FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a FNP 40 new about a month ago and so far I have put about 200 rounds through it. Sometimes the slide stays back on the last shot and sometimes it does not. This happens with all three mags that came with the gun. Has this happened to any of you guys?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It happened with my FNP 9. The issue is the slide catch is not being lifted up high enough by the mag follower. I fixed it by bending a slight radius to the prong that contacts the mag follower when it's empty.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called FN

and they are sending it to Missouri for repair. They are professional and courteous, just as I expected.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mag springs. Check the mag springs. Buy a new mag and see if the slide locks to the rear...if it does, its the mag springs. That is what happend w/ mine. And remember, FNP mag springs are not replaceable...not because you can't do it, but because the springs aren't sold seperately.

If this is happening to a lot of pistols, I would take a guess that either MOOSE1507 has the right idea and it's a problem w/ the gun - or FN has had a bad batch of mag springs recently so they are wearing faster than they should.

Drew

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
If replacement springs could be found, this would be a minor issue. I'm having to replace my HK mags with Wollfe Springs - and, it seems that 1/2 the guys at HK Pro have to do this too. So, even a company like HK has this issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
HK, Sigs, glocks anyone that uses a spring in the mag has this issue. It gets worse the more you shoot your gun. It is not from being fully compressed as often rumors lead you to believe. It is from the compress/uncompress of shoot through your mag. Everyone has to replace their springs, some sooner than others. I don't see any listed by wolff yet but I'm sure someone carries them.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
nofear said:
Everyone has to replace their springs, some sooner than others. I don't see any listed by wolff yet but I'm sure someone carries them.
AT the moment, unfortunately,. there is no way to get just mag springs for the FNPs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Slide return

Moose is right about the slide release tang. It probably needs to be very carefully tweaked rearward to more fully engage the magazine follower.
Of course, if that is already happening, then the culprit is most likely the mag spring tension, like everyone else suggested! Simply remove the slide assy. and insert a mag and watch for it to engage the slide release/lock tang. If it is not pushing the slide release/lock all the way up, common sense will make it obvious what the FIXX is! ie.spring tention increase or slide lock/release tang alignment

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got my FNP back today.

I shot a few mags through it and the slide stayed back with no problems. I hope this is the end of the issue because I like the pistol and the way it feels in my hands. It is the first .40 S&W I have purchased but probably not the last.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: I got my FNP back today.

freeway4859 said:
I shot a few mags through it and the slide stayed back with no problems. I hope this is the end of the issue because I like the pistol and the way it feels in my hands. It is the first .40 S&W I have purchased but probably not the last.
freeway, did you send the mag in to FN? How much did it cost?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I shot my new FNP40 yesterday for the first time, picked it up Saturday. Two of the mags lock the slide back one does not. I latter removed the slide and checked the mag follower acting on the slide stop. Looks like a weak spring or follower issue, it will work the second or third time the slide is racked by hand but the slide stop does not go all the way up then. One mag never worked while actually fireing the other two work fine. I need to call and see about a replacement mag.
I do like the pistol very much. shoots as well a Sig or H&K. The jury is out on the .40 S&W round, this is my first .40. May get the .357 Sig. barrel if FN makes them latter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did send the mags with the gun. At first I thought it was just one of the three mags but after a while I had problems with all of them. It did not cost a thing, FN even paid for the shipping. Turn around was 3-4 weeks. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had the same problem with mine. The slide not staying open when the clip is empty. CS sent me new followers. I've installed them, haven't been to the range yet to se eif it works.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I've had the same problem with mine. The slide not staying open when the clip is empty. CS sent me new followers. I've installed them, haven't been to the range yet to se eif it works.
Seems interesting it would be the followers and not the mag springs, unless there has been a slight redesign to the followers. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
stormshooter said:
If you don't have more than a couple hundred rounds through it, try locking the slide back for a week. The recoil springs are stiff and need a little breaking in and this usually works.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same problem on one mag. I simply removed the base plate and stretched the mag spring. Go slow, small amount until it locks the slide back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll try both suggestions. I looked at the old vs the new followers and really didn't see any difference at all. I've only put 20 rounds thru it so far.
I've got the bullet rattle in the clips too. 9 rounds in the clips eliminates the rattle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts