FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
dunno Wreck....I'm still on the fence about the FNP45.

I'd be a lot more comfortable with it. If the ergonomics of the frame were more in line with the FNP 40 and FNP 9. As I said in my review of the FNP9 M. The checkering on the front strap of the grip is pretty aggressive. Far more so, than it appears in the pictures. It appears the checkering on the FNP45 is even more cheese gratereque. I've read a few threads, written by guys who handled the FNP45 at the Shotshow and were not overwhelmingly in favor of the new frame's ergonomics and design.

I think the dimensions of the grip are fantastic, but I think FN needs to send it back to the drawing board as far as the texture and checkering are concerned.

I also think they need to redesign and clean up the accessory rail.

The .45 market is a whole different ball game, from the 9mm and .40 market and they are a much harder crowd to please. The FNP .45 is going to have to be PERFECT, or it will have hot sales for a few months, as the FNphiles grab them up, but peter out, as people out here in the pits realize that the H&K USP, Glock 21SF and XD45 just feel better in the hand.

The only good news here, is that I don't think the Spiderman grip on the new H&K .45 is going to be any more popular after the initial offering, than the FNP45's grip.

I hope that FN gets with the program, on redesigning the grip and rail early. I'm not the only one saying this about the FNP45 frame. I want the FNP45 to succeed, and be the best hi-cap .45 on the market, but I have grave fears about the new frame's design.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had a couple of guns with sharp checkering before - after the 1st range trip - it never bothered me again. I'd always be sore after the first trip. Then, I'd dry fire the gun at hoe several days a week for a week or two. And, it seems that holding the gun everyday toughens up your hand. By the 2nd and 3rd trip - those guns didn't bother me anymore.

I like the look of the FNP 9 and 40 over the modified change they have done to the FNP45 - But I know a lot of people are waiting on it to be released.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oh my hands are used to the sharp checkering.

I tryed some quick and dirty Gimps of what I'd rather see, as far as cleanig up the frame and found that most of the problems everybody complains about, (The "Is the rail melting off of that thing" questions.) are due to an optical illusion created by the funky rail design.

I think FN over designed the rail, hoping for some kind of future SOCOM contract. The rail has so many slots, I'm afraid somebodies going to mount a vertical foregrip on it, or Knight's panels.

That, or FN was thinking of using the front of the frame as a battering ram, but pistols make poor breaching tools (*Tongue in cheek*)

:shock:

Heres the FNP45 (Soon to be production "Droopy Frame")

Heres what I'd of much rather seen. A couple of examples of cleaner accessory rails.

Or better yet.

And yes. I know it makes the rail look like the Spiderman H&K, but there are only so many ways to design a holsterable rail.

Just my two cents on the matter and a little dreaming.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not a huge fan of the texture on the sides of the grip. I like the way the 9 and 40 version looks better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not sure, but the front-end droop on the Picatinny rail may be some sort of mil-spec thing. I read a discussion on another forum about the new S&W M&P 45, which apparently is just starting to hit a few dealers' shelves. The photo of it on GunBroker shows the same droopy front-end on the rail. Of course, there were a few shots about saggy boobs.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=70442190

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think several of the manufacturers have taken the rail craze way beyond usefulness, in the uber tactical .45's. I'm sorry, but I can't really see a need for a four slot rail, other than to make the thing a PITA to holster.

I think four slot rail designs compromise the durability of an otherwise practically indestructible poly frame. To many new edges to wear.

It'd mount a Surefire or a Streamlight just fine with one or two slots. I'm trying hard to figure out what the heck you'd mount on the thing that would require four slots? It's a classic case of over engineering and catering to the "I want to mount a grenade launcher on my pistol" bunch.

Maybe MagPul will do a booming business selling rail protectors to cover up most of these SOCOM railed abortions. But personally I'd be for cleaner lines.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents on the FNP 45. Does anyone besides the people at FN really know what the final product will look like? From what I heard everything out there right now is pretty much a prototype of some sort. Who knows, maybe FN will polish up the rail system after some of the reviews. I called a local stocking dealer to see what they had to say about it. So far, nothing seems to be set in stone, and we probably won't see it until fall.

·
Registered
268 Posts
There are a number of things I think ought to be changed on that pistol. The rails are a bit tacky, I don't think they look completely terrible, but they're pretty useless. I agree with the idea that one doesn't need 4 slots for a light, and it'll tear up holsters, or get worn down. Second, I don't like the angle of the mag well, I think it should be parallel with the slide, not angled back. I find such an angle uncomfortable to reload. It also looks nasty like the P345. Last thing I have an issue with is the tang, it should be angled down like the others in the series, my -M just kind of sits on top of my hand, and it's comfortable. To be honest, I really don't like rails on pistols all that much, although I thought the USPf series was pretty classy, if not somewhat inefficient (their so called universal rail was only universal the UTL). If they fix it up, or I find it comfortable enough as is, and the price is right, I may just buy one. I'd like a good .45, as my 1911 has issues.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, one can tell that the magwell bottom/bottom of magazine is angled like that to squeeze in an extra round or two without making the front strap so long.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yeah, I kinda thought the same myself. I'm sure if it weren't angled and had the same capacity, it would either be a really tall pistol, or have a really wide grip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been trying to dig up more info on this piece for a while now. I'm looking forward to it. I do believe it will be my new .45ACP. I got to handle one at the 2007 Police & Security Expo in Atlantic City NJ. I liked it. The controls were fine and the trigger was good in DA and heavenly in SA. What I loved was that despite the grip angle that looks funny, I did not get the "see the top of my Glock slide" when I point it. Now that could just be my small hands but I'm excited about it. They hand it out in a Flat Dark Earth color with the FN SCAR in .223 and .308, the P90, FS2000 and all the other FN goodies with the exception of the military stuff, (M249 etc).

I know Lawmen's Supply in NJ/DE/MY will carry it.

Also Michael Bane's Gun Blog did a write up on it. If I can find the link I'll post it.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
firedan said:
I called FNH today and recieved the following info:

The FNP-45 will be out by October 2007, released in stainless and blue first. Initial holsters while probably be made by Bladetech Safariland and Bianci. The Flat Dark Earth color will not be out until approximately a year later, so fall 2008 sometime.
Ok. Can U report this in the "FN News" section of the site - start a new thread?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts