FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had my FNP-9 for few months now and i noticed my "guide rod" i hope that is the right terminology, is severly scratched. I noticed it when i felt a delay in the slide action.i cleaned and lubed it when i got it with break-free CLP. it seems to be smoothing out the more i use it now though. i have been keping an eye on it. is it normal to "wear in" with such abrasion until it smooths out? or should it have stayed smooth and shiny? i will try to get a pic in if it helps...thanks.

ps, will it affect the pistol in any way, and if so does anyone know if i can purchase a new rod seperately?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Call customer service and or the parts department and order a steel guide rod assembly. It should be around $20 delivered. I bought two from FNHUSA and there is no marring of the guide rod.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I'm a new FNP-9 owner.

I love this gun so far, and I haven't experienced any failures of any kind through the first 300 assorted rounds. The gun shoots straight and points naturally, I really have no complaints... just the same observation that spawned this thread.

The aluminum recoil spring guide rod is severely pitted on my gun after only 300 rounds. This does not seem to affect it's operation at this early stage but it still concerns me. It looks like the spring will eventually start to bind and then fail.

I called FNH USA and spoke briefly with Shane, he said he'd never heard of a problem with this part and I shouldn't be concerned. After reading up on this excellent forum I'm not sure I buy that response... but what am I to do?

Is this something I should be worried about? I don't want to wait until it fails. Is there some kind of recall or service bulletin about this? And why are there two different guide rods (aluminum or steel) if this has never been a problem.

I'll buy a steel part if I have too, but the FNP person I spoke with didn't give me that option.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I would call back and try to speak with someone else. Ask for "Bob" - I am not sure what his last name is here, but someone else here can tell ya.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I didn't notice any guide rod scratching, but the top of the chamber of my barrel (the part of the barrel you see when gun is in battery) got pretty scratched up and wore the blueing off in two lines pretty quickly. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Rugerdude said:
I didn't notice any guide rod scratching, but the top of the chamber of my barrel (the part of the barrel you see when gun is in battery) got pretty scratched up and wore the blueing off in two lines pretty quickly. Anyone else notice this?
Top of the barrel wearing is normal - the side of my USPc has wear. My P99s has wear on the top too. All semi autos will have this wear. In fact, I think the more wear shows that the fit is tighter.

Only way U can stop this is to not shoot the gun.

The guiderod might be a valid complain, but that isn't...

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can send your guiderod to Steve Bedair. He will make you a custom stainless steel one for 25. I have them for my SIG's and CZ. I'll be doing a custom glock guide rod from him very soon. http://guiderod.com/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Call customer service and or the parts department and order a steel guide rod assembly. It should be around $20 delivered. I bought two from FNHUSA and there is no marring of the guide rod.
The new guide rods are NOT steel they are hard anodized aluminum and black in color.
I know this because I just got one after contacting Bob at FN with the same problem with my guide rod. The silver colored guide rods are non-anodized (bare) aluminum.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
"nofear" You can send your guiderod to Steve Bedair. He will make you a custom stainless steel one for 25. I have them for my SIG's and CZ. I'll be doing a custom glock guide rod from him very soon. http://guiderod.com/
I bought a couple of his guide rods. Good product at a good price.

·
Registered
73 Posts
nofear said:
You can send your guiderod to Steve Bedair. He will make you a custom stainless steel one for 25. I have them for my SIG's and CZ. I'll be doing a custom glock guide rod from him very soon. http://guiderod.com/

Forgive me for asking the obvious ...

WHY should he (or, anyone) have to buy a replacement part for a NEW firearm with only 300 rds. fired through it ????

FNH needs to make it right with the guy on THEIR dime, one would think.

On the bright side, his frame and, or, trigger parts didn't crack as yet, so maybe he can count himself among the blessed. :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts