FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any of you FNP owners fill me in on the quality of the polymer used in the FNP series, as compared to the polymer used in the Glocks, Berettas and HKs?

For those of you that own FNPs and other polymer pistols, please give me an honest assessment of how the plastic in the FNP compares to that used in the other guns mentioned.

How about the finish on the slide? I'm not a fan of the crappy epoxy finish (Bruniton) that Beretta uses on their pistols these days. In fact, it may be the reason I get rid of mine, despite how much I like the styling and shootability of the Storm. I just don't think baked-on paint is a finish suitable for a quality handgun, especially in areas of metal to metal contact. I've never had a problem with mine, but I'd prefer something different.

I'm considering picking up a FNP-9 to replace another semi-auto I have. It may even replace my beloved PX4 Storm, depending on what else I decide to buy (possibly a Five-Seven) and how much I find out about any durability/reliability issues with the FNP before I buy. The PX4 has been terrific and I don't want to replace it with something inferior.

I've read about the sear issues and also the frame cracks. Have these issues been resolved?

How is the accuracy of the FNP? My PX4 is very accurate and get around 5" groups at 25 yards for me (which is good for me), but I've heard of others getting sub 2" inch groups with the PX4 at that range. How does the FNP-9 stack up against those groups?

Can any of you give me some straight-up information on these questions? If so, I'd really appreciate it!!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I think the frame cracks are a rare thing. Hell, some Glock owners have cracked the slide around the firing pin from dry firing. And, I've seen issues with occasional frame cracking on other brands. I think that's pretty rare, personally.

If U really want to holster wear proof your guns, you can always have the slide hard chromed. I have 3 hard chromed slides. Now, no more marking on it...

As for the sear issue - so far, it seems that only 1 guy has had this problem...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I belive they call the finish TENINITE, something like that. I use mine in USPSA competition(once a month, just for fun). I practice draw and fire ALOT. I use a leather hoster. As you can see in the picture, its maybe a little shiney on the sharp edges. No scratches to speak of. Literally, thousands of times in and out of the holster. It's the only plastic gun I own, so I have nothing to compare the polymer to, it too is still in great shape. I'd give it an A+ for durability of the finishes.

eta: If I had to pick a bullseye gun, I'd go with my BHP, but for tactical/USPSA use, I prefer my FNP.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the feedback. Looks good!

I'd hoped to get a few more responses, but most everything I've read has been good, so far.

Thanks again!

Uncle Screwtape said:
I belive they call the finish TENINITE, something like that. I use mine in USPSA competition(once a month, just for fun). I practice draw and fire ALOT. I use a leather hoster. As you can see in the picture, its maybe a little shiney on the sharp edges. No scratches to speak of. Literally, thousands of times in and out of the holster. It's the only plastic gun I own, so I have nothing to compare the polymer to, it too is still in great shape. I'd give it an A+ for durability of the finishes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The finish is called Melonite, not what I said earlier. The slide is made of stainless steel, so even if it did wear or scratch, it will not rust. Another plus.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Screwtape! I knew the FNP45 had the Melonite finish, which is much like the Tenifer finish on the Glocks, but I had no idea that the other FNPs had that finish. I've heard good things about it.

I hope someone can chime in on how the polymer stacks up.

The finish is called Melonite, not what I said earlier. The slide is made of stainless steel, so even if it did wear or scratch, it will not rust. Another plus.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
As far as frame material is concerned, I prefer the polymer on the FNs over other poly pistols. It almost has a rubbery feel to it, very flexible. The whole pistol design is outstanding in my opinion. Design to me is just as important as reliable function, and they feel less toy like than HKs do IMO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts