FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed after a round failed to load that is was catching on the mag. I removed the mag and reloaded it and then unloaded it by hand. I saw that after 2-3 rounds that the next round would cock a bit sideways, the nose would drop slightly, and then the brass case would get caught on the mag and will not move till it is push back. It will continue to do this about every other round. I have not seen anyone with the issue I have with both of my 14 round mags. I have tried different ammo, so I know it's not the ammo. Has anyone seen this or dealt with it? Looking for any and all input you guys can give me!

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
The FNP 45's mags are a bit tight front to back (right at SAAMI spec length for 45 ACP), that might be the issue. Or the front of the follower isn't getting enough spring pressure in the front (I'm saying this because you're saying the nose of the cartridge drops slightly)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
20140319_213202.jpg 20140319_213226.jpg

It's a little hard to tell in the pictures, but this is what it does. I called FN and they told me to take the mags to a gunsmith and see if they can fix them.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
It's happening down in the mag and not the top round though, right?

·
Registered
470 Posts
If your mags are from the 2008-2010 time frame I would send them back to FN and ask for replacements. If they won't do this, then procure all new internals, mag follower, catch plate and spring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a problem with a Ruger magazine. They sent me a new one that arrived in two days. FN is right up there with H&K on the customer service scale. I love FN firearms, but if something goes wrong, good luck. You are on your own.

I really wish FN cared a little more about their customers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had similar issues, can't tell if it's the same. I changed out my mag springs and that took care of the problems. I always thought the mag springs were on the weak side. I do leave my mags loaded as the gun resides on my nightstand. They lasted about 3 years before I started to have feed issues and had to swap them out. Now I just keep extra springs on hand. They are about $5 each. You might spend $5 and give one a try.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was lucky enough to have had Bob Ailes to help when I had problems. My problem was mag retention. They might just fall out after one round was fired. My mags have never had the feed problems described by others.

I sent the whole shebang back on FN's dime, and got it back in about 12 days. Direct to my door. Problem fixed.

Later, he also sent me a new extractor with a slightly larger LCI (red indicator) without requiring me to send the pistol or slide in. A useable LCI made my wife feel better especially since it lives next to the bed.

Pushing Bob Ailes out was incredibly stupid of FNH to do. We miss ye, Bob.

Reactions: djv38

·
Registered
54 Posts
sent mags to FN 3 months ago for follower problems, didn't think it would be the nightmare it is. God knows when I'll see my "replacement" mags. Last dime I spend on a FN product. Their CS blows. I so want a mkII fiveseven, but I refuse to spend a G on a company that cares so little about CS. Problem is I love my 45, ..fits my hands nicely. :arrow:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts