FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a quick question. One of my magazines won't lock back on the last shot. Even when I rack the slide when the magazine is empty, it won't lock the slide unless I do a really hard and long pull. Do you guys have the same problem? During my first range day, all 3 did that until I went 100 rounds through the gun. Now the gun has 400 rds on it and only 1 magazine has been doing it. Should the mag be broken into?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
One thing you can look at. Pull the slide off and insert the magazine and see where on the plastic magazine follower the metal slide release tang is contacting it compared with your good mags. If it is simply a matter of the spring not having enough force to push that tang up, then it's a mag spring problem. If it's not contacting the follower at all, the follower or magazine body could be messed up.

You could try giving the mag spring a light stretch, and put a very light coating of lube on the spring and reassemble it and give it a try. If that doesn't work you've got a bad spring. FN would need to replace the whole mag if that is the case. Unfortunately no one sells the springs/followers separately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
B52U said:
One thing you can look at. Pull the slide off and insert the magazine and see where on the plastic magazine follower the metal slide release tang is contacting it compared with your good mags. If it is simply a matter of the spring not having enough force to push that tang up, then it's a mag spring problem. If it's not contacting the follower at all, the follower or magazine body could be messed up.
I will give this a try when I go home today.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Stretching the springs can/will be a short term fix. I had the same problem your having.

Just give up your gun for no more than 2 weeks, and let FN take care of the problem.......whatever the problem is.

FNH has great warranties and customer service, we're all lucky.........so take advantage of it.

They had mine shipped back to me, at no cost, in 8 days!!!!!! Never had a prob. since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts