FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent my FNP 9 in for the same cracked piece in the trigger group that has been much talked about and well documented on this site.
I called FNP service dept yesterday and learned that they are on a 4 to 6 week turnaround on repairs. Lots to do I guess. I asked them about just replacing the firearm with a new one considering it was only 6 months old. Was then transferred to the sales dept.
There I was told that they have the part to repair this problem and that it will be a few weeks before my gun is returned. In other words no we will not replace your firearm with a new one.
Ok fine with me. Next question I asked was when will the .357 be made available. Answer was early Feb. Ok. How about this. As long as it's going to take at LEAST that long to repair my FNP 9 how about sending me a .357 and I will pay the additional cost to upgrade along with FFl fees etc. Answer was "well thats a whole different process and the answer is no".
All of which is fine with me. I will just be without my FNP for another month or so. But I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from the folks at FNP at all. Surely was not left with the impression that were the least bit interested in doing anything more than what was required of them.
Customer service rating with 10 being the highest I will give them a generous 5.
Still love that gun though.. :-?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
just so you know - I sent my FNP .40 for the same repair. It arrived on Nov 25 got it back yesterday. They replaced the entire gun. I received a brand new pistol with paperwork showing SN changes.


Great service taking into account the holidays. I hope the problem has been solved on the FN side and this pistol offers years of trouble free shooting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
batakgt said:
just so you know - I sent my FNP .40 for the same repair. It arrived on Nov 25 got it back yesterday. They replaced the entire gun. I received a brand new pistol with paperwork showing SN changes.


Great service taking into account the holidays. I hope the problem has been solved on the FN side and this pistol offers years of trouble free shooting.
This puzzles me even more. If they are going to send you a brand new gun why would it take 6 weeks? I am with ship I thought a new gun would have to go through a ffl. Another question would be why replace some customers gun but not others?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
No, if you get a replacement from a manufacturer, they can ship it directly to you. I got a replacement Raging Bull from Taurus and they shipped it directly to me.

I'd like Batakgt to look at the frame of his new FNP and see if FN has made any changes to the design of the frame to prevent future problems.

It took me 6 weeks to get my new Raging Bull from Taurus. It just takes a while for these manufacturers to take a look at a gun. You have to remember that no manufacturer, not even FNH, has a giant staff of gunsmiths and CS reps on staff to speed up the process.

My bet is that lastmanstanding will get a new pistol with a slightly different frame.

I always thought that if they totally replaced the gun with a new S/N - it had to come back thru an FFL....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I guess they know what they are doing, but AO just replaced a M1 Carbine for me under warranty repair, and it went through the FFL of my choice. They would not ship it directly to me.

Good luck on your new gun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
I guess they know what they are doing, but AO just replaced a M1 Carbine for me under warranty repair, and it went through the FFL of my choice. They would not ship it directly to me.

Good luck on your new gun.
Is AO the manufacturer of the weapon?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,557 Posts
Yes - otheres I have read that got replacement guns from various manufacturers always had to go thru an FFL. The exception I once read about was Keltec - who supposedly just put the old serial # on a new gun and then destoryed the old one.... Or, so someone claimed...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Yes - otheres I have read that got replacement guns from various manufacturers always had to go thru an FFL. The exception I once read about was Keltec - who supposedly just put the old serial # on a new gun and then destoryed the old one.... Or, so someone claimed...
This may depend on what state you live in. On the federal level, there is no requirement to go through an FFL if the MANUFACTURER is replacing your gun. This is not the case if a dealer is replacing the gun- you'd have to go through an FFL in this case, just like if you bought a new gun.

However, some states, California for instance, may have more restrictive laws.

As far as I know, it would be illegal for Keltec to put an old SN on a new gun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I guess they know what they are doing, but AO just replaced a M1 Carbine for me under warranty repair, and it went through the FFL of my choice. They would not ship it directly to me.

Good luck on your new gun.
Is AO the manufacturer of the weapon?
Yes, Auto Ordnance/Kahr.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
to tell you the truth I can't tell what was different. I will look at the pics i took and see if there is anything that stands out.

I hope it is not a recurring problem. As far as shipping - it came right my house from UPS and it had a work order sheet that said SN XXXXX replaced with SN XXXXXX.

It did take about 5 weeks and that is with the Christmas and New Years Holiday. So not too bad IMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
PX4 Storm said:
As far as I know, it would be illegal for Keltec to put an old SN on a new gun.
I don't believe so, because that is the case with their replacements. The internal frame contains the S/N and when it requires replacement (what my PF9 is going through at the moment), they replace the old frame with a revised version that has your old S/N. They would then probably have to destroy the old frame.

Regardless, it happens all the time at Keltec.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
If there's an internal metal frame that has the serial number engraved on it, that is the frame or receiver for ATF purposes, so they can replace the plastic that surrounds the metal frame. That doesn't actually count as replacing the receiver, because the metal frame that the serial number is engraved on is the receiver.

garn said:
PX4 Storm said:
As far as I know, it would be illegal for Keltec to put an old SN on a new gun.
I don't believe so, because that is the case with their replacements. The internal frame contains the S/N and when it requires replacement (what my PF9 is going through at the moment), they replace the old frame with a revised version that has your old S/N. They would then probably have to destroy the old frame.

Regardless, it happens all the time at Keltec.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
PX4 Storm said:
If there's an internal metal frame that has the serial number engraved on it, that is the frame or receiver for ATF purposes, so they can replace the plastic that surrounds the metal frame. That doesn't actually count as replacing the receiver, because the metal frame that the serial number is engraved on is the receiver.
Clear there, but they are replacing the aluminum frame, which has my serial number on it, and have replaced very many frames/receivers. It's a good thing Keltec has such good customer support and warranty, because if not they would not be in business hehe..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,557 Posts
Yes - they are replacing the enire "firearm" - and are destroying the original and putting the serial # on the old one. As long as the old one is destroyed, this seems like it should be okay.

I know that on the small Keltec pistols, the receiver is actually the steel insert - not the "grip" that is over it. But, I've seen many people who have had their entire Keltec firearm replaced, and it had the old #.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top