer involved. Like any customer service situation I believe it's hit and miss. Some just have more hits than misses. But could you call it a miss for him....... They are going to refund the money. Sorry I read Herstal is still up for sale from wallons and colt was looking at trying to buy it again. I could be wrong. Buffman that is what I was asking earlier from the QC progress. What happened where a blemish turned into a QC fail.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Where is the post I placed on this thread 15 min ago?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts