FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New guy, here. (New to this forum and the FN FNP line. Not new to shooting.)

I'm kind of in the market for a range pistol. Mostly informal combat-style paper-punching, but also the occasional pin shoot, and perhaps something like IDPA and so-on, eventually.

First considered the CZ 75B. But their stainless is now polished, instead of matte, and the manual of arms (either manually lowering the hammer or carrying in condition 1), does not appeal. I have my doubts about their painted coatings. So CZ was out.

Then the M&P line was brought to my attention. The M&P9 Pro looked like just the ticket, but research revealed way more growing-pain issues than I feel comfortable with.

So it looked like it was down to the "default" choice: The Glock G34.

Then I tripped-across mention of the FN FNP 9. I like the MOA. (Fond of Sigs, they've just priced themselves out of the market, for me.) Spent several hours researching the line, and malfunction complaints appear both few and quickly-handled by the factory. Of course I'll have to find someplace to try one--see if it shoots well for me.

Only thing is: There's no long-slide, or tactical, or what-have-you versions. But that's not necessarily a show-stopper.

So what do y'all think about, say, an FNP 9 USG (black-on-black, hopefully) as a competition pistol?

Right now this pistol may be the only thing between me and a G34 :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't have the 9, i have the 40. But Man o Man! most comfortable gun ive ever held. Everything is smooth and refined. The grouping's ive seen these guns capable of producing, along with the outstanding ergonomics of the gun, i sure dont see why not to use this in competition. Best of luck with your choice!

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I would have to agree with Zoomin. I have the 9mm USG FDE version, but there are black USG's out there now, but they are hard to find.

I am an absolute newb to pistols and I'm beginning to get very good groupings now that I'm over 1200 rounds (which is total that I have fired through pistols as well).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, by the lack-of-response from anybody who apparently actually uses these in competition, I guess I have my answer?

To the two of you who did reply: Thanks, but I was looking for something a bit different, feedback-wise :)

I wonder if FN has any plans in the works to ever come out with a tactical/competition version of, say, the FN FNP 9? Something similar to what Glock did with the G34 or what S&W did with the M&P9 Pro?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Several people here have used their FNP's for IDPA. Haven't heard about pin shoots, but I imagine it would do fine. I did shoot pins at my friends place from around 25 yards. He has 10 pins set up on a bench with a nice stop behind it. I did decent, but at the time it was only my 4th time shooting the pistol, so I'm pretty sure I could do better (wasn't trying to hard either).

·
Registered
53 Posts
FNP-9 in Competition

I am new to competition shooting, and have not seen any other FNP-9s in competition other than mine, when I used it for Steel Challenge and USPSA.

I will say that the longer sight radius of the G34 is a plus, especially with quality fiber-optic sights.

I shoot my FNP-9 about as well as my G34; however, the fiber-optic sights on my G34 let me acquire the targets faster, resulting in faster times.

The FNP-9 will do its part if you do yours. I am more comfortable with my FNP-9, but I am faster with the G34.

My .02

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: FNP-9 in Competition

shootemup said:
I will say that the longer sight radius of the G34 is a plus, especially with quality fiber-optic sights.

... the fiber-optic sights on my G34 let me acquire the targets faster, resulting in faster times.

I am more comfortable with my FNP-9, but I am faster with the G34.
Thanks for the comments, shootemup. That's about what I expected to hear. Looks like probably the G34 for me (or possibly an M&P9 Pro, but its teething pains are cause for concern). Too bad there's no extended-slide/tactical/competition version of the FN FNP 9. It looks to be a terrific pistol.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I had a G34 - for a couple of years. I finallys old it because I just couldn't take the Glock trigger. I had the lighter trigger version (it was stock, but a poind lighter). Itw as better than the heavier, standard Glock trigger. Butw as still so muchy. My P9's trigger is crisp. I also shot the P99 better.

I finally sold the G34 - I think it was 3 years ago this month that I sold it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ShipWreck said:
I had a G34 - for a couple of years. I finallys old it because I just couldn't take the Glock trigger.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the Glock trigger, either. But I want more sight radius. For COM at 7-10 yards, a 6" sight radius is fine--preferable, even. But for smaller targets and targets further-out, a longer sight radius translates into better accuracy on the part of the shooter, as a rule.

I imagine FN will eventually produce the FNP I want, but since they're apparently not even talking about it right now, it'll certainly be Far Too Late for me. My next pistol acquisition will likely be my last ever, save for possibly a Beretta 87 Cheetah.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts