FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and FN so please forgive me if this is over asked or anything.

Just looking around online for some good ol' 45's and i found the FNP 45 online and was impressed. Good things were said about it and when i found what I thought was a good price for it (580 NIB w/ 3 mags and shooters pack) I bought it from James Wayne Firearms off Gunsinterntional. It is said to arrive in a week and I was just wondering if there are any things to worry about with the pistol that i may have missed when researching prior to purchase. It is a deckocker only and I believe it to be an early manufacture.
If anyone can help with the pistol info or has any experience with the store, feel free to help me out.

Regards, The Dolphin
(will post pics if desired)

·
Banned
665 Posts
FNP45s wont feed full length ammo. Some guns (mine included) have a issue where the trigger to trigger bar pin will walk out when you fire it. The barrel finish comes partially worn off from the factory. If you want to add a safety you can for about $65. If it is that old, are you sure it is NIB? I'm not saying it isnt, i'm just surprised a store had one on the shelf for so many years with out it getting sold.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FNP45s wont feed full length ammo. Some guns (mine included) have a issue where the trigger to trigger bar pin will walk out when you fire it. The barrel finish comes partially worn off from the factory. If you want to add a safety you can for about $65. If it is that old, are you sure it is NIB? I'm not saying it isnt, i'm just surprised a store had one on the shelf for so many years with out it getting sold.
They have a bunch of them apparently, i talked to the salesman when purchasing. For the trigger pin issue, will FN do service on it?
To get the manual safety, how would you do that?

Thanks

·
Banned
665 Posts
Yeah they'll fix the trigger pin issue, but you might have to pay for shipping to FN and wait 6 - 8 weeks. Personally if yours has the issue, I'd just spend the $22 for a new trigger assembly and fix it yourself, unless you dont mind the wait. If FN makes you pay for shipping (UPS/Fedex require overnight for guns) it might be just as expensive to ship it as it would be to fix it yourself. If you have to do this, order the tactical assembly, it will lighten the trigger by 0.5lbs
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/fn-fnp45-pistol-parts/F515661810

If you want a safety, order a fire control group which has a safety from Midwest Gun Works or FN's parts department. Disassembly instructions for the 9/40 are sticked to the top of the forum, the 45s are essentially the same. See my posts half way down this thread on how to remove the decocking lever without breaking it:
http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnp/22792-modifying-fnp-45-a.html
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/fn-fnp45-pistol-parts/F515473460

If you end up replacing your FCG, and are just going to throw away the old one, would you mind mailing it to me instead? I've been wanting to try to figure out how to do a trigger job on a FNP45, but I dont want to do it to mine yet just in case I screw up. I'm unemployed and can't spare the extra money for a FCG to practice on.

And if you want to drop $400 more, you can buy a tactical slide/barrel assembly if you like optics.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What do you mean by they won't feed full length ammo? I have the same model (decocker only) fnp45 (it's probably 3 years old) and it shoots any and everything I feed it. What I mean to ask really is "What exactly is full length ammo?," because I am unfamiliar with the term.

Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
What do you mean by they won't feed full length ammo? I have the same model (decocker only) fnp45 (it's probably 3 years old) and it shoots any and everything I feed it. What I mean to ask really is "What exactly is full length ammo?," because I am unfamiliar with the term.

Thanks!
He's exaggerating. The only ammo i found that it has problems with is the cheap wal mart winchester whit box crap. They're loaded just a hair too long for the mags. Ive shot about 7-8 different types of ammo and everything else was fine. I like the 200 round packs of Remington UMC for $90 at Gander Mountain.

·
Banned
153 Posts
I'm not exaggerating, I reload ammo and found out the hard way it wont feed ammo with a COAL of 1.275". If you have a pair of calipers, measure the ammo you've been feeding it.
I had NO IDEA!!!

Thanks!

I wonder if the newer production or 2nd - 3rd generation models had the mouth of the barrel opened up some?

and what are your thoughts on polishing the feed ramp down a little.. so the angel is not so extreme? worst case would be?

Thank You for being the guy with the numbers! YOU ROCK!!

·
Banned
665 Posts
I'm not sure, but the magazine is the problem, not the barrel. The FNX45s fix this problem with larger magazines. Their chambers are also fully supported with a presumably steeper angle than the FNPs.

Polishing the chamber? The worst case would be a kaboom. The cartridge all ready isnt fully supported, and if you remove more material, it will be even less so. If you do it by hand you should be good, if you're using a VSR drill, be careful, and personally I would avoid a dremel. I wouldnt try to change the angel since that would cause the case head to be less supported. Also the Tactical barrels came polished from the factory. I found that Formax Emery Cake was effective when I stripped the finish and polished the controls on my FNP45T. I also managed to do so by hand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Enjoy the FNP45 DO with Confidence

Enjoy your handgun. I have an early 2007 and have no problems with WWB ammo, finish wear, trigger pins walking out, etc. I did have some early trouble with the slide not locking back due to a poorly formed plastic magazine follower that couldn't hit the slide lock hook. FN sent me two free replacements in the mail.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes indeed, enjoy your FNP-45

I just got one in Dec 2012 with a firing date of 11/01/2011 so it was a year old when purchased but it was NIB. I've now put about 300 rounds through it with no problems. From reading this forum I would avoid the Winchester White Box ammo. I haven't even seen it around. I've been using Federal AE 230gr FMJ and some steel cased Blazers without a single issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You were right about the barrel finish but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. It was very dirty though and I just wanted to clean it but here in the People's Republic on Illinois it's going to be Monday when I can.

·
Banned
665 Posts
I know what its like, im stuck in Chicago. What was worse was after the waiting period I went to pick mine up, but the offices for the state police had closed and the store told me I had to come back another day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts