FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new FNP 9 and I am very happy with the gun except the accuracy. It shoots 4 inches low and 3 inches to the left at 15 feet. This is with 3 different type of ammo and using a rest. There is no way that adjusting the sites will correct for the error. Have any of you had this problem? Is there any way the factory can correct for this if I send it in? The size of the groups are fine its the point of aim thats unacceptable.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
IF U are doing this on a rest or sandbags, and it is still doing this - then send it into the factory. If it isn't the shooter - then yes, there is a problem.

But, has more than 1 person - an experienced shooter - tried the gun yet?

It's not a DAO model, is it?

·
Registered
873 Posts
My FNP 40 shoots quite low with certain ammo as well.

Hmmm.... Methinks the rear sights are the wrong height.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called FN and they are going to take a look at the pistol. I am very impressed with their customer service thus far. I will keep you posted when it gets back, they estimate about a month.....:(

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got the pistol back after a little over a month. They replaced the barrel and sent the test firing target. Funny thing they shot it with 147gn rounds. It always seems that 115 or 124gn is more the norm. Oh well I will be taking it out to the range soon and see how its doing. As far as their customer service, great experience. I will let you know how its shooting.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from the range after getting it back from the factory repair. What a JOKE, they state they changed the barrel out and then sent a test target from 15 feet, what can you detirmine at 15 feet(5 yards)? At 15 yards the grouping is quite nice but it still shoots low and t the left. This time I measured from the center of the group 5" low and 4" to the left. What the hell can you do with that.....Nothing. When I have to qualify at work we shoot many shots at 15 yards and at 25 yards as well. I estimate that I probably cannot get any rounds on target at 25. I will have to get rid of this dog and I have nothing good to say about there factory service, I now question whether they did ANY work on the repair. By the way I went out and bought the exact same ammo(including weight of bullet) that they used and all shots were from the bench. FN SUCKS ! I can assure you they wont be getting many LE contracts with performance like that. Should have stick with the tried and true Glock. Anyone want a FNP 9???

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Have U tried shooting it on sandbags?

I had a USPc I SWORE was shooting low - and I am a pretty good shot. But, it was just me. Something about that gun - took me a while to get over shooting low with it...

·
Registered
116 Posts
A lot of M&P owners reported that their guns shot low and left when new. In most cases, it was just the shooter needing time to adjust to the grip and trigger. My 1911 grouped several inches left when I first got it and I swore that the sights were off. Then I concentrated on mechanics and trigger pull and pretty soon my shots were dead center.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips, off the bench was with sandabgs. I am a very experienced pistol operator, and am qualified with Many different guns. If there is any way it was me not the gun, I would not make the comments. I believe that FN like many of you thought that it was just some joe schmo that doesnt know the muzzle from the grip and pretended to work on the gun. After all this is an FN gun there is now way the gun could be gun, it must be the shooter. I am qualified on everything from multiple handguns, revolvers, subguns, shotguns, boltguns and always qualify every year at expert(perfect scores every year). What a disappointment in the pistol and FN. I will say I love the look feel and the DA/SA trigger pulls and the fit finish of the gun. But where it most matters, it is by far the worst pistol/revolver I have ever shot.....

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I found my .40 to be dead on the first time I took it out, and I'm new to pistols. I shoot this brand much better than my friends XD's. I think venison hunter's target pictures tell the tale pretty well. The statement "your mileage may vary" is a good one in this case.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wasn't suggesting that you don't know your way around a pistol, mike400. I bought an M&P some time ago and saw many posts on the M&P board about the pistol shooting low and left. If was such a common complaint about the M&P that many suggested that it was a design problem with the pistol. I never had that problem with the M&P and had the same experience as most M&P owners, that the pistol was ergonomic and very accurate.

There have been very few complaints about the accuracy of the FNP - far fewer than with the M&P. Your description of how far left and low it is shooting is unusual, so the natural first reaction is, as you said, to think that it must be the shooter and not the gun. Sort of like the trouble shooting instructions that come with some electrical appliances - "if it doesn't turn on when you flip the swithch, check to make sure it is plugged in before you call us."

Didn't mean to offend you - just saw too many complaints on the M&P board that turned out to be operator error and not mechanical inaccuracy.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No offense taken. I am more frustrated with the pistol and FN, I had high expectations and came out completely disapointed. My wife does not like the large grip of the glock and not wanting to spend large dollars customizing them, I thought the FNP with the interchangeable backstraps might do the trick. I just have no desire to try and convince FN to fix the pistol and waste another month or so of my time shipping and such. I will just sell the pistol and be done with it. I have seen some of the pics of nice groupings from other pistols here in the forums and other nice comments, but my experience unfortunately does not concur. Funny though FN has been to my dept trying to sell us on the pistol and has offered us FN armorers courses. I will be putting my .02 in to make sure we dont get any of their products. In MY experience the pistol and their service dont warrant it.... :-?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Its unfortunate that you had that experience. The fNP offers what should be a nice combination of features for LE, including a decocker with DA/SA trigger for safer carry than most other polymers, interchangeable backstraps, high capacity mags, smoother DA triggher than Sig, easiest takedown of any of the pistols that I have owned and a fairly straight feed angle that seems to make it a very reliable feeding pistol. I'm curious to see the results of testing by LE agencies to see how the pistol holds up.

As stated above, your problem seems to be pretty rare, which may explain why FN is treating it like operator error rather than a mechanical problem. Very few on this and other boards have reported mechanical accuracy problems with the pistol. In fact, the pistols inherent accuracy and ease of shooting are two things that impress most owners.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am curious why you stated that the sights can't be adjusted. That would seem to be the simple answer to the problem since you said the groupings were good, just low/left.

Is there something about the FN sights that make them un-allignable?

If one was to replace them (night sights :? ) you would have to allign them.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You cannot change elevation unless you get a taller front site or file down the existing one. You can drift the rear site a little to the side, however not too much otherwise you would be holding the pistol canted left or right each time. My armorers when they install new sites on our glocks(just what I have lots of experience with) they just center them on the gun. I have yet to hear of anyone needing them drifted L or R. I will say one thing for the FN, it did group fairly nicely. However the group was not anywhere near where I was aiming..... :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
accu.

i am sorry to hear you not happy with customer service at fn,try to deal with HK or see how long taurus customer service takes.now on to the problem,are you chassing the bullet? if you are stop,get three or four different boxes of ammo diff. wieght diff. manufact.get anther shooter with you set up at 5 10 and 15 yards {30 feet is the limit in most states for self defense shootings} use 5 rnd groups,off the bench dao is harder to bench shoot at most factories it is not done by hand but by machine which will be a better shot than us.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts