FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I was checking out an FNX at my local fun shop and it occurred to me: if the FNP had this mag catch, I'd probably shoot it a lot more. My issue has always been that Hi-Power-esque/early CZ75-ish thumb rest getting in the way of my reloads. I did a tactical class with it and it slowed me down a ton, leading me to pass up that beautiful trigger in favor of my Glock 22. Without extended mag catches, my FNP was doomed to be a safe queen... or so I thought. I did stippling on my Glock and Mossberg 930, and it made a ton of difference for me. I realized I'd probably never sell my FNP, so there was little sense in keeping her stock. If you got it, run it, right? So I shaved down the thumb rest and stipled the frame wherever my hands made contact. Gonna shoot her tomorrow, and then after the smaller pieces of plastic wear down, DuraCoat the frame in FDE or coyote. A word of advice for anyone wanting to do the same: the interchangeable backstrap is made of a softer plastic that will melt faster and look different from the rest of the frame, so be careful with how long you apply heat here. The gun is otherwise stock except for some polishing I did on the feed ramp and taking that corner off the takedown lever that was scratching the slide up.
image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
great work, it looks really nice and thanks for taking the time to post up! Can't wait to hear how they feel after you shoot! Thanks again and nicely done!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Here's my Glock 22, I reduced the backstrap and took down the trigger guard hook and finger grooves a little. Points much better than before, I can aim with my eyes closed and the sights will be on target! I did this one a little over three years ago and the pattern hasn't worn down much at all. It "bites" less than when it was fresh, but I think it's just right now.
image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Very nice, I like your work!

·
Premium Member
9,490 Posts
Very nicely done. I can't even imagine how badly I'd muck that up.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Looks good!

I've considered doing this to mine a few times. So far, I've left it as is other than chopping down the polymer around the mag release so I can hit it easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, no pics, but I shot her today. Even with stout reloads, the gun stayed firmly in hand, although new stippling always seems to bite a little until the sharper parts wear down. My FN doesn't seem to like Hornady Action Pistol bullets in 180gr, but the Precision Delta in 180gr and the 165gr Montana Gold all made for good plinking ammo with TiteGroup. I recently got some Power Pistol and reloaded for my CZ75 (9mm) with good results, so I'll be coking up some .40 for the FNP with that soon. Mag definitely drops free much better, no more hang ups like before. I'll post again in a few months when I finish the DuraCoat!

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Your post was edited.

Use PM's for the part that was removed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts