FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put 50 through my new FNP-45 to break it in, and I am pleased. No failures to feed or fire, and I only had one of the three mags fail to lock back on the last round. I suspect that after a couple hundred more rounds, that will rectify itself as it has for others.

I was shooting groups of ten, just to keep things even; Remington UMC round nose. I'm not really much of a marksman, nor was I really concerned with my groups this time out since I was just breaking it in, but as I said before, I'm pleased. I was doing 7 yards the first 40, but for the last ten I pushed it out to 15 and stuck a Shoot-n-C on it. Definitely better than I expected to do, all things considered.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's exceptionally good for me. I'm not sure I'd be able to duplicate it, but this target's up on the fridge now. :D

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
That is nice, especially for a new weapon that you have only put 40 rounds through it at 7 yards :shock:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Slide Lock Malfunction

Congrats on your marksmanship! Don't be too concerned about the slide lock issue. I've devoted considerable "research" to the issue, and the suspect magazine now works flawlessly for me. Seems it goes away after the slide lock fork's mechanics break in. Do be careful removing the mag after a slide lock malfunction to avoid damage to the magazine folower.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Not bad shooting....... :?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I'm taking it back to the range on Sunday, hopefully I can get a repeat performance. My hands aren't always the steadiest, so it really depends on me, but I'm very encouraged by that first time out. I think the weight of the gun really helps me.

As for the slide lock issue, I remember reading your posts regarding the issue, and that's exactly why I'm not worried about it. Thank you. In fact, I have to throw you a karma point for that.

I think I see an FNP-9 in my not-so-distant future. I don't understand how these guns aren't more popular.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All three mags locked the slide back with no problem today. I did at the very end of the day have a problem loading all fourteen rounds of Blazer brass into one of the mags, so I marked it and checked it out when I got home. I still don't know what was binding, but I took it apart, wiped it down, and loaded fourteen into it just fine.

My groups were pretty good, and it ate everything I gave it today. :?

·
Registered
25 Posts
That is some awesome marksmanship! Now I have to get an FNP-45.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, and I don't think you'd be disappointed. So far mine has been accurate and 100% reliable. Really a bargain for the price.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think you will find that as you become more acustomed to shooting it your groups will tighten up but believe me that isn't bad at all. What I see in your pictures is more than adequate for most situations where you would be in a defense situation. Concentrate on trigger control and breathing and the results will improve quickly Pretty soon you will find yourself doing that @ 25 yards. That's a great start.
:?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fusileer 72: I agree with you. I can do pretty good with an issue M9, but I know I need more time on the range to get better.
Hey Raggededge, I know you said you used UMC ammo, but did you use any other brands? Which kind of ammo did it like the best?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That first day all I used was a box of UMC, but I have since put Winchester white box round nose, Winchester SilverTips, and Blazer brass through it as well. Everything has fed through without a single failure to feed or fire, but my tightest group so far was still from that first day with the UMC.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Four months later and only a few hundred more through it, but still no major failures other than the slide locking back with one of the magazines. I snuck about 100 in today before the range closed. I had a mixed box of WWB round and FMJ, Winchester SilverTip, and Blazer Brass. Not one fail to feed, fire, or eject.

It looks like that one magazine is slightly suspect. It's the same one I marked once before when I couldn't fit all fourteen rounds, and failed to lock back twice today. I took it apart and cleaned it, but the follower still stuck a little when I went to load it. There aren't any visual problems, but something is obviously hanging up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
raggededge said:
Four months later and only a few hundred more through it, but still no major failures other than the slide locking back with one of the magazines. I snuck about 100 in today before the range closed. I had a mixed box of WWB round and FMJ, Winchester SilverTip, and Blazer Brass. Not one fail to feed, fire, or eject.

It looks like that one magazine is slightly suspect. It's the same one I marked once before when I couldn't fit all fourteen rounds, and failed to lock back twice today. I took it apart and cleaned it, but the follower still stuck a little when I went to load it. There aren't any visual problems, but something is obviously hanging up.
I would take apart the magazine and clean the inside with a degreaser or a lubricant, then dry it off and see if that fixes the problem. If it does not, than I do not know what to do.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I already have twice. I'm not majorly concerned, and I know if I continue to have problems that FN will take care of me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
raggededge said:
I already have twice. I'm not majorly concerned, and I know if I continue to have problems that FN will take care of me.
Well, I am sorry to hear about that. I know FN will take care of the problem.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like I said, it's really no big deal. I'm not even willing to call it a problem until it happens again next time out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts