FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Late last summer I had an incident with my FNP 40. A round blew up in the gun. Luckily I wasn't hurt. What happened is the casing extractor broke causing the empty casing to not extract and another round went in and I fired causing the kaboom. I took it to a local gun smith and sure enough they saw that it was the extractor claw was broken. They offered to repair and which I said OK, but FNH prefers that you send it back to them so they did. It's been there for 4 weeks and now it's in process of being shipped back.

Below is an after shot of the casing that was stuck in the barrel.

I just wanted to share my story. Hopefully it will never happen again.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad to hear you are Ok after that I will defiantly check myfnp 40 as well just checked my fnx 45 tac and it is very sharp ad intact and your picture says a 1000 words

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I suspect the extractor broke in the k-boom and didn't cause it. I don't think it is possible to get a round to feed into the chamber through another round (that's an awful lot of brass to go through...). You would just get a double feed.

This looks like a legitimate out of battery fire, probably caused be something stuck on the slide or caught in between it and the primer. That's the only way to explain why the brass is so mushroomed out like it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That could be an explanation as well. That does make sense. I will have to do a little more research.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Home sweet home. I bought a M&P Shield 40 while this was being repaired.
That is a fire cracker so I am excited to try side by side.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Congrats on getting it back!

·
Registered
310 Posts
glad to see you got her back. I tell you I check my fnp40 after every shooting for any possible problems I can see. nothing and she is rolling strong

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took both my. 40's shooting last weekend. I do love shooting the FNP. Came home with no issues. All is well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts