FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the drive to my local dealer yesterday morning, to pick up my new FNP-40. I was quite excited about it, as having the opportunity to see one a few times had solidified my decision. After enjoying a pleasant visit, I made a beeline to my nearest indoor shooting range (it is brutally hot here in Phoenix, and i'm not about to die of heat stroke shooting in the desert) :-D

I performed an initial wipedown, in the event that there was any factory gunk or other stuff. After lubing her up good, I loaded the three included magazines; by the way, thanks FN for including three mags with these!

I put a man sized torso target out to 21 feet, and proceeded to do slow(ish) fire, sqeezing off a round every two seconds or so. To say that I was all over the map is an understatement. The gun felt great in my hand, but it is a totally different "feel" from my Beretta 96. After making the target look like a shotgun effect, I fired the second mag with better results.

I moved the new target out to 25 feet. On the third magazine, I was really beginning to understand the gun, and was able to get 13 rounds inside the center two rings center mass. The 14th round was *ahem*.....in his groin (a painful shot i'm sure). Who knows what i did wrong to let that one go......This gun is very accurate, much more so than I am, and certainly good enough for home protection and plinking, it's intended purpose.

On the first mag, the slide failed to lock back after the final round, but it didn't happen with the next two. I have read here previously that this mainly due to the tight recoil spring, and it will cease doing this once the gun is broken in a bit.

Recoil - I bought a box of Magtech (if i recall) 180g range type rounds. The recoil was very controllable, much more so than my Beretta 96 Inox. This surprised me, as the Beretta is heavier, has a longer barrel and one would think it would control the recoil better as a result. The FNP simply was fairly easy to handle. With the Beretta, I sometimes found myself anticipating the muzzle flip, which affects your accuracy. I didn't have this problem with the FN

Overall, to say that i'm pleased with the gun is an understatement. I'll go out on a limb here and say that I truly believe that I purchased the finest .40 for under $400 new (the price I paid). In fact, I'd put it up against many higher priced .40s any day of the week, and I think it would hold it's own reasonably well.

Thanks for reading, and I do appreciate the input from fellow forum members earlier this month when I was considering this purchase; I certainly don't regret it!

Happy Shooting, and stay safe!

Semper Fi!

Doug

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I should be picking up my FNP-9 in 2-3 weeks. The best part is, I'm picking it up at a place with an indoor range. All I'll have to do is walk about 10 yards and I'm there to test it out. Glad to see you like your new purchase.

May I suggest that your accuracy with the first mag through the gun was poor because you were anticipating the recoil like you said you sometimes do with your 96? :?

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Depending on what size your hands are look into getting a Hogue Handall for your FNP-40, I put one on mine and IMO its a lot more comfortable to grip now.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
djv38 said:
I should be picking up my FNP-9 in 2-3 weeks. The best part is, I'm picking it up at a place with an indoor range. All I'll have to do is walk about 10 yards and I'm there to test it out. Glad to see you like your new purchase.

May I suggest that your accuracy with the first mag through the gun was poor because you were anticipating the recoil like you said you sometimes do with your 96? :?
Always clean and oil a new gun prior to your first range trip... So, it will work 100% :?

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Always clean and oil a new gun prior to your first range trip... So, it will work 100%
It's actually gently used (just over 400 rds through it) so it shouldn't be a problem, but I'll give it a good look over to make sure it's clean and lubed before I fire it. If I do have to lube it at all, I can do it there :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts