FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Very disappointing.

Loaded one 15-round mag with this ammo and had 4 FTFs. The HP gets caught on the ramp. Decided not to waste any more ammo on it and went back to 185g+P GS.

Anyone else shot this round yet? Results?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I know not the same ammo... But I put 14 rounds of Gold-Dot 230gr. HP (testing the round) down the tube today on a new gun with no problems.

EDIT... I see that you are asking about that round, for some reason I was thinking this was the 1st time of you using any type of 230gr HPs and having problems, sorry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MrSteve said:
I know not the same ammo... But I put 14 rounds of Gold-Dot 230gr. HP (testing the round) down the tube today on a new gun with no problems.

EDIT... I see that you are asking about that round, for some reason I was thinking this was the 1st time of you using any type of 230gr HPs and having problems, sorry.
Gold Dots, Hydra-Shoks and Golden Sabers feed fine for me, but really wanted to keep the gun loaded with HSTs. Not gonna happen.

·
Registered
107 Posts
XMM said:
MrSteve said:

Gold Dots, Hydra-Shoks and Golden Sabers feed fine for me, but really wanted to keep the gun loaded with HSTs. Not gonna happen.
Don't blame you, if you can't trust a round to fire, then it shouldn't be anywhere near the gun.

I haven't see the round you are talking about in person, but finding a pic on the net, it dose have a "really" big opening (I mean huge!)... It seems the Winchester Ranger T would be the best feeding of must other rounds (smaller tip opening, but great expansion) and to me looking at Ranger pics of expansion that round has to do some really bad "cutting", just the edges are so sharp looking... I guess my point is, have you thought about the Winchester 45+P 230gr Ranger (#RA45TP)? About $30 for 50.

G

·
I have found thru extensive testing that the Federal HST 230jhp+P and the Hornady 230jhp+p will result in numerous FTF's with the same problem of nosing into the mag. I do not carry these rounds as a result. Every other non +P 230jhps feed 100% (Federal HST;Speer Gold Dot;Win
SXT; Rem Golden Saber). FNH was contacted immediately when I first discovered this back in October, and they have tested my pistol and Eng'g confirmed the problem with the 230jhp+P ammo. They plan to do an engineering analysis in the future to find a solution. I have been very pleased with the personell at FNH that I have been in contact with, and post this reply as a safety concern that I do not want to see other FNP45 users struggle with.
I carry mine daily stoked with 230Gold Dots with total confidence!

·
Registered
42 Posts
my be off thread a bit, but I was shooting my FNP 45 for the first time this weekend. must say I love it.

I stayed away from the Wal-Mart specials Win White box (WWB) due to the previous posts on the FTF issues and ran a box of Magnitex (i think that was it) 230gr FMJ, no FTF issues also mixed in 5 rd of the WWB that i have laying around spare from my CCW course, no problems there either.

I did however run into every round FTF when I went to the reloads that were sierra 230gr flat nose I will have to look for the exact description when I get home as the load data blew away in the wind.

I am wondering if the FTF problems are going to ease after full break in. I want a good HP but if i can't rely on them to chamber i have to go into hammer mode with my 45 which is not a place i want to go.

i will be curious to read the posts.

·
Banned
93 Posts
Speer Gold Dots for the win. :?

However, I have mine currently loaded with Federal 230gr. Hydra-shoks (not HST) and they work just fine too.

Never had a problem with Blazer Brass for practice either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EX_CATM said:
I am wondering if the FTF problems are going to ease after full break in. I want a good HP but if i can't rely on them to chamber i have to go into hammer mode with my 45 which is not a place i want to go.

i will be curious to read the posts.
I wouldn't worry too much here. It's normal for a certain gun to have a certain ammo brand or shape that doesn't feed well. The HST is the only hollow-point ammo that my gun won't eat - the others are just fine. It's always best to shoot 50-100 rounds of a given brand through your gun before you declare it reliable. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Can't help on that one, but I did a little test with the bullets I have here, well not really a test, but in any case... I did notice that the Speer Gold-Dot case fits a lot loser in the chamber then the Fiocchi I have. I can drop the speer right in (I have no feeding problems with gold dots), but the Fiocchi wont fall in I have to push it, mind you not a lot of a push, but like I said they don't fall in.

So my point is, why not try this with bullets that you guys could have a problem feeding, see if they are a tight fit. I just wonder if I tried a Fiocchi HP if I would have a problem feeding that bullet compared to the FMJ that I am using from them now with no problem in feeding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts