FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't bother trying to get a .45 in MD, they are not on the 'APPROVED' list. They wont be introduced for a hearing until April and can not be approved until at least June. I have one sitting at my dealer and cant get the paperwork done. Thanks, Maryland!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't bother trying to get a .45 in MD, they are not on the 'APPROVED' list. They wont be introduced for a hearing until April and can not be approved until at least June. I have one sitting at my dealer and cant get the paperwork done. Thanks, Maryland!!!
What does it take to be approved?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Moving away from the East Coast, by the sound of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
.45 approval in MD

According to my dealer who is doing the transfer, a sample gun has to be submitted for inspection to the State Police, after inspection they hold a hearing about said weapon and that is followed by a thirty day period in which people can file a petition on why the gun should or should not be 'approved'. I have been told that indeed a FNP .45 has been submitted, and that the earliest that the hearing can be held is sometime in April. Once again thank you to the California of the east and my home state MARYLAND. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, but those procedures make no sense. Isn't one .45 pistol with a 10 round magazine just as deadly as another .45 with 10 rounds? Just out of curiosity I would like to know what criteria they use to determine whether a weapon is approved or disapproved.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Damn. Maryland sucks. :evil:

What full size .45's have been approoved in the past? And how would they differ from the FNP?

Mag. capacity?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
States like that are the reason FN offers the 10 round mags as an option. I wonder if law enforcement is worried about the ability of a gun to accept a higher capacity magazine, even though they offer the 10 round option. I bet the Ruger P345 got passed pretty quick. It only accepts 10 round mags, and has all the 'safety' features you would ever want (mag disconnect, internal lock, manual safety, big safety message printed on the outside, etc.).

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ergo, a Ruger will never grace my safe.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The ability to take hi-caps is not the issue.

Maryland has this procedure as a result of a bill passed some years ago that was meant to ban saturday night specials and other 'dangerous' pistols. Despite the hysteria that accompanied the new law, very few pistols have been disapproved or banned.

Yet.

That is a matter of how easy the review boards are. That can always change now that the have the procedure in place.

What it does mean currently is that it takes a long time to get new models on the market in MD.

T

·
Registered
173 Posts
The ability to take hi-caps is not the issue.

Maryland has this procedure as a result of a bill passed some years ago that was meant to ban saturday night specials and other 'dangerous' pistols. Despite the hysteria that accompanied the new law, very few pistols have been disapproved or banned.

Yet.

That is a matter of how easy the review boards are. That can always change now that the have the procedure in place.

What it does mean currently is that it takes a long time to get new models on the market in MD.

T

Not "dangerous" guns, but "junk" guns (hence the Sat Night Special). They don't want guns that the poor people can afford getting into MD because they are more likely to commit a crime with the cheaper guns. I think they also tried to make it look like they were banning junk guns because they are more likely to blow up in your hands; they were doing us all a favor. :roll: Now that I wrote that out, perhaps that is what you meant by Dangerous guns; being a danger to the shooter. Either way, they are full of crap. I also see that HiPoint makes the list, is there any gun that was cheaper to buy than these? They are like $130 or something like that.

They had issues recently getting the board together and finally authorized a bunch of guns in January. I remember reading that they got the board together and approved every gun that was requested.

Now the liberals are trying to get the board membership replaced because Ceasefire MD lost their charter and a pro-gun group picked it up. Ceasefire MD also previously absorbed the group, Marylanders Against Handgun Abuse, Inc, which sits on the board. They don't like it that a pro-gun group is sitting on the board, but I don't see where they have a beef. The pro-gun group is just as against using handguns for crimes as any other group. This really shows the true colors of the liberals that want to make the change to the board. The bottom line is everyone wants to reduce crime, the liberals think they can do it by banning certain (all) handguns, even though the Brady grading scale shows that our A for gun control gets us the highest crime in the nation (Baltimore).

Don't worry, it will get there. I remember checking a few months ago and the FNP-9 and FNP-40 were not even listed. Curiously, they did have the Forty Nine Pist listed in 9mm, .40, and .357; I was figuring that the FNP stood for Forty Nine Pist when I was going to order one. Then the FNP was specifically listed a month after I checked, so I don't know if that is the case. If not, then the .357 is off limits too.

Any thoughts on that anyone?

Handgun roster search:
http://www.mdsp.org/services/handgun.asp

1 - 11 of 11 Posts