FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody has been able to handle/shoot both the FNP 45 and the new HK 45? Thoughts on them, good or bad (I know this is a FNP site but any feedback is helpful)? I was at my local gun store and they had both, so I handled them. Even with the flat back strap, the FNP felt bigger and not as comfortable in my hand compared to the HK. The FNP had 14 rounds vs. 10 for the HK, which had a big reason to do with it. I had some trouble with the slide stop on the FNP, maybe because I am use to my 1911, but I had to really work at it or use two hands, will it get better with some break in? Anybody else have any issues with theirs? There is a big gun show here in VA this weekend, which I thought I had made up my mind on the FNP 45, but now I'm not sure. I know that the FNP is a better deal, but now I having second thoughts. Until a few months ago, I was all set on getting a new 1911, which is what I shoot most of the time, then I read about the FNP line and I have never owned a polymer gun, but was willing to try it. I don't like the way Glocks feel, and the Sig P250 isn't out in 45 yet. This next gun will be a range & home protection gun. I don't want to start a flaming war against any manufacturers, but any thoughts/suggestions would be great. BTW - I can any get one of them, so I have to really think this out.

Thanks,
1911Shooter

·
Registered
47 Posts
Haven't seen the FNP 45, but I can say the new HK45 is excellent. I used to think that the USP 45's couldn't be beat (with the FNP 40 next in line), but HK made the 45 better.

T

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I was REALLY wanting the HK45 a few months ago - actually before it came out. But damn, with tax, it's close to $1k. I can't see spending that much on a 45 unless it is a 1911. The FNP45 price is much more reasonable.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If it were me:

The 1911 is ruled out cause I already have one.

So, its between the HK and the FN. I make a list of features that are important to me and mark accordingly:

Mag capacity- FNP with 15rnds.
Ergonomics- HK by a SMALL margin
Sights- To be determined
Price- FNP
Recoil- To be determined, but I'll bet HK wins with thier patented recoil reduction
History-HK it's been out longer
Customer service- FN
Looks-FNP
Size-FNP because its slightly bigger. my next .45 will be strictly offensive
Accuracy- TBD but I'd bet the FN wins

FNP for me. Mainly because price has a lot of importance. If they were the same price, that would be tuff.....I might go HK.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was REALLY wanting the HK45 a few months ago - actually before it came out. But damn, with tax, it's close to $1k. I can't see spending that much on a 45 unless it is a 1911. The FNP45 price is much more reasonable.
It's worth every penny.

I wasn't too inclined to buy since I already had the USP. Saw one, asked to look at it. Wow. A friend ended up buying it. Tried it at the range. Amazing.

They really made a lot of improvements, including a significant decrease in bore height.

T

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Well, I have a USPc that I really like - in 9mm.

But after buying the FN Five Seven, and prev having a $1200 1911 a few years ago - I've decided not to spend more than $600 on handguns anymore. I MIGHT get a HK P30 1 day - but I just don't feel like spenidng almost $1k on a handgun again.

I like my Five Seven, but I don't think it is worth the $779 + the FFL fee (now, I absolutely LOVE my PS90). However, I plan to keep the Five Seven as it may become rare if the democrats take over.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I chose the FNP because I am not really 1911 fan (never have and never will!) Now I have not held the new H&K but I have never really liked the feel of the H&K's from the USP's to the P9S .45 which was my first hand gun. I do believe that comfort in your hand is one of the most important factors in chooseing a weapon!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently faced this exact dilemma. I really like the FNP .45, and was just about to buy one when someone suggested the H & K. I tried it out and was sold, bought it on the spot. My decision between the two was based mostly on the feel of the gun, as I have a very large grip, and the H & K won out with its longer grip and elongated trigger guard. The FNP was close, the mag capacity was preferable (especially because it comes with 3 of them), and the price was better. But I picked the H & K and am happy with it. Sorry FN.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I went to a gun show this weekend, on the last day of the show with cash, hoping to find a good deal. I walked around and checked out several FNP .45's & H&K45's. I ended up getting the FNP .45, mainly because it felt good in my hand, it seems very well made (not that the H&K 45 isn't), its different, comes with 3 mags, I liked the two-tone look, and I got a good deal. I paid $549 for the NIB gun and with tax + fees, the total out the door was $580 cash. The lowest I saw a H&K .45 was $959 and that was with only 2 10-round mags. I like the two-tone of the one I bought, H&K 45 doesn't have a two-tone. Now the H&K felt pretty good in my hand also and I liked the slide release better, but after getting the FNP home and examining it closer, I am really happy with what I picked. I haven't heard / read anything really negative about the FNP .45 and the FNP line has been out longer. FN customer service also seems to be better, at least on the consumer side. I will post a pic and give a range report when I get a chance to shoot it. Thanks for all the replies.

