FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know in some pistols, the recoil and handling can vary widely from two identical brands and models, chambered in 9mm and .40.

How do the FNP 9 and .40 handle compared to each other? Does the latter have a lot of muzzle whip? thanks for any input!

Doug

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Venison Hunter can answer this one, he has both a 9 and a .40. In my experience the .40 muzzle flip is not very bad.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I own a .40 and my roommate has the 9mm. Although the FNP 40 is much softer than other 40 calibers I have shot, I think the 9mm has less climb to it, but not by much. If that is the determining factor in your purchase, go with the .40. You get more stopping power with a negligible decrease in the control of the gun. I have gotten very accurate with the .40 esp during rapid fire.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got an FNP45 and 2 weeks later I bought a FN9. Got to shoot the 9 Thursday. My buddy has a 40. The 45 has less recoil than the 40. The 9 is very pleasant and very accurate to shoot. I bought it simply because it's cheaper to shoot. If I can find a concealed rig for my 45 I will carry it. They are both reliable beyond words. I can't say enough good things about 'em. I have a 1911 45 ACP, FNP45, Baretta 92FS 9, and an FN9. Sure simplifys shopping for ammo.

Don't get me wrong here. That 40 is an incredible gun also.

FNP - Hi cap, target grade barrel. The undisputed MOST bang for the buck. Who could ask for more.

jkbduck

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I have an easier time controlling the FNP 40 than the SIG's and XD's. That may be because the ergonomics fit me better, but it just seemed to be less potent in recoil.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i can only vouch for the fnp 9, very mild recoil so its very easy to control if i were you i would get the 9mm and take the extra rounds in the magazine over the .40 and not look back

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I disagree, I think the potency of the .40 deserves consideration. Man up and take the recoil! yeah.

·
Banned
93 Posts
I prefer the recoil of the FNP-45 over the FNP-40. Thats not to say the recoil is strong with the .40, the .45 is like a slow "shove" to the rear while the .40 has more of the characteristic "snap" the round is known for. The FNP in both chamberings is a big gun and keeps the recoil to a minimum compared to some other pistols. The .45 is very controllable and with FN's downright brilliant idea of making it hold 14 rounds you aren't losing any capacity either.

If you really want a .40 caliber pistol, buy an HK. HK makes the .40 feel like a 9mm. Nothing handles the recoil of the .40 better then a HK USP as the pistol was designed around the .40S&W cateridge. Most other .40 caliber pistols are simply "scaled up" 9mm's. I really love the .40... as long as it's an HK. :cool:

In contrast, the Glock 23 in .40 is probably the "snappiest" .40 caliber pistol I have shot. It seems as if it transfers all the recoil directly to the shooter. I'll take my Glocks in 9mm and leave the .40 to other platforms.

The 9mm is the "bread and butter" and is pleasure to shoot. If it's your first handgun, whatever gun you purchase, get the 9mm. Cheap ammo means more practice. Also, the 9mm round is still perfectly adequate for self-defense as well. :?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I think the Beretta PX4 in 40 cal is the lowest recoiling 40 cal pistol I have ever shot.

And, as much as I love the P99 A/S in 9mm - I think the 40 cal P99 is one of the highest recoiling 40 cal (I wouldn't want a 40 cal P99).

I don't even care for the 40 cal round, but I did buy the PX4 after I was impressed (it felt like a 9mm basically). I don't shoot it very much - but I don't think I'll sell it off.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Wow this is totally off topic lol. Im debating on weather to get a Kimber 1911, another H&K or an FNP.... ::FF::

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Just took the FNP-40 out again shooting yesterday. Put another 160 rounds through it. I get better with every range session. I'm sure the 9 is easier to control out of the box, but you can get used to controlling the snappiness.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts