FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about getting another fnp.....

i have a fnp45 - like it but a little difficult to shoot.....

i also have a 5-7 - absolutely love this gun - fun, but $$$ to shoot.

have an old s&w 469 9mm - shoots well.....

sonsidering an FNP 9 or 40..probably night sights......goal is more confortable shooting - but also want it to be an effective defense gun.

should i go 9mm or 40sw :-?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
The FNP9 will have less recoil - if you want something "comfortable" to shoot.

Out of all my 9mms, it is the lowest recoiling one I have.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
You can always get some 124gr. +P hollowpoints for defense. Those should work well. Plus, the 9 is cheaper to shoot and very comfortable as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the $$$ difference and the sig less recoil (i have heard that the 40 is pretty snappy) was my thought as well. but i was just in Wal-Mart - usaually try to avoid - but they had winchester 9 mm for 16.99/100 and 40sw for 19.99/100 - not a huge difference. is the added stopping power of the 40sw a big difference? the few guys in law enforcement that i have asked recommend something bigger than a 9. but i already have that in the fnp-45.

once again, i seem to over analyze.......

one other thing - probably gonna pick up a fs-2000 tactical. :?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I recently bought 1,000 rounds of S&B FMJ 9mm for $220 online. I then found that I can pick up the same ammunition at a discount ammo place at a Washington Arms Collector show for about $200 (and support a local business). The last time I bought WWB at Wally's it was only $11 for 50 -- I'm really surprised you had to pay $17.

Around here, .40SW would cost me about a third more than 9mm.

The FNP9 is a soft gun -- really controllable and a nice recoil. I have NOT had a chance to try an FNP40, but the 9 is a lot softer than a .40SW Sig I DID try, if that helps any. :)

I'm a 9mm guy, but I also tend to shoot 200 or 300 rounds at a time when I go with my wife or son, so I'm sensitive to the price of ammunition. I might be wrong, but I doubt there is a whole lot of difference between hitting someone in the chest with a 9mm or a .40. Besides, my wife really likes the FNP9, and it's an advantage to have something we both like to shoot. At least until I pick up my next pistol!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
This may open up a can o' worms, but If you want to get technical about the reason they came up with the .40 you have to read the FBI after action report of the 1986 Miami Firefight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.40

The FBI actually adopted the 10mm after this, but found that it was unmanageable for most officers to say the least. Enter stage left 40 S&W, 50% more energy than a 9mm, but still manageable recoil, and similar capacity.

If it's all about cost, shoot a .22. Only a few cents a bullet and no recoil.

If I could conceal the .45 as easily, I would go with that, but for now the .40 does the job.

·
Registered
57 Posts
B52U said:
Enter stage left 40 S&W, 50% more energy than a 9mm, but still manageable recoil, and similar capacity.
More like 10-30% more energy for high-energy 9mm rounds. Link to FBI gelatin penetration results: http://demigodllc.com/~zak/firearms/fbi-pistol.php. Most of the 9mm +p rounds are around 400 (as high as 442) compared to the high 400s for the hot .40 SW. Plenty of 9mm rounds have higher energy than some .40s. It's not as simple as you make it sound -- and I can always practice with standard-load, cheaper 9mm FMJ while loading rounds like Cor-Bon +Ps for self-defense. There aren't any really cheap options in .40SW. If you like .40 better -- that's fine with me. I just don't think I need it. If it's all about energy, get a .500 magnum.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I would either get a 9mm or 45 IMO. I don't own a .40 currently but 45 is my "comfort" round. :?

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you find the .45 uncomfortable to shoot and your goal is more comfortable shooting, then get the 9mm. The .40 is the least comfortable to shoot IMO. That is for all guns, not just the FNP.

I read a good description of the difference in recoil between the calibers in another forum. Recoil has two components that you perceive. Force and speed. A .45's recoil is hard, but slow. A 9mm's recoil is fast, but soft. The .40's recoil is both hard and fast. My personal experience is that I find the 9mm most comfortable to shoot, followed by the .45, with the .40 being the snappiest and hardest to control. Even though the .45 is a larger caliber, the casing pressure is only about half of the .40 (22 -25,000 psi for the .45 compared to 40,000 psi for the .40 and 35,000 psi for the 9mm).

I own a .40, not because its recoil is less than the .45, but because I think that it is a good combination of size, stopping power and capacity. The FNP .40 gives you 14 + 1 rounds of .40 cal in a package identical in size to the 9mm FNP.