1911Shooter

·
Registered
15 Posts
I chose a FNP over H&K because of price and looks... And I don't believe I could be happier now that I've had it for a few months! In regards to the FNP slide stop. The magazines seem to have very strong follower springs when new, so in turn the slide release is difficult to manipulate with an empty magazine. Upon putting a full magazine or removing the empty mag, the slide releases just as easy as any other handgun. Also with time my FNP45 has gotten better with the empty mag but I would imagine the follower springs are breaking in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bleaman, your right on with the loaded magazine. At the range and with loaded mags, I didn't have any issues manipulating the slide stop. I also agree that the gun needs to be broken in some more.

Thanks,
1911Shooter

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a FNP-45, FN USP 45T, and a new FN45. I have large hands, the first thing I noticed about the FN45 was that the bottom of the trigger guard as well as the extended mag release got the bottom of my finger when I pulled the trigger and it hurt. Please understand I know how to place my finger on the trigger but as I said I have LARGE fingers. I dremmiled the bottom of the guard area and took off the tips of the nag release and now I love this pistol. I thought the USP 45 T was perfect but HK did this one better. I really like my FNP-45 with the exception of the slide release. I am left handed and that was one of the big draws to the pistol. This pistols slide release reminds me of a glock and someone could get rich if they would come out with an after market slide release like the glock that allows you to push DOWN on not IN to drop the slide. I agree that with a full mag the it is quite a bit easier for the righty but not so much for the lefty. the spring and leverage is on the left side so it makes it easier for the right handed person. but even with a full mag when I drop the slide with my left thumb it requires a LOT of pressure and it hurts. Like I said someone give us a spring for the right side and a built up release that allows DOWNWARD pressure and the FNP 45 will be a winner. lots of diffence in price and yes the FNP is a much rougher pistol but I like them both. With my mods the USP45 is slick as greese but the FNP could be a perfect ulitartianan 15 shot defence weapon with a few mods.

I know that "the style of the day" is to rack the slide closed and that if your off hand is injured you are suposed to rack on on your jeans pocket or your front teeth or something else but I don't want to be forced to rack on my jeans because of a poorly designed pistol that does not have full ambi controls.

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi second post so go easy on me please. :D

Can anyone comment on the triggers between the FNP-45 and the HK45 in terms of characteristics. Much thanks.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I was at a gun show today. I bought an XD45. I actually had ZERO interest in XDs - as I rented a 9mm one 2 years ago and didn't care for it. HOwever, I rented an M&P 45, USP45 fullsize and XD45 a few months ago. I was amazed at the way the XD45 shot.

I got the only OD frame w/ stainless slide model at the whole show. I had to put it on a credit card, and their card machine was broken. Anyway, they had to go back to their store to get their spare machine (several people wanted to pay this way), and I ended up having to kill 2 hours while they did this. In that time, I really looked at several guns around the show.

I have small hands - to me, the FNP45 is too fat for me. As is the fullsize USP. I also looked at the HK P30 and fullsize HK45. While I love the HK mag release, and it is the same type that is on the Walther P99. On the fullsize HK45 and P30, its shaped weird. When you have the guns in SA - it is very easy for your trigger finger to rub the mag releases. They stick up higher than the edge of the trigger guard.

The COMPACT HK45 does not suffer from this. In all honesty, however, I love the feel of the USPc 45. Now, I have a 9mm USPc, and I typically don't care to get duplicate weapons, because I always end up favoring 1 over the other. But, it would be a different caliber. I have put a ton of rounds thru my USPc 9, but have never shot that gun in 45 before - so not sure if I would like it. But, if I get another 45, I think it might be the USPc.

Anyway - other than that USPc, I prefered the XD45 over any of the other polymer 45s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts