FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today and fired a little over 100 rounds and 4 times the slide failed to remain open after the final round had fired. Could this be due to the target ammo? This is the second time I had fired my FNP-40, the first time was 50 rounds, so the gun has a little over 150 totals rounds through it. The gun was cleaned and lube both times prior to shooting. Did not happen the first time, only today. Could this be due to the gun getting hot? Should I give it a break between clips? Thanks for the help.
Steve

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Did it happen on all 3 of your magazines or just one in particular? I would see what happens during your next range session as your gun is still in the break-in round count from what it sounds like. Mark your mags with a number and pay attention to which one is used at the time of slide lock failure. Sounds like a magazine spring or follower issue if it keeps happening.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It happened to more than one mag. Should I load the mags with less rounds for the break in? What is good break in procedure?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Some FNP mags do have weak springs.

However, many FNPs also have overl power recoil springs. Try locking the slide back for a week or two, and then try again.

Also - is it possible U are thumbing the slide release and do not realize it. This is very common.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure I'm not thumbing the slide release but I'll pay more attention to that next time. I'll also do the "lock the slide back" trick for a week and try again next weekend.
thanks for the help! :D

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Every once in awhile my FNP40 will do that and the mag that does it I reload it and try again and it doesn't do it again :-? .

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
On mine it happened during the first range session 3 or 4 times but since then it has been flawless. I think Shipwreck offers good advice on the recoil spring.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm gonna try that and go at it again next weekend.
thanks guys
Steve

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's happened twice on my FNP-9, but I'm into my third box of 1,000 rounds. There was no obvious cause, but I'm OK with it. It's never had a FTF or FTE. Have fun breaking it in!

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
My 9 has never done that. Almost 1700 rounds through it with no failures of any kind.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys, got back from the range a little while ago. I did the "lock the slide back for a few days" trick and fired 150 rounds with no problems! I guess that did the trick! :? Thanks alot, I appreciate the help.
Hulley

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Hulley said:
Hey guys, got back from the range a little while ago. I did the "lock the slide back for a few days" trick and fired 150 rounds with no problems! I guess that did the trick! :? Thanks alot, I appreciate the help.
Hulley

:? :? :?

Glad ya got it licked!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts