FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been a member on the forums for a while but as you can tell I do my reading and researching then posting. Now on to my question.

I have a fnp tac .45 and I have a trig rmr. I have had this sight on and off the pistol more times then I care to admit. The problem I am having is with the raised suppressor sights the dot is right on the front sight tip. It just seems way to busy and I catch my self jumping back and forth from iron sight to the dot. I am wondering if I switch to standard iron sights the dot and the irons will be separated enough to focus on either one. Basically what I am asking is if I switch to lower sights and I keep the rmr on will the irons be low enough to only focus on the dot but also be tall enough to clear the rmr base and be able to use those if need be. because we all know the prob with the rmr's when being in the dark and point into light the dot is near impossible to see and I would like to then rely on the iron sights if that situation ever arises. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Have you tried focusing on your target rather than your dot?

I'm running an Aimpoint CO-W on an AR and the dot is "touching" the front sight post. If I focus on the dot I can't see very well (like you mentioned). If I focus on what I'm shooting at I see the dot bouncing around on my target and I don't pickup the sight post.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is tough to do because I have been trained and shooting for a long time and with irons you always want to focus on the front sight tip or post. I wouldn't want to change that now lol

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I don't have as much range time as most of the members around here so I'll be following this thread to see what input they have. Sorry if I was not much help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10000_45626.jpg 10000_45627.jpg

as the pictures says it's from lone wolf. But this is what I am hoping to achieve and I am hoping some one has done this before with the fnp. Don't be sorry I appreciate any information any one has. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok here is the scoop. I went out and bought FNP 45 Tritium Classic Night Sight Set from mgw on the whim they would work how I was hoping. I figured they were inexpensive for night sights and if they worked I keep them and if they didn't I could sell them. So here is the outcome you've all been waiting for. They work with a few simple modifications. I have yet to range test to make sure the rmr stays put but here's what I had to do. First when the sight and rmr are on the rmr is a tad bit to high for the irons. I had to drop it down. I did this by removing the mounting plate. Then the screws were too long so I shortened them a bit and I lock tightened them down and threw some torque there way. The cool part is with my osprey can I can still see slightly over them with the irons. Basicly the dots on the irons are clearly visible over the can. That's it gents I hope you like the Test I tried and succeeded at.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Have you tried focusing on your target rather than your dot?
is tough to do because I have been trained and shooting for a long time and with irons you always want to focus on the front sight tip or post. I wouldn't want to change that now lol
That's the way these mini red dots are meant to be used, just like on a rifle. The whole idea is to superimpose the dot on the target while you focus on the target, like using a laser. So, it doesn't matter what sights you put on the gun, the dot isn't going to do you much good if you focus on it rather than the target. For those of us used to focusing on the front sight it does take some practice but the red dots are great once you get the hang of them. You won't lose your ability to aim with irons, you're just building another skill set. Also, you can sight the red dot in and adjust it so the dot is hovering above the front sight, it doesn't have to be right on it.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Sounds like you have a dual illuminated model. Get a LED model if you are worried about washout. As for focus, have you tried to shoot with both eyes open? It lets you see the dot without being distracted by the iron sight picture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts