FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally taking the new FNP-45 to the range in about an hour. I'll give a good report on my findings later.

I called FN about the P45 I got at the factory here in Columbia SC and they said that the model I was given [with the two 14rd mags and one 15rd mag (the one with the rounded bottom)] definitely has a three position selector switch. This allows for carrying the FNP-45 just as one might a 1911, "cocked and locked." However, FN says it does NOT recommend this mode of carry any more than any other gun manufacturer would. Carrying a weapon cocked and locked is always a personal decision and should not be taken lightly by beginners.

Following is a full explanation of how the 3 position selector switch works on the FNP-45. So, if you are already familiar with such selectors you need not read any further...

With the FNP-45 selector switch in the top (or horizontal) position it is in "SAFE" mode (weapon will not fire when the trigger is pulled to the rear). In fact the trigger has a completely "empty" feel as you pull it all the way to the rear. There is absolutely no resistance and nothing happens within the pistol. This is so that, not matter the position of the firing mechanism, it will not fire.

Next, the selector switch can be easily, but distinctly, moved downward into the next "FIRE" position. A large dark red warning dot is readily apparent above the switch when in this position. The weapon will now fire in both double action (DA) or single action (SA).
Note for Newbies: DA is when you must pull the trigger back to both cock the hammer or firing pin and fire. SA is when you only have to pull the trigger to fire because the weapon has already been cocked [either by pulling the hammer to the rear and locking it into position or you have charged the upper receiver (slide) by either pulling it back to lock the firing mechanism ("sling-shotting")].

Finally, with noticeably more resistance (the way it should be) the selector switch can be moved further downward into the third and final "DECOCKED" position. This happens with a noticeable click for operations in low light.
Note for Newbies: A decocked pistol allows the hammer to safely fall forward out of the fully the cocked position. The weapon can still be fired, but only in a DA mode or by re-charging the slide by pulling it fully to the rear to re-cock the hammer, putting the trigger in SA mode.

Hope this puts all those selector switch and Cocked/Locked carry questions to rest. If I can figure out how to put photos in place I'll try and get pictures of each of the positions inserted appropriately in this post.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Also note, Art is talking about the USG model, as there are 2 models.

I have pictures of my FNP-9 USG in the "Safe" and "Fire" positions, but they aren't close up. If you go to "FNP Picture Thread" on page 9 or so, you can see my pistol in these two modes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wondering if it was the USG model, but I thought they only came in the desert color. I hadn't asked for it when I went to the FN plant here in town to pick it up. It was just a group of their "overstocks". I was just wanting the regular FNP-45 in a two-tone. So when Lisa held up the weapon and asked if that one was alright, I just said, "Looks good to me. I'll take it." At $389, new, I wasn't looking to conduct dental hygiene on any herd of gift horses.

By the way, is there anything else, other than the selector switch that makes the USG model different from the regular FNP-45?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Art SC said:
By the way, is there anything else, other than the selector switch that makes the USG model different from the regular FNP-45?
Yes, it has extra serrations on the front of the slide.

It's kind of odd that the USG is available in black and in two tone with the the stainless slide, but the FDE one is not out yet. Once I found out the black ones were available I tracked one down.

On another note, The one odd 15 round magazine is another giveaway. The standard ones come with 3 14 rounders. The should have put 3 15 rounders in there.

It would be nice if FN would make that mag extension available for purchasing. If you look at the actual magazine body, they are pretty much identical, except for the fact that the round indicators are specific to each mag. But if you ignore that, the bodies themselves are the same. It looks like all you would need is that extension to be able to convert your 14 round mags into 15 rounders. Assuming that the springs are the same.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So how do you guys go about buying direct from the plant? Do you have to live locally? I'm really thinking about getting rid of my xd-9 and picking up the FNP-9 USG as a replacement, and that price sounds really nice.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
cRyan said:
So how do you guys go about buying direct from the plant? Do you have to live locally? I'm really thinking about getting rid of my xd-9 and picking up the FNP-9 USG as a replacement, and that price sounds really nice.
On the thread that this possibility was talked about - it was mentioned that employees are allowed "X" number of gun purchases a year. And, it seems that unless you know one of the employees there - it's not gonna happen. At least that was my take on it. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ShipWreck said:
cRyan said:
On the thread that this possibility was talked about - it was mentioned that employees are allowed "X" number of gun purchases a year. And, it seems that unless you know one of the employees there - it's not gonna happen. At least that was my take on it. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks. Anyone have a connection? :-D

Thanks for the thread, also, and sorry for the short hijack. I'm definitely interested in the USG model though. Color is not too much of a concern, so bring on FDE.

Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
cRyan said:
ShipWreck said:
cRyan said:
Thanks. Anyone have a connection? :-D

Thanks for the thread, also, and sorry for the short hijack. I'm definitely interested in the USG model though. Color is not too much of a concern, so bring on FDE.

Happy Thanksgiving.
I'll sell you my FNP-9 USG FDE for $1500 :lol:
I love it and I'll probably never sell it, unless you wan't to pay my asking price or more :-D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Will the switch go all the way from SAFE to DECOCK in a single motion,or does something stop it half way?

With adrenaline flowing, I can imagine someone decocking it inadvertantly, kinda defeating the cocked and locked feature if it will go all the way.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, Uncle, it will go from Safe to Decock in one smooth motion. I do it often.

Read more about this in this FNP-45 Range/Performance Report under "Grip".

http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=11602

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Uncle Screwtape said:
Will the switch go all the way from SAFE to DECOCK in a single motion,or does something stop it half way?

With adrenaline flowing, I can imagine someone decocking it inadvertantly, kinda defeating the cocked and locked feature if it will go all the way.
There's no "stop" per se; it's more of a notch and is noticeable. It is possible you could, but it is unlikely in my opinion. It's heavier when decocking then just taking off the safety. If you get your thumb on it good, it will decock, but if you practice this enough, it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well I don't have this problem but I wish I did, I have and early "regular" model but on my HK pistols there is no problem stopping at fire as the amount of pressure to decock is quite a bit more than the go form safe to fire. But I guess someone in a panic and un used to it could go to decock , I guess that is why we need to train with our weapons. I don’t know how many of us can shoot enough to get muscle memory but this function can be learned for free. Practice makes, what is it now? Anyone out there want to trade their dangerous USG for an unfired very early serial number FNP 45 let me know.
Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts