FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some opinions on what's going on with my pistol. I have a feeling that its the ammo being used, but I'd like to know what you all think...

As far as the gun goes, its still pretty new (550 rds though it to date) and has always been cleaned well. The ammo ive used is WWB FMJ, Blazer Aluminum, Blazer Brass, Remington UMC, and Federal Hydrashok 185 grain +P.

The gun has run flawlessly with every ammo except blazer brass. The first few FTF's I had were a few months back when I had bought 50 rounds of UMC and 50 rounds of BB to plink around with after a hunt. I ran through the UMC first, and then the problems began. I had about 3 FTF's. Occasionally, a round would fire, but the slide would not cycle all the way back home with the bullet getting stuck on the ramp into the chamber. The slide was between .25 and .5 of an inch away from being shut. This happened in more than one magazine I believe. I didn't think much of it at the time as at this point only ~350 rds had been through it.

This past weekend I went back out to my land with the intention of putting another 300 rounds through it. I stopped at the walmart nearest the land and they had run out of WWB, so I was forced to purchase the next least expensive ammo, Blazer Brass... I was wary of this purchase, but I picked up 250 thinking what the hell. The gun started out fine and the round was pretty accurate. But after about 100rds the problem began again. And again. And again. I'm guessing at least 8 times in total. I oiled up the areas where the round was getting stuck a little bit, but it continued to happen every once in a while. If I smacked the bottom of the magazine with the palm of my left hand while it was jammed up, the slide would push the round the rest of the way home on its own.

What do you think the deal is? Is it that the gun is still being broken in? Or can it be that its in its break in period as well as the fact that the blazer brass rounds could be underpowered/malformed occasionally. What else could it be? I've given the gun a through cleaning and lube w/ some "military tested" oil i picked up a while back (cant remember the name, but it was $7 for a little bottle). The mags are clean too, but not lubed as instructed by the manual. I intend to put another few hundred (not Blazer Brass) through it when I get a chance to see if that changes anything, but that wont be for another couple weeks at least. Gimme some help! I love the thing and I intend to use it as my go to gun if S were to HTF around the house etc, but these few jams are not acceptable. But the gun's accuracy, 15 round capacity, and ease of control under rapid fire def are :cool:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am no expert but I would say it may still be in break in or recoil spring has weaken...I have only put about 100 rounds thru my fn 45 with Blazer brass with no malfunctions as a side not I fed my kimber nothing but blazer brass and around 5 to 6 hundred had to replace my recoil spring as it started doing the same as yours.... not much but I hope it helps :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
The first thing I would do if I had that happen to me would be to polish the feed ramp. Check it for machining marks etc. Having a mirror finish on the ramp solves many feed problems.

jmho

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would have to say its just the ammo. I tried wolf in my FNP-40 first time out and it wasnt cycling the slide far enough, and pushing the the round in from the extractor channel (no idea what the proper name is for the little groove where the extractor grabs on to it) and jamming about a 1/4" from closing. put good ammo through it and not a problem since. its probably just the ammo either being under powered, inconstant or maybe the powder burns too fast for such a strong recoil spring and doesnt put enough pressure on the slide for a long enough period of time. the last solution is what i figured was the cause with the wolf I was using because after using it in a different pistol, it worked fine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rizzo5586 said:
I would have to say its just the ammo. I tried wolf in my FNP-40 first time out and it wasnt cycling the slide far enough, and pushing the the round in from the extractor channel (no idea what the proper name is for the little groove where the extractor grabs on to it) and jamming about a 1/4" from closing. put good ammo through it and not a problem since. its probably just the ammo either being under powered, inconstant or maybe the powder burns too fast for such a strong recoil spring and doesnt put enough pressure on the slide for a long enough period of time. the last solution is what i figured was the cause with the wolf I was using because after using it in a different pistol, it worked fine.
i certainly hope that's whats going on. have yet to try wolf out of mine, but the price is right

1 - 5 of 5 Posts