FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted before problems with+P 230jhp not feeding reliably, but now experienced same problems with Gold Dot 230jhp and double Tap 230fmjfp. using 15 round mags. Only Federal 230FMJ has been 100% since new 5 months ago, and have several hundred rounds thru it.
FNH is aware of my problem with the +Ps.
Would like to know other FNP 45 owner experiences, particularly number of rounds fired of a particular type, and reliability?

·
Banned
93 Posts
My FNP-45 is now over 1000rnds. Last time I shot it, I did have problems with the gun not returning to battery. I was using Blazer Brass FMJ 230gr. and have never had a problem with this ammo previously. The gun did this at least once every mag. so I could not narrow it down to any one magazine being the cause.

Furthermore, afterward while hand cycling Fed. Hydrashoks through the gun it would sometimes fail to return to battery as well. I then loaded the gun with what hand cycled the best (that I had on hand) which was Hornady TAP CQ 230gr. +P, but seeing the problems some have had with +P loadings in the FNP-45 I am not confident it will function that much better during live fire.

I am hoping the mag springs aren't wearing out already. At little over 1000rnds. these springs should still be young.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Besides 230 FMJ ammo I have.
Remington 230 gr JHP
Remington 185 gr JHP Golden Saber
Federal 165 gr JHP Hydra-Shock

Those feed well in my gun. I haven't found much else for SD ammo so haven't been able to try Gold Dots or such.

Do you have calipers to measure the OAL of the ammo that won't feed?
I can compare that to what I have on hand.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Remington GS 185 grain JHP..1.210" OAL
Remington UMC 230 gr JHP...1.245" OAL
Federal 165 gr JHP 1.210" OAL
WWB 230 gr FMJ 1.265" OAL

·
Banned
93 Posts
I do not have a calipers to measure the over all length of the rounds, nor do I have any of the rounds left.

These feeding probelms have only started recently past the 1000rnd. mark with the pistol, this makes me think something about the gun or mags. is to blame. Ammo that used to work fine (Blazer Brass) I am now having trouble with and this is what concerns me.

Furthermore, I feel I really shouldn't have to worry about feeding issues from a slight difference in the size of the rounds from box-to-box, call me crazy but the pistol should eat anything I put into it. If that ends up not being the case then I will probably be forced to sell the gun as I have no use for a pistol that is this pickey about the ammo I feed it. This would be a huge shame as I am very accurate with it and pleased with the pistol otherwise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts