FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FNP-45 stainless two tone.

The decocker doesn't work if the hammer is half-cocked.

I think this needs to get rectified, or explained in the manual. It's not per spec, is it? FN, what about this half-cocked state? The decocker ought to safely (as best as that can be done, not a guarentee) into a decocked state. I'd be glad to relay the repro-case on how to make it happen to those who are interested in checking your own: Put the gun into DA. Aim safely, and pull the trigger enough until you move the hammer and hear a click, but not to fire. Left off the trigger. Notice the hammer is half-cocked. Press the decocker. Notice nothing happens. If this test works for you, then your gun and mine have the same problem.

If you say it's operator error, then explain what the error is and what the decocker is not-supposed to do. ;-)

Great gun. I enjoy it and so does my ammo dealer.

About the magazines.. Damn who put the springs in those things? I'm 6'5, 245 and I still got a rough time at getting the 11th-13th round into them. I say, "unusually difficult" to load past 10th rd. Are yours the same?

Holsters -- where? This is pretty f'd up if you ask me. What does FN recommend for Holsters - FN, if you're reading, please reply.

In general, I can fire this gun with acceptable accuracy. My aim is worse than the errors in the sights (if any) so I've yet to prove any issue with it's accuracy.

Well done FN -- Get back to me on the decocker issue, if you're reading. Just get the magazines tuned a bit so they can be loaded 100% all the time, and figure out your holster issue -- get the molds to the holster makers, if you haven't already. It's time to carry.

Thanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I can't comment on other types of firearms, since my FNP9 is the first DA/SA pistol I've owned. Having said that:

When my hammer is in the "half cocked" position, my decocker will not decock it any further. This seems normal/right to me.

If your put a round in the chamber then decock, it goes to the "half cocked" position so the hammer isn't resting on the firing pin. That makes sense to me. I don't think your gun is defective, that just the design.

Check crossbreed and safariland for holsters now, check blade tech in a couple of weeks.

New mag springs are normally hard to compress. They will get easier over time. If you want to speed up the process, load all your mags up to full capacity and let them sit for a week or two.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The decocker brings the hammer to the half-cocked position. Don't expect it to bring it to the uncocked position, it won't.

Yeah, those mag springs are really tough at first, they get easier with use.

Holsters are always a problem for a new type of gun. There are a few who make them, and more will come with time. Knowing this, and knowing I would be purchasing the FNP45, I took up leather working last year. For an investment of $150 in leather and supplies, I've made holsters for a variety of guns, belts, mag pouches and a pouch for my leatherman. I only made one for my 45 so far, but more to come (when I can find some time :roll: ) It's not that hard, and has paid for itself a couple times over and I still have leather enough for several more holsters. definately something for a handy/frugal person to look into. :?

·
Registered
873 Posts
ironwood, your pistol is operating correctly.

All hammer fired autoloaders with a decocker work this way.

Both my FNP-40 and 45 and my CZ 75B PCR work this way.

I'm 5'8" 170lbs and have only minor trouble loading 14 rounds into my FNP-45 mags. They will get easier after a few hundred rounds however.

I think bladetech has holsters now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
An Easier Way to Load New Mags

Here's a tip for loading all 14 rounds in the FN mags. Instead of trying to hold the magazine in one hand and insert the cartridge back and down at the same time with the other (as illustrated in the manual) try this. Use the index finger of the had grasping the magazine to push down the magazine follower to open some free space. Use the fingers grasping the cartridge to insert the cartridge back and under the magazine lips. Then get your index finger out and slide the cartridge back all the way. Of course, this supposes your fingers are slim like mine.

Take heart, they WILL loosen up. A light shot of silicone on the inside of the magazine helped for me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Get an UpLula Maglula loader. It case you haven't heard. It works like a charm first time every time! After a few reloadings it the spring will loosen up enough so you can then reload all 14-15 rounds without it. Don't know why you would though. It's still faster than just using your hands.

I can't believe this thing works so well on ANY magazine I have or those whom I've loaned it out to at the range...which is getting to be TOO much lately....HEY, YOU...!!! BUY your own!!! They're less than $25.

·
Registered
873 Posts
+1 on the Uplula Maglula.

Best piece of accessory kit ever.

·
Registered
490 Posts
BlitzPig said:
ironwood, your pistol is operating correctly.

All hammer fired autoloaders with a decocker work this way.

Both my FNP-40 and 45 and my CZ 75B PCR work this way.

I'm 5'8" 170lbs and have only minor trouble loading 14 rounds into my FNP-45 mags. They will get easier after a few hundred rounds however.

I think bladetech has holsters now.
+1 yes they do checkout their website bladetech.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts