FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was out on the range with my dad same ol sunday. I was using tul ammo like I always do when all of the sudden my mags started jamming up. I still have the 14rnd fnp mags so I figured they finally craped out so I swaped to using my 15rnd mags same issue. After 2-3 shots some of the ammo was getting stuck in the mag and not going up to load. I took the mags apart and cleaned them and it was still happening. Is this a classic out of spec ammo issue? I've never had issues with tul ammo before even after 1000+ rnds of it. To fix these jams I had to drop the mag clear my chamber because one was stuck half way in then reinsert the mag and give it a hard tap. Either way its very disheartening. I'm hoping I just got a bad lot of ammo because thumb cycling rounds of rem umc off the top I couldn't recreate the malfunctioning.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Sounds like it's too long.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I picked up two boxes of Tula 230 gr some time back because it was all that my local Walmart had come in for months. I bought two of the four boxes leaving the others for someone else and because I had never used it before and wasn't about to get my three limit without knowing the ammo. Guess what, no issues whatsoever with my FNP-45 and it was even surprisingly accurate. I still have the other box and will shoot it one of these days. I will say that it is not ammo that I would normally use as from what I've read about Tula is that sometimes it is underpowered. I would also suspect that its quality is not what one would expect for quality brass ammo either.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I had one FNP-45T that I had cycling issues as did a few of my friends.

We replaced the extractor spring with an aftermarket spring and gently sanded out
the chamber that the spring fits in. There was a rough edge that that was inside the chamber.
Even manually the spring would get caught on this edge when we tried to manipulate the spring
with our hand.

To this day I have not had any more problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have shot Tulammo through my FNP45 a couple times just because it was all that was available. Have never had a FTF or FTE through any 45 except a Rock Island 1911 I couldn't get rid of fast enough. Matter of fact when I got my SA 1911 the only ammo available was JHP and that was what I broke it in with (and yes I know better). It being the cheapest ammo you can get, as another mentioned it may have been out of spec???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yesterday I was out on the range with my dad same ol sunday. I was using tul ammo like I always do when all of the sudden my mags started jamming up. I still have the 14rnd fnp mags so I figured they finally craped out so I swaped to using my 15rnd mags same issue. After 2-3 shots some of the ammo was getting stuck in the mag and not going up to load. I took the mags apart and cleaned them and it was still happening. Is this a classic out of spec ammo issue? I've never had issues with tul ammo before even after 1000+ rnds of it. To fix these jams I had to drop the mag clear my chamber because one was stuck half way in then reinsert the mag and give it a hard tap. Either way its very disheartening. I'm hoping I just got a bad lot of ammo because thumb cycling rounds of rem umc off the top I couldn't recreate the malfunctioning.
Is this the problem where two rounds are stuck side-by-side as the mag starts to taper down? I have the same problem if it is. Two rounds get stuck side-by-side, one round sits on top of those two loosely and not high enough in the feed lips to get picked up by the slide. The slide goes into battery without a round. I started numbering my magazines to see if it was a certain one. All 5 do it. I thought it was a Magtech problem but then it does it with Win white box and some other brand too. Sometimes I have a problem with a round hanging up going in the chamber. It stops about half-way in. That's not as common as the jam in the magazine. I pretty much joined the forum to find out why this is happening and how to fix it.
I can't wait to find a solution for it.

Thanks,

Bob T.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FNP Ftf issues

Is this the problem where two rounds are stuck side-by-side as the mag starts to taper down? I have the same problem if it is. Two rounds get stuck side-by-side, one round sits on top of those two loosely and not high enough in the feed lips to get picked up by the slide. The slide goes into battery without a round. I started numbering my magazines to see if it was a certain one. All 5 do it. I thought it was a Magtech problem but then it does it with Win white box and some other brand too. Sometimes I have a problem with a round hanging up going in the chamber. It stops about half-way in. That's not as common as the jam in the magazine. I pretty much joined the forum to find out why this is happening and how to fix it.
I can't wait to find a solution for it.

Thanks,

Bob T.
Had this same problem with Winchester WB ammo, got out my calipers and started measuring the rounds, lengths were everywhere, some long, some short, put the long ones into my bullet seating die and made them all the correct length and then everything worked fine. Quality control of cheap ammo is quite bad. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There has been other talk on this forum about Winchester WB. I have 300 rounds of it sitting in the locker. I have never put it through my FNP-45 yet but will go through those boxes. If I get a hiccup with any of the 300 I won't get overly concerned because of the other posts I've read here. I will get around to shooting it one of these days. I've just been using up everything else without an issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts