FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize we have a lot of excitement with the new FNP-45's out, but I thought I would give my range report on my new FNP-40. I had a chance to put ~125 rounds through it on Friday.

Initial impressions:
This is one accurate piece. Hit point of aim and grouped very well with both 165 gr. FMJ and 180 gr. JHP's shooting from a standard unsupported weaver stance. Felt recoil was very pleasant and it didn't seem to have the same "snappiness" I have felt from XD's and Sig 40's. Not one failure to feed or fire. Ate all ammo with no problems. I did have some issues with the slide not locking back on the last round fired a couple of times, but I attribute that to the brand new recoil spring which hasn't broken in yet. (I may need to leave my slide locked back for a few days to soften it up) That being said it seemed to only occur on the first few magazine loads. The trigger on these pistols is outstanding. Smooth and light. Pistol points naturally, feels well balanced for a polymer gun, and feels good in hand with the curved back-strap in my case.

After action review: I field stripped the pistol and examined all the internals. Currently there is no sign of any stress or flex to the right polymer wall of the fire control group. I will continue to monitor this through the life of the pistol as most have reported this after 300 rounds or so. I am seeing the slight ding/scrape on the left underside of the slide that has been mentioned in other posts (right under the 'P'), but I'm not very concerned about it as it is only a minor cosmetic issue. Cleaning this pistol is a cinch and it is extremely simple to break down. Very impressed with the good design in this regard. Way to go FN engineers!

For other's who are interested, the date of manufacture/testing is 8/20/2007, serial range 61CMR082**

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the report, and your impressions are similar to mine. I have 1,000+ rounds through my FNP-40 and it has eaten everything that I've fed it. It feeds as slickly as my Glock 23 (I sold the Glock after getting the FNP) and more slickly than my M&P 9mm, Kahr CW9 or SA 1911.

You made reference to the engineering, and that's what strikes me about the pistol. It feels like a well engineered pistol. It feeds slickly, breaks down and cleans easily and all of the controls are ergonomic and easy to operate. Great trigger, accurate and soft recoiling.

The wear on the slide under the "P" is minor and hasn't progressed on mine after the first few hundred rounds.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is my follow up report. The gun has broken in nicely, no problems with magazines failing to lock the slide back. I put 100 more rounds through it with no failures. Shot Independence 165gr and Rem UMC 180 gr FMJ. I was able to put plenty of rounds in the black at 15 yards which isn't bad for my lack of pistol experience.

AAR: inspected all parts. No further wear is showing under the P on the slide. No problems detected with the fire control group. Looks good. Love this gun.

This puts my round count at 225.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ive just reached 500rounds, 450 of which were today, through my FNP 40 and it seems ok. No flex or crack. The gun is amazing, rapid fire and DA from holster shots were well within a silhouette at 15 yds. Im not a great shot, at least with a pistol, but i have 1, 11 shot group spanning 2 in, and multiple 3-5 shot groups within 1 inch. Shooting quick follow up shots were easy and were very close to the first. I did have 2 FTF but I attribute this to the quality of the reloads i was shooting. both of them came from the same batch and I dont think the slide was moving back far enough. No bullets from that batch could get the slide to lock either. To fix this, I used random winchester factory bullets for the last round. That cured it. To try and trick the gun, I mixed loads such as Remington 180 FMJ, winchester 165 FMJ, my own 165 JHP and 165 FMJ into 1 magazine and it fired all of them. The ergonomics of the gun fit me perfectly, with the curved back strap. I was able to drop a mag and load a new one and fire a well placed shot in less than 3 seconds, which i feel is good. Now this is not a target pistol, but after all ive put it through in the past week or so, im confident that should i ever need to defend myself, Ill be fine. And since I bought it mostly for home defense and eventually a carry possibility, I should tip my hat to the factory night sights as well. They are excellent; if i can see just the outline of any threat in any lighting conditions, Ill hit it. This is my first pistol, and I dont see a need for anything else. The scratch under the 'p' has stopped and my side walls are fine. Since mine and yours (B52U) have the same serials and test fire dates, I'm guessing this is good news. As for the people who are worried about all the recent bad publicity, the trigger group problems seem to have been fixed as of recently, and i highly recommend this weapon. In my novice hands, it feels great, shoots great and on top of that, its an FN. If you're still on the edge, go shoot one, and you wont be disappointed. A friend of mine held a FNP-9 and bought it without ever hearing about the gun. to quote him "It just felt perfect"

I have lots of pics, but i cant find the thread on how to post them, sorry, new guy here. A little help?

·
Registered
873 Posts
450 rounds in one day!?!?!?!?!?

Any cleaning during the session? Or all 450 without cleaning?

I've always thought my 40 was a very easy shooter as far as recoil goes, compared to other 40s I've shot. How's your hand? HEHE!!!

Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hand is fine, and no, no cleaning. I meant it to be a test, and this thing performed. But when I got home, man that thing was dirty. spent close to 2 hours getting it all cleaned up. and let me correct myself, i said that 11 shot group was spanning 2 inches, i meant a 2" radius. sorry.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the report Rizzo. I have a friend who shoots a Sig, but shot my FNP and preferred it to his Sig. Similar feel, but better trigger. Good gun, and as your friend noted, it just feels right in the hand.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the range report. Good to know you tested the crap out of it with no major problems.

That is a lot of rounds. Good thing you reload a lot of them. Hurts me to think I'm shooting anywhere from .30 to .35 cents down range with every trigger pull. All the range safety officers wanted my brass. Since I don't reload, I obliged. I guess I just need to watch for Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse Coupons, or at least slow down and take my time between groupings and range cease-fires. It's more fun to take time and socialize with other shooters anyway.

I should add that my motivation for buying this pistol was the same as Rizzo's. Home defense use and concealed carry. I'm signed up for a class in 2 weeks. My feeling is this combat designed pistol is perfect for this application.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I Put 100 more rounds down range today. No malfunctions, accuracy is great, and no sign of FCG problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts