FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty close in making my selection between the FNP .45 or the Smith and Wesson M&P .45. I have never shot or attend a IDPA Match but would like to do it for fun. I have seen quite a bit on the tube.

As a matter of fact I just finished watching Shooting Gallery and Shooting USA tonight that cover the sport. I'm curious as to which would be the better choice, the FNP DA/SA trigger or the S&W striker fired?
:-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
The FNP 45 is cheaper, has a higher capacity mag, and has interchangeable backstraps to fit your hand better. I don't know much about striker fired pistols, but I personally would take the FNP 45 over the S&W M&P 45 for the reasons listed above.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Personally, I have never shot IDPA or any Defensive Shooting sport, but like you I am interested. When I purchased my FNP9, I asked my gun-man if he had any DA/SA, but all he had in stock was SAO which he recommended if I was thinking of shooting in a league. He used to shoot and said that in order to stay away from the DA shots, the SAO was the way to go.

From what I've experianced, the M&P has a very light trigger pull for DA more so than the DA pull for the FNP, but if you can find an FNP45 with a safety as well, than you can start C&L and eliminate the DA shot altogether. But again, I've never actually shot a match.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can someone please inform me about the whole anti-DA argument? It's also SA for crying out loud, and cycling the weapon brings the hammer up. FNPs are now coming with manual safeties, and are more safe than 1911s (by having a firing pin block).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have nothing against DA, just that when shooting competition, every shot counts and having the heavier trigger pull on even one shot sould effect your scores.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bullseye509 said:
I have nothing against DA, just that when shooting competition, every shot counts and having the heavier trigger pull on even one shot sould effect your scores.
Right, but it wouldn't be DA unless you de-cocked the hammer... which begs the next question, why would you?

·
Registered
319 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a dumb ass..

I have been researching the fnp 45 and see that some come with a safety and can be carried cocked and locked.

This is where I am square peggin the whole concept.
The only auto I have had was a Glock 17.

So if I am understanding this.. cocked and locked is hammer back, safety on? Flip the switch and ready to go?

After cocked if ya hit the decocker it is back to DA/SA mode

The local fun store is an FNH dealer and I am going to place an order for the USG with night sights.

I dunno what it is but I can't get it out of my head.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts