FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I got my FNP 45 last April, I had almost listened to my wife's urging that I didn't need a higher capacity and caliber home defense gun than my .38

Now my wife's glad I have the FN.

Crime isn't too high here in my neck of Denver, so when I heard the doorbell ring once at 11:45 pm last Friday, I thought my neighbor had come over to tell me my garage door was still up. Then the doorbell started ringing as fast as it could be pressed. Still in a sleepy fog, I started to get up before I thought to reach behind my bed and get the FNP-45 from the safe. Fortunately, I picked it up before going downstairs to check on the commotion. I turned on no lights and went immediately and quietly to the front door.

Standing in my anteroom and looking through the peephole, I saw one male standing on my porch very close to the door. He was holding something behind him with one hand, and pressing the doorbell with the other. There was no vehicle in sight. While I watched for a few seconds, FN firmly in hand and finger beside the trigger guard, I saw the faces of two other males peek around the corner onto the porch as they became impatient for someone to answer. I had seen enough to decide that this was what cops mean when they say, "report any suspicious behavior to the police." I woke my wife and had her call 911.

The doorbell still blaring, I returned ownstairs to the peephole to monitor the situation.

Then one of my "guests" made a break for the gate to the backyard, where a squeaky board on the deck announced his presence. "We goin' in?" said one bad guy to the bell ringer--now carelesslessy assuming no one was home.

The guy returned from the back yard and apparently had seen something he didn't like--maybe my motion detector light. All three, communicating again in low voices, made a beeline over my lawn and walked quickly to the east. The bell ringer clearly returned a handgun from his right hand to his waistband before taking off. He left his calling card of frustration by dealing two kicks to the milkman's delivery box.

Returning upstairs, the 911 dispatcher told my wife to have me to secure my gun. An instant later, two cop cars arrived with light bars flashing. One officer, toting a shotgun, ran around back.

My nuisance guests were never found, but the cops told me this is a typical modus operandi and that I did the right thing by not answering the door, not backlighting myself, not indicating my presence, and by staying in a defensible location.

Nobody got hurt in this episode, so you'll never hear it in the media. I'm just another ordinary joe who's had it proven to him that a poweful handgun is a useful tool for the home.

I now look at my stainless over black FN with a new admiration that's hard to explain. The FNP-45 gets an extra trip to the range for being there when I needed her.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Glad you and your wife are OK.

It's an unfortunate fact of life, but bad things happen to good people, no matter where you are.

·
Registered
217 Posts
glad to hear your safe, we have been having alot of home invasions here in alabama lately.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Glad everything turned out well, and it sounds like you handled everything very well. I'm taking mental notes on this, like don't backlight yourself when checking to see who's at the door. I probably would have turned on my hall light then flipped on the porch lights, which probably wouldn't have been the best idea.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ryan, I'm on the east side, near the Aurora suburb.

For those of you watching the topic, I had a debrief today with a friend of mine who's a long time cop (lieutenant) on the Aurora, CO force. He made an interesting point that had these guys decided to kick the door and make their entrance, and had I opened fire, some trial lawyer could argue that I was "laying in wait" for them because I did not announce my presence and my possesion of a gun.
:roll:
So I guess another "hindsight is 20/20" takeaway is this: HELP PROTECT THE LOCAL BAD GUYS AND MAKE THEIR WELFARE YOUR PRIORITY. Don't maintain silence as I did. Tell them something tactically neutral in a loud voice, like, "Do not enter. I have a gun and I'll use it!"

DON'T say, "If you come in I'll kill/shoot you," or some such thing because this could be twisted to mean that you invited them in and had a pre-existing intention to do them harm.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I have heard that the Denver area is very anti gun.

Here in Texas, not saying anything wouldn't matter. Thankfully, we have the castle law. And, even before then, I do not think it would matter (here).

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I would like to think that if someone breaks into my house, my snakes scar them off before I have to even think about using one of my firearms.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Here in Texas, not saying anything wouldn't matter. Thankfully, we have the castle law. And, even before then, I do not think it would matter (here).
Heck, in Texas you can shoot them in the back as they flee with your neighbors goods. :?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
For those of you watching the topic, I had a debrief today with a friend of mine who's a long time cop (lieutenant) on the Aurora, CO force. He made an interesting point that had these guys decided to kick the door and make their entrance, and had I opened fire, some trial lawyer could argue that I was "laying in wait" for them because I did not announce my presence and my possesion of a gun.
The fact that the guy on the porch had a handgun ready to go would prevent this argument from holding I would hope. Since the guy had a gun that he clearly intended to use on you I would also hope that you could have legally shot him in the driveway or street for that matter.

Either way, the best course of action is to avoid confrontation at all costs, otherwise your financial future is at risk with the lawsuits that would follow.

I find it interesting that this cops analysis contradicted what the police told you earlier about not making them aware of your presence. Life saving tactics and the law don't always live in harmony it seems. Cops aren't lawyers.

·
Banned
93 Posts
Good work. You did the right thing by not opening the door.

I also find it downright appauling that you could be accused of "lying in wait". These scumbags were trespassing on your property, they are the aggressors. If they kick down your door toting a handgun with the intent to do harm and end up eating a few of your .45 hollowpoints instead then thats all their fault not yours. If only the law saw it this way. :roll:

This is why I put stickers on my doors to the effect of "If you are found here tonight, you will be found here tommorow." This means you are on notice and if you enter without permission you will be shot and it's your own damn fault. At the very least this plays to your benefit if you do have to shoot and the case goes to court.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
It seems like everything is up to interpretation. If I saw they had a gun (even behind his back suspiscious looking way), I would not announce myself for a couple of reasons:
1. I announce I have a gun and am willing to use it, there's a chance they open fire through the door/wall towards you, since you just gave up your location and let them know you're armed.

2. I don't think it is legally necessary. If they come in with weapons drawn, the threat is real and I believe it could be argued favorably that you were not 'lying in wait,' especially since the cops had already been called.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The easy way to clear that up is that only a suvivor can say that you didnt tell the guy that came in your house you had a gun. The best way to clear that up is shot placement, dead guys cant talk.

case solved.

Its like hot potatoe when he kicks the door in yell gun just before you fire.

You can also put a sign in your yard ( Unwillingly entering this house may result in being shot, ask before you enter ) that way you can sew the intruder for not asking to enter you house. :shock: :shock:

·
Banned
93 Posts
I have been thinking about this and see some others are drawing similar conclusions.

Let's argue this. If you did announce you had a gun as advised, say they still advanced anyway and you shot them, could it then be argued by the lawyer types that you incited the conflict? What is to say that voicing you have a handgun will resolve the situation? Whats to say these guys aren't wacked out on drugs and feeling invincible? I mean the ridiculous legal sword cuts both ways does it not? Either you were "lying in wait" or you "egged them on to attack"... right?

I SAY WRONG! You are the homeowner minding your own business, the scumbags trying to invade your house are the aggressors. As others have said, doing things by the book doesn't always seem to run in the same vein as defending your life. No court in the land should be allowed to prosecute a man for defending his property and loved ones with deadly force when warranted.

The way you handled the situation was entirely adequate and I can only hope to perform in the same manner if such an unfortunate circumstance arose.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts