FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering getting an FNP 40, but would like a little more information on the reliability of the FNP design. I saw the sear tilt thread in the "FNP Issues" section, but it appears that only one poster in that thread actually experienced a problem.

I'd like to see how many of you have had problems with your new FNP and, just as importantly, how many of you have had no problems with your weapons. Please post your experiences, including the caliber and size or your FNP (FNP 40, FNP 9 and FNP 9m) and trigger configuration. Thanks for your input.

BTW, I've handled and dry fired several FNP fullsize models in the store and the FNP has one of the best DA triggers I've tried yet. I'm looking to get a DA/SA configuration. I also like the way the gun feels and points. I'm hoping, of course, that it is reliable because I will be replacing a Glock 23 that has been 100% reliable through several thousand rounds.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have an FNP 40 in the standard DA/SA configuration.

It has been 100% reliable, and functions properly with any ammo I have tried, and I've put many different brands and types through it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have the FNP9-M. While my round count has not been fantastically high, I can tell you that it has eaten everything I've put through it, including reloads that my Glock wouldn't eat. I've found the design of the pistol to be extremely well thought out, as well as durable. I own the DA/SA version of the pistol, and it's the only gun I own that I would trust hands down to work in any situation. I find the DA trigger appropriately heavy to maintain a certain level of safety while carrying, but light enough to not lose accuracy for first shot response. The single action trigger, to me is just right. To me, the pistol is a perfect carry piece, I never have enough good things to say about it.

This thread may give you some idea of why I like it.

http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=2177

The pistol fits my hand perfectly for a compact pistol.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input and the pics. I really like the feel of the gun when I've dry fired it in the store. The gun feels and looks like a solid, reliable weapon.

Anyone else care to share their experiences?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a DA/SA 40. Haven't shot a lot of round through it, but it fired great. No problems and in my opinion it feels better than the M&P and XD. If you can get a good price too, even better. Good brand overall, only downside I have seen so far is since it's a fairly new model there are not many accessories made specifically for it, not like the thousands of things you can get for a glock.

I'm happy with my purchase though, picked it up for $400.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input Rayzz. I handled one again at a gun store today and am beginning to think that the FNP feels and points better than my M&P, which is saying something. They let me field strip it and the fit and machine work looks excellent. It also looks like the feed angle from the top of the magazine to the chamber is pretty straight and requires little assist from the feed ramp to feed a round. That should increase reliability. Now I just need to see if I can find a better deal. The cheapest I've found in my area is $489.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My FNP 9 and 40 have functioned flawlessly. The first time I shot my 9 was at a two day pistol course. I didn't clean or oil it (bad idea, I know.) and I dumped over 1000 rounds through it between the two days with no problems.

I also have a Browning Pro 40 which has replaced my FNP 40 as my carry pistol. I had 1 FTF with the Browning and it seemed to be caused by the mag not being seated all the way. Did a tap and didn't even have to rack and it fed that same round in the rest of the way and went bang.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I also have a Browning Pro 40 which has replaced my FNP 40 as my carry pistol.
why?

for all intents & purposes the Browning Pro 40 = FN P40 (and the Pro 9 = P9) as far as I know. which is not surprising since the FN group owns the Browning brandname (as well as Winchester (though only the guns, not the ammo) etc).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. I bought the FNP 40 and took it to the range this weekend. 100 rds of FMJ and 50 rds of JHP all fed flawlessly. The DA trigger is smooth and easy to control and the SA trigger is sweet with a little takeup and very smooth break. I was more accurate with the FNP in this first outing than I am with my Glock 23 after several thousand rounds. The FNP is a pleasure to shoot and feels very natural in my hand.

The feed angle is almost straight in and I noticed that I could ride the slide forward slowly and it still fed a round easily and slickly. The gun gives every indication of being very dependable. Based on the way the gun performed at the range I am already comfortable relying on it as my primary carry weapon.

What I really like about the FNP is the ability to carry it decocked. The DA trigger is smooth enough to allow an accurate first shot and the transition to SA is very natural on this gun. The decock gives, IMO, added safety when handling and carrying it without detracting from the utility of the weapon. It seems to be a great gun at a good price.

·
Registered
203 Posts
SuA said:
I also have a Browning Pro 40 which has replaced my FNP 40 as my carry pistol.
why?

for all intents & purposes the Browning Pro 40 = FN P40 (and the Pro 9 = P9) as far as I know. which is not surprising since the FN group owns the Browning brandname (as well as Winchester (though only the guns, not the ammo) etc).
Because I can carry the Browning cocked and locked if I feel I want or need to. I usually don't, but the option is there if needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
MY FNP-9 IS 4 1/2 YRS OLD AND NEVER A MALFUNCTION. SHOT WEEKLY. THESE PISTOLS ARE THE WORLD'S BEST KEPT SECRET AS TO HOW REALLY GOOD THEY ARE....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that information, Gunguru. I own a Glock 23, an M&P 9 and the FNP-40. I love my M&P, but the FNP may end up being my favorite because of the DA/SA configuration and the way it points and shoots.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts