FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my FNP-45 to the range yesterday, but the ammo wouldn't let me shoot it. :cry:

Ammo was WWB 230gr. FMJ. Upon loading the 3 mags that come with the FNP, I noticed all of them were "sticking". At about the 3-4 round the follower would stick in the mag body from being mis-aligned and tension would be lost on the top round. If the top round was removed, the remaining rounds would stay depressed, only to pop up a short while later. All 3 mags. did the same thing, some worse then others. When the least "sticky" one quit working I just put the gun away.

However, this was no fault of the gun or magazine whatsoever. Later, upon loading other ammo, Independence 230gr. FMJ and Federal HST 230gr. JHP, the problem completely went away.

So if anyone has similar problems with WWB in their FNP-45 please post it here. This pistol has shot about 700rnds. of this same ammo with no malfunctions and to this is the first box it had trouble with. Not that I am really suprised because it is after all WWB. :)

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
That's wierd. :evil:

Do you have any other WWB that you could compare the bad rounds too? Could they be out of spec?

·
Registered
25 Posts
H&K 4 LIFE, the same happened to me, I switch to blazer aluminum and since then I have have no issues (over 900 rds) last week I try the WWB again (50 rds) and the same happened where they got stock on the mag like 3/4 full. will keep using Blazer

·
Registered
64 Posts
that is weird. i have never had that problem with my fnp 45 or wwb. my fnp likes blazer aluminum as well, but not blazer brass

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have never had a problem with WWB in any caliber until this last box.

I do not have a caliper, so I cannot measure the case length/outside diameter of the rounds. When held next to an Independence .45, the WWB looked to be bigger in diameter, but this could just be my eyes playing tricks on me.

The Wal-mart where I get my ammo from before going to the range does have Blazer and I have used it with great results in my P7M8. However, I have never seen Blazer in .45 there, only 9mm and .40. :(

It's at least nice to know I'm not the only one with the problem, and it's defiantly the ammo. I'm thinking of calling Winchester with the batch code to see if they will do something about it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just had this happen using WWB ammo and an Uplula mag loader.
The first mag loaded fine. The next one started having loading problems at the 9th round. I tried 2 more times with the mag loader and then loaded it by hand.

The next mag loaded fine.

At first I thought I had a defective mag. The ammo from the other mags acted the same way and vice versa.

It doesn't like to load by hand either. Even after getting it to load all the way and trying to chamber a round it hung up after 2 rounds and failed to feed.

I'll get some more ammo tomorrow and see what that does.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ok then, WWB is out.

Federal 230 gr FMJ loads & feeds just fine in the suspect mag.

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My mags reacted even worse. About 4 rounds in and you knew something was wrong. The most accepting of my mags. took 10 rounds but still malfunctioned when firing.

Seems like a rash of bad .45 WWB going around. I only own one .45 (the FNP) but would love to see if this stuff worked in another gun and in turn different magazines.

We should all call Winchester and complain. :lol:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Here is how the ammo measured.
Federal. Base =.470", rim = .474
WWB. Base = .468", rim = .474

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting. So the cases of your WWB were actually slightly tapered?

I'm starting to think the malfunction may be due to this tapering causing the follower to sit crooked in the magazine, thus resulting in poor stacking and feeding of the rounds.

Whatever the case our FNP's are fine, it's this damn WWB! :-D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts