FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been keeping my eye on these wonderful looking guns and am torn between the 9mm and the .357 Sig. I have wanted a .357 Sig from Sig Sauer until I found that the FNP line was a few hundred bucks cheaper. Now that I have decided to save for a FNP pistol, I don't know what to get.

I also noticed that .357 Sig isn't a cheap round. I used to buy Speer Lawman TMJ for practice in 9mm for like $8/50rnds. Now the 9mm is around $13/50rnds and the .357Sig is $25/50 rounds. I don't know if the faster round is worth the price. I do like to buy Double Tap ammo, and it is all around $25/50rnds, so If I strictly bought that and no practice rounds, then the price would be equal.

I have 2 9mm GLOCKS, a G19 and G26, so it would be nice to shoot the same round. I just think the .357 Sig would be a blast to shoot. I haven't checked the Wal*Mart to see if they even carry the oddball caliber, but i figure they do.

Do you think the .357 Sig will be around for a long time? or will it fade a little like the 10mm? I assume the 9mm will stick around forever, but I imagine the .40S&W is starting to pull ahead for favorite caliber. Maybe the 9mm prices will go up if the .40 far exceeds 9mm in sales.

One other factor is the giveaway that was extended to March 31, 2008. It seems that you don't get the holster and stuff with a .357 Sig pistol. Seems like a good deal if I go with 9mm. Of course if i don't get the money by then, the deal will not be a factor.

Do you .357 Sig guys really love the round? especially in the FNP? Do I just stick with the old favorite 9mm? Are the grips on both guns the same size?

I appreciate any info to help me decide.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've sort of made the circle when it comes to calibers. I started with the .40 S&W in a Glock 23 because that is what most law enforcement agencies use and it seemed like a good compromise between the 9mm and the 45 ACP cartridges. I found the .40 to be snappy and difficult to shoot accurately without lots of practice. Never really enjoyed shooting it.

Then I bought a 9mm M&P and loved it. Easy to shoot accurately and comfortable recoil. I really had trouble going back to the .40 after shooting the 9mm. However, I worried about stopping power.

I bought the FNP-40 because the M&P also convinced me that I didn't like the Glock grip angle. The FNP has been much more fun to shoot than the Glock. Softer shooting and more accurate. I like the decocker for extra safety when carrying.

Finally, I bought a 1911A1 in .45 ACP and now I'm wondering why the FBI ever thought that it needed to develop a cartridge that was a compromise between the .45 and the 9mm. I find the .45 to be less snappy than the .40 and easier to shoot accurately. I'm more accurate with it than with the 9mm. Its stopping power has been proven in combat and on the streets.

So that has led me to conclude that for self defense, the .45 is my choice and there is no need for a compromise caliber. For range shooting the 9mm is less expensive, fun and a good platform for working on mechanics. I sold my Glock because if I carry a .40, it will be the FNP because I shoot it better and I can decock it.

Going back to your original question, I see no practical use for a .357, either in magnum or Sig configuration. If you want something that is fun to shoot and easier on the pocket book, get a 9mm. If you want an accurate, time tested combat caliber, get the .45 ACP. If you want high velocity and snappy recoil, get the .40 because it will at least make a bigger hole than the .357.

As for me, my only question now is whether I trade my M&P 9mm for an FNP-9. I like the decocker with DA/SA trigger for carry and I figure that I can practice with the FNP-9 and carry the FNP-40 if I want more capacity than the 1911 single stack magazines provide.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt I go with a .45, I think it is a little bigger in the grip compared to the other FNP's. I'm trying to get rid of my G21 for that reason. I do like the .45, especially with the Double Tap ammo, but I don't like the fat grip. If there is no compelling reason to go .357, then perhaps I should just stick with 9mm. I am not worried about stopping power, any firearm is better than no firearm. I feel 9mm is just as effective as the next round; I don't want to start a caliber war, either. Now if I thought the .40 would come down in price, I would probably switch over. If the SHTF, and we had a domestic problem with gun confiscation, it would be nice to have the same caliber as those that would be violating your liberties. I suppose that would likely be the .40S&W. I usually use a 147 Gr 9mm round, sometimes in a +P configuration, I have no doubt that it is good enough for defensive situations.

Do they make conversion barrels yet for the .40 to shoot 9mm like in the GLOCKs? I regret going with 9mm for that reason alone. If I had bought a .40 GLOCK, I could have switched barrels for the .357 and the 9mm. 9mm doesn't lend itself to converting upwards do to the small barrel diameter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ostensibly, the FNP-45 was delayed repeatedly because of intermittent frame problems discovered in extended testing. It will be interesting to see if those problems continue into the production model now available.

Given that the recoil of the .357 Sig is also significant, that same problem may be what's delaying the FNP-357. Otherwise, as another member observed, the FNP-357 is merely a barrel change for the FNP-40.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts