FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will the fnp45 be as reliable as say the xd or glock. this gun will be used for self defense, home defense and i need to know it will go bang every time. I know the glock and xds are known for their reliablity but i want a hammer so this gun is my first choice.

has anyone had any ftf or fte with this pistol and are they uncommon for this gun. were the malfunctions, if present, because of ammunition or for reasons other than that

thanks
John

·
Registered
412 Posts
Mine runs perfect at every outing! :?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does it like all kinds of ammo. Im looking at georgia arms canned heat for the bulk range ammo and my defense ammunition will be federal 230g hst +p or double tap 230g gold dot.

thanks
John

·
Registered
412 Posts
lone wolf I don't have access to Georgia arms canned heat. they don'y sell it here.

Blazer, Remington, Winchester, Handloads which would be +p ran fine.
& Accurate.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Have only put 300 rounds thru my new FNP-45, mostly Rem UMC, Amer Eagle, Win Ranger T JHP, and Rem Golden Saber JHP with no problems so far. Still testing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, I've owned a few and was not pleased.

I rank XDs with Taurus, S&W M&Ps, & Hi Points - among some other semi auto handguns that are notorious for problems.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I just sold an XD45 - but it was 100% reliable and was accurate. But, I sold it because I need the money to save up for another 1911. I also prefer metal framed 45s over polymer ones (I love polymer 9mms, however).

I thought the XD45 I had was made very well.

·
Banned
24 Posts
I just bought an XD45 I heard you can't shoot SWC through them - I put a ton of them through it on my first range trip all 200 gr handloads of varying power and 7 varities of JHP and ball. So far so good! Next up is an FNP :D IMO the FNP is too new for decent reliability data - looks promising though.

·
Registered
873 Posts
My FNP-45 has been flawless with Gold Dots, Hydra Shocks, Golden Sabers, (all 230 grain) Hornady XTP and Hornady TAP in 230 and 200 +P, Mag Tech 230 JHP +P, Black Hills FMJ, S&B fmj, Winchester White Box FMJ, American Eagle fmj, and a couple of others I can't remember.

Reliability has been 100%

Outstanding accuracy.

This is my "go to" handgun now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats what i like to hear. i can get this gun for 465 so i think ill be buying it soon. as soon as i get this billing promblem with my gym fixed. They seem to think i owe them 600 dollars for 3 months membership

·
Registered
51 Posts
fnguy07 said:
Well, I've owned a few and was not pleased.

I rank XDs with Taurus, S&W M&Ps, & Hi Points - among some other semi auto handguns that are notorious for problems.
Just out of curiosity, what problems have you read about with regards to the XD?

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Glocks reliable? Ha. I keep seeing Glocks having problems when I go to the range, broken extractors, firing pin problems, feeding problems, failure to extract/eject, the trigger not resetting after firing was a good one. So far my FNP-40(700 rounds so far) hasn't had any problems and same goes for my HK USP 9(3600 rounds so far). I'm guessing your getting the FNP-45 due to its 15 round capacity which is pretty awesome! I've played with an FNP-45 and they are pretty nice. Which FNP45, color wise, do you want to get?

·
Banned
93 Posts
Almost 1000rnds through my FNP-45 and not one malfunction of any kind. I mainly shoot WWB 230gr. and find the pistol to be both accurate and soft shooting.

Keep in mind the Sprindfield XD is a direct copy of the HS2000 pistol both of which are made in Croatia. The XD would be a great pistol... if they lost the stupid and unecessary backstrap safety! :lol:

99% of the time a jam or failure in a Glock is due to it's owners firm (and incorrect) beleif that Glocks NEVER need cleaning. But just like any other pistol, they in fact do. :?

·
Registered
39 Posts
shot my buddies' XD. After the 3rd FTE I went back to my FNP45. no fte or ftf. shooting WWB.

flawless, accurate. very light recoil.

jkbduck

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the slide fail to go completely in battery during the first magazine fired...I bumped the slide closed and haven't had an issue since, over 800 rounds and counting.

I'm happy with mine so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
:oops: New to this forum, just purchased new fnp-45 last week. I have the xd-45 and custom 1911. I intended to buy the fnp-40 but ...after checking the ergonomics the 45 fits my hand and normal hold best. FN reliability is as good as any on the market and priced right imo. :roll:

·
Registered
95 Posts
HK 4 life wrote:
Quote;
" 99% of the time a jam or failure in a Glock is due to it's owners firm (and incorrect) beleif that Glocks NEVER need cleaning. But just like any other pistol, they in fact do.

I couldn't agree more, I shoot in two trap leagues a week and try to shoot handguns every Sat morning. I run into people EVERY time I go out that are having some issue with feeding or extraction. Since I am sort of a regular and senior member of our indoor range locally I get asked for advice. I always try to help out a new shooter and don't just butt in when I see people who are having trouble. It seems like they see me come on the range with my gear and notice my targets and some how I get asked a question or two.

These people hand me a pistol that is having problems and I just take a look inside the slide and perhaps down the barrel and it looks like stuff is growing in there. I see feed ramps with more copper on them to the point it looks like the ramp is copper plated. I see extractors with a ball of powder fuzz and lint and God knows what all else and frankly I'm waiting for mouse droppings. I always ask them how often they clean them. Normally what I get for an answer is something between, "Well, it's Stainless and my buddy told me to not worry about cleaning it cuz it won't rust anyway." to, "Well I wasn't sure how often I should clean it."

I am always very gentle with these folks and never tell them that they are victims of bad information. But I explain that the reason that they change the oil in a car engine is to protect the motor and so that gunk doesn't buld up and get circulated through the motor. They always agree with that. I tell the "Stainless won't rust crowd" that Stainless will corrode it just happens slowly. Then I ask them how much they paid for the gun. When they tell me I always tell them, "Well then you have quite an investment here and given that, I think you would want to protect it as best you can. I explain that even our range guns which fire thousands of rounds a month are cleaned weekly. I tell them that very few problems exist in a gun that is clean and lubricated properly but if it has no oil or is just dirty that it will surely become sluggish and cause all manner of failures. Feeding, Extraction as an example.

I ALWAYS clean after firing ANY firearm. It's part of the responsibility of the owner to change the oil in the car and it's part of the firearms owners responsibility to maintain thier weapon. If they don't they won't be able to count on it in the case of a emergency where it might be a situation that a malfunction could lead to a disaster. On the Trap field run into people all the time who are using gas operated auto's that are so dry that they are sluggish or the opposite they are so heavily laden with WD-$0 and thought clean by the owner that the gas ports are clogged and rendering the gun inoperative. I get all itchy when i see a shooter squirt WD down a barrel and once in the receiver of a shotgun thinking they are "cleaning it."

I learned from my Dad at a very young age that you should always protect your firearm from dirt and things that can cause rust and outright
dammage. I never cease to be amazed by people who think that a shot of Break Free or WD -40 is all you need. I also shoot bench rest hunter class matches and we normally swab out a barrel out at the end of every stage. Dirty barrels and actions in this game post groups that look like shot gun patterns.

Take Care Guys
Let's help those new shooters

1 - 20 of 21 Posts