FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at a loss; the first 500-600 round went off without a hiccup. I had no jams, no FTFs. I noticed a few shooting sessions ago I had a FTF, then another; I thought maybe I was limp-wristing it. I was at a loss. Now, today, I was running 3-4 FTFs for every 14 round mag. I'm using the same ammo as the first 500, Winchester white box. The only thought I have is this; I keep my mag full by my night stand, and perhaps this is damaging my mag springs? I did try a different mag on my last 14 shots, and it went off without a hitch. Is anyone else having mag problems? Please let me know, since this is my primary home defense gun, and this type of unreliability is unacceptable. It is also inexplicable, considering the forst 500 went without a hiccup. I love the accuracy, so I'd hate to sell it. HELP!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
It seems like you are only having trouble with one magazine. Right?

Is this the same one that you are using for night stand duty? Is there any chance that this magazine has ben dropped on the top and perhaps bent or distorted the top in ANY way? I have had no problem but wonder if your feed lips are just slightly out of spec. And if that's the case then that could contribute to your problem.

Let me know. If your magazine has become too tight at the top then that could cause the case to be pinched too tightly to release the round as smoothly as it should. It might look fine but compare it with your other magazines. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
+1. First place to look should almost always be magazines unless the problem is obviously something else. I've kept 2 of my 3 magazines with 13 rounds in them for months and haven't had any issues yet. I'm around 700 rounds now. I try to rotate one out (of being loaded) every time I go shooting, which isn't too often. If your other mags work, then replace the bad one and sleep better at night. 30-40 bucks is worth sleeping well IMO.

·
Registered
323 Posts
When this has come up on other forums, metallurgists have posted saying that compression of mag springs does not lead to failure unless ther is something wrong with the spring steel to begin with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts