FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After one trip to the range and about 100 rounds I noticed 2 small chips on the slide below "FNP-9M". Has anyone else had this problem with a newer FNP-9 or FNP-9M?

I can't tell for sure where the chips came from, but it looks as if the slide release lever may be hitting the slide when it cycles during firing.

If the chipping continues, I will contact FN and see if this is a common problem and if they have a fix.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My FNP 40 has this under the P, it stopped after about 200 rounds and looks the same after 1100 through it. I wouldnt worry, but i have yet to hear about 2 chips. I think the early models had some issue and it seem's common, but will not effect the gun's reliabilty, if your worried give FN a call and see whats the dealo.

Not one single FTF or FTE or other odd problems, except one near Squib because of i got to much clp on the bullet's primer..but otherwise been flawless for over 1000 rounds

my sig isnt this reliable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the "gouging" that I am getting is identical to that shown in the other forum's pictures. I don't see how it would be possible to do this while disassembling the gun. If it doesn't get any worse I don't intend to worry about it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mine has it too. Kinda sucks becuase I take good care of my firearms.

Hopefully this design flaw will be taken care of for future production. The FNPS are such a great looking pistol.........

·
Registered
873 Posts
My FNP 40 did the same thing. Small nick after 50 to 100 rounds, that has not gotten worse after 600 odd.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
the "gouging" that I am getting is identical to that shown in the other forum's pictures. I don't see how it would be possible to do this while disassembling the gun. If it doesn't get any worse I don't intend to worry about it.
+1, it is not improper disassembly that is causing this. It is only a minor cosmetic issue, and won't affect function at all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After doing extensive online research in other forums I will agree with McLovin that it is a design flaw. A design flaw that should have been rectified long before now based on postings about this problem that go back at least 18 months.

My S & W 3913 that has well over 2000 rounds thru it shows no visible signs of wear. Neither does my Sigma 40 that has over 600 rounds thru it.

Based on my past automobile assembly experience problems such as this should be caught and rectified before the product leaves the factory. Looks to me like a slight mod to the slide could have been made to eliminate the "gouging".

If mine gets any worse I will be calling FN. Otherwise I will live with it.

One other thing that I have noticed is that there is quite a bit of vertical play between the slide and the frame at the end of the barrel. Much more than either of my S & W's have. Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this on their FNP-9 or 40?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
mray4198 said:
One other thing that I have noticed is that there is quite a bit of vertical play between the slide and the frame at the end of the barrel. Much more than either of my S & W's have. Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this on their FNP-9 or 40?
When the slide is open or closed?

If open - it really depends on the brand of gun.

I have some guns that have barrels with a lot of play when the slide is locked back - and others that do not.

·
Registered
38 Posts
barrel is free floating so it will wiggle some

my rugers are the worst with wiggle from the bore, but dead reliable, i would trust my life with one any day.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
forestranger, if both of yours are tight and mine has quite a bit of slop, I am beginning to get concerned.

Let's be sure that we are talking about the same thing. If I grasp my slide and frame just behind the front sight with my thumb and forefinger and squeeze I get considerable vertical movement which closes the gap. Also, looking into the front of the gun (looking in the barrel) there is quite a gap between the slide and frame, which closes somewhat when I squeeze the two together. If yours are not like this then I must have a problem. If so, I will be calling FN on Tuesday to discuss.

Thank you all for your input.

·
Registered
873 Posts
mray4198, just so we understand, you are not talking about barrel/slide lock up? You are talking about the gap between the polymer frame and the slide at the very front of the dustcover area?

·
Registered
229 Posts
OK, I double checked FNP9 & M. W/mag or W/O mag, there is very small amount of vertical play. Best I could measure, about .1cm.or <1/16". No horizontal play. 3 other polymer 9s have more play than FNs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is a picture looking down the barrel of my FNP-9M. Note the gap between the frame and slide. This gap can be closed up by squeezing the frame and slide together. This gap is the same with no magazine, with empty magazine and with a loaded magazine.

img/img

This is a picture looking down the barrel of my Sigma 40:

img/img

Note that the slide and frame fit together snugly.

This is a picture of the "chip" or "gouge" on the slide of my FNP-9M:

img/img

I'm just searching for answers, since this is the only FN that I own. Also, the only local gun shop that sells FN's is 25 miles away, so I don't have anything to compare to except for my S & W pistols.

I will have to say that the fit and finish of the FN is rather disappointing considering that I paid considerably more for it than I did for the Sigma.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts