FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 3 of 72 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
I have only seen a few posts on this subject, and you should probably believe that if it happens to ANYONE, they would post it on the first FN forum they find.

So, IMO, there are probably few cases of this happening, could be a bad batch of guns?

I have about 1,000+ rnds through my FNP9 and not a single malfunction or problem.

· Registered
14 Posts
I examined mine again REAL closely, it looks like on the left side the steel pin is reinforced with a steel or aluminum insert that fits inside the polymer hammer assembly. On the right side however it is just polymer.

What I see that is IMO the issue on SOME of these guns, is that there is a casting line/mark right next to the pin, which is where all of these appear to be cracking. It goes straight up to the top from the front of the pin location.

Another thing I notice, comparing your pictures with my FNP, is that the polymer hammer assembly on yours seems to have a rough-like texture to it, whereas mine is very smooth, but the fiberglass strands are sort of visible on the surface. I don't know if they changed production methods on this part or what because for the first year of owning my FNP this issue was nonexistant, and I have one of the earlier 'all black' models (the controls all black, no silver. So that could be a possibility.

I don't know if the pins are oversized or the holes undersized or if its just this casting mark that is causing stress to be located to the surface on this point causing the cracks, but thats what I see.

IMO, I think they should have used steel or aluminum for the rear hammer assembly/housing thing.

With over 1,000 rounds, I have not had a SINGLE issue with my FNP however, and hope it stays that way!

· Registered
14 Posts
Wonder if that Texturing is a contributing factor to these frames cracking???

Maybe some sort of flaw in the mixing of the particular polymer batch prior to mold process?
Very well could be. On a stressed part, if there are ridges or a texture, the stresses will tend to gather on the ridges or casting marks and cause a fracture, instead of being distributed evenly across the surface. This is why people shot-peen connecting rods in engines, for example

1 - 3 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.