My view is buy what you will enjoy shooting, because terminal ballistics means nothing unless you hit your target. Accuracy with a handgun takes lots of practice, so the more you enjoy shooting a handgun , the more likely you will practice enough with it to become and remain proficient with it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I own a 9mm, .40cal, .45acp and if I had to do it all over again I would just stick with one caliber. I would pick the one I shoot the best and just shoot the snot out of it.

If I had to select one it would probably be the 9mm, mind you I started out with the .45acp, then went to the .40, and then the 9mm.

my reasons are the 9mm is less expensive than the above stated calibers which means more practice for same amount of money spent on other calibers, more ammo capacity = stay in the fight longer w/o reloading, less recoil = faster follow ups shots, easier to shoot with one hand if one becomes disabled, my wife shoots 9mm so i would only have to stock up on one caliber, still a decent defensive cartridge using proper ammo.

remember there is no magic bullet that will always incapcitate/kill the bad guy in one shot, its all about shot placement and being able to stay in the fight. if you're worried about penetrating through objects to get to the bad guy then i say test your carry ammo to know what it can/can't do and then work to its strengths in a real life situation.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Fabius said:
I read a good description of the difference in recoil between the calibers in another forum. Recoil has two components that you perceive. Force and speed. A .45's recoil is hard, but slow. A 9mm's recoil is fast, but soft. The .40's recoil is both hard and fast.
Interesting point. I have very little time firing .45ACP, but when I tried a Kimber 1911, my son and I both thought it was very easy to shoot. Of course, I'm 6'3" and my son is even taller than me, so we both outweighed the pistol. For us, the Kimber wasn't any more difficult to shoot than my own 9mm. I found the Sig .40 I shot was harder to handle than the Kimber, although still not overwhelmingly difficult. I think I'd add a .45 to my collection before a .40.

·
Registered
57 Posts
B52U said:
I knew this would be a can o' worms. Everyone gets so defensive over caliber choice.
I really hope other people make other choices, and then invite me to go shooting with them! I made my first choice a 9mm after renting a dozen pistols, but I can't claim to be an expert. When it comes to "what is the best caliber to kill people" I think nearly all of us need to rely on the claims and experience of others.

"I know not what course others may follow, but as for me, give me smaller calibers or give me death." Or something like that. You know, once you decide to shoot something smaller than a ma deuce, it's all pretty much the same. :?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
JustRick said:
Interesting point. I have very little time firing .45ACP, but when I tried a Kimber 1911, my son and I both thought it was very easy to shoot. Of course, I'm 6'3" and my son is even taller than me, so we both outweighed the pistol. For us, the Kimber wasn't any more difficult to shoot than my own 9mm. I found the Sig .40 I shot was harder to handle than the Kimber, although still not overwhelmingly difficult. I think I'd add a .45 to my collection before a .40.
Realize that a fullsize steel 1911 is usually the softest shooting 45 gun. Some of the polymer 45s have much more recoil.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Number 9... Number 9... (Think Beatles)

I'm starting to wish I had stayed with 9mm and 45ACP. The main reasons I bought guns in 40S&W are because I had heard over and over how weak the 9mm was, and because it usaually only requires a barrel swap to have a 357SIG.

I never have bought any 357 barrels and hot 9mm ammo can get pretty close to standard 40 stats. I wish my 40's were 9's, but that is just me, everyone has their own view and opinion.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
update

well - i got a chance to shoot a fnp-9 (my brother's who just got one last week) vs. fnp-45 (mine), vs FiveSeven (mine), vs glock model ?? 40SW (my brother's). the glock was a compact model - but supposed to have a heavier slide/spring to lessen recoil felt........

first time indoors for over twenty years! what fun! we need one in flagstaff - especially in the winter.

glock - well balanced, trigger pull had some gsmithing done and was quite nice. but, the recoil was significantly harsher than any of the other guns. it is a compact model, so this is also a big factor.

fnp-45 - my groups were much better than i thought based on my outdoor plinking. i am really starting to like this gun. still ejects into my face a few times, but better than last session. left the slide back for a few days. also trying to grip firmer with my left hand.....i have relatively small hands. i probably limp wrist it....

57 - still love this gun. tight groups. f/u shots a breeze. i have 4000 rounds and they will go quickly at this pace - also have a ps90 so .......

fnp-9 - the recoil was practically non-existent. the grip much more comfortable for my small hands. overall i really liked it - probably going to order one......

THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP AND FEEDBACK! :?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the fnp-9 will have to wait for a little while - just put money down on a fs-2000. i have an addiction.......... :oops:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts