FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new FNP-45 and have about 300 rounds through it. This gun is very nice and performs nearly flawlessly. On a few occasions, however, when I slapped the clip in, the slide closed automatically without me releasing it or pulling it back. This has happened about 3 times out of about 20 times. Any thoughts on this?

Other than this, the pistol is fantastic. :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lots of pistols do this. It doesn't seem to happen with every one, but it is very common especially after breaking them in.

My 1911 has always done this. I just now tried really slapping a mag in my FNP 45 Tacitcal with a snap cap and sure enough the slide released chambering the snap cap. I've only put about 300 rds through it and I hadn't tried that yet. It is actually pretty sweet if you can do it on purpose reliably because it makes for really fast reloads.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
My old 45 did this occasionally depending on how hard I slapped the mag in. It seems to be more common with the 45's than the 9's and 40's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This topic comes up occasionally. I've also replied, despite many in disagreement with me, that the slide closing upon sharply inserting a loaded mag is indeed a "feature". As it has been pointed out many times before, that the slide hold on the FNP-45 is not a slide-release. A slide release is something more along the lines of what you would encounter on something like a 1911 where the mechanism has enough purchase on it to positively manipulate it. This can be seen on other European pistols such as the Glock.

Yesterday I finally got around to watching my Magpul "art of the pistol...." DVD, and they basically repeated the above without the relationship to European design. In fact, they were pointing out that it would occur on the S&W M&P 45 cal pistols, but not on the M&P 9mm pistols. They considered it a good thing, as it decreased motions to get the gun back into battery. I have to concur with their opinion. It is a GOOD thing IMO, and I have yet to not fully chamber a fresh round off the stack using this method. I just got a 9mm Glock and it is happily doing the same thing.

Think about it...... If the FNP-45 was not supposed to do this, wouldn't it have a slide release like a 1911, BHP, or HK45? That little metal tab is there just to hold it open.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I concur that the slide stop on the FN is too little to be used for deliberate release of the slide and it has to be a very deliberate use to hold the slide back. It's my guess that FN wants the user to pull the slide to the rear to release it on a freshly loaded weapon unlike the Colt which has a usable slide stop. If yours works by slamming in a fresh magazine - good oh!

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Sgt45 said:
It's my guess that FN wants the user to pull the slide to the rear to release it on a freshly loaded weapon
That's exactly how they tell you to load it. In the manual (some of them anyway) it is referred to as a slide stop and if you call them, that's what they'll tell you it is and to load a new mag, pull back on the slide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slide stop versus slide release

Thank you all for the great info. I actually had not fired a pistol for a long time (15 to 20 years) and just recently got back into it. It was my first time out at the range with the FNP-45 and I guess I was just surprised when the slide closed when a fully loaded clip was slapped into it. I could see how that would be a tactical advantage in some instances. It only happened when the clip was fully loaded (either 14 or 15 rounds) and slapped hard into the pistol.

Thanks for explaining the difference between a slide stop and a slide release. I agree, it's a bit hard to use the stop as a release but a friend of mine who shot the pistol was able to do that with his thumb. Might take me a bit of getting used to.

I'm really impressed with the FNP-45, and it's definitely a keeper! :D :shock:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just fired the first 100 rds though my new FNP-45. The only disconcerting thing I've seen was that when the slide stop was manually activated, I couldn't release the slide using the stop. HAD to pull and release the slide itself. When the slide was locked open via an empty clip, no problem. Thumb the release and fire.

BTW, I'm very well impressed with this weapon. It will replace a venerable S&W 1006 that I've carried since 1988.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences!

·
Registered
43 Posts
gotta pull back on it, that's the way it works. i would not be "slapping or slamming the 'clip'" on an locked open handgun to begin with. you run the risk of bending mag feed lips, extrators, all kinds of bad stuff. mine takes just a gentle push and it is locked in on a closed slide, and just a lot lighter push, not even a push just an insert on an open chamber. asking for trouble in my book 'slamming home your clip'

·
Registered
215 Posts
i mean, if you think about it, it would only make sense, not like theres a magical hand pulling back on the slide preventing it from rubbing the corner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts