FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my local gun shop today he had 2 NIB FNPs. Both were 9mm. One had 10 mags and its serial number had 2 alpha characters in it. The other had 16 round mags and 3 alpha characters in the SN.

The slides on these guns were slightly different. The alide with the hi-caps was contoured a little narrower at the top along its length and as a result the cocking serrations were only half the height of the slide.

Being new to FNs, is this one a newer model??

·
Registered
203 Posts
Did the one you suspect to be older have plain stainless hardware (De-cocking lever, hammer ect...) or was it all black.

One more thing, did the suspected older one have a hammer? I could see how the older fortynine pistols could sometimes be confused with an FNP. The fortynines were true double action striker fired pistols so there would be no hammer on them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The alide with the hi-caps was contoured a little narrower at the top along its length and as a result the cocking serrations were only half the height of the slide.
Are you sure that the gun with the cocking serrations only half the heighth of the slide wasn't the Five-Seven? Check out the picture of a Five-Seven at the top of the page. That's how the cocking serrations are on the Five-Seven. Completely different gun from the FNP. Shoots a 5.7 mm round that is proprietary to FN Herstal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The "older" one had stainless controls on it, while the "newer" one was all black. Both had a hammer and a DA/SA trigger with a decocker.

They both were labeled "FNP (" on the slide.

When I go back to the gun shop, I will ask to see the boxes and note the product number, assuming FN prints a label with a product number on the box.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On the FN web it shows a 10 round and a 16 round listing. The 10 round gun is for states that have laws on limited round guns.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ted1Trading said:
The "older" one had stainless controls on it, while the "newer" one was all black. Both had a hammer and a DA/SA trigger with a decocker.

They both were labeled "FNP (" on the slide.

When I go back to the gun shop, I will ask to see the boxes and note the product number, assuming FN prints a label with a product number on the box.
Then that in fact was one of the first FNP's. The slides I believe were a little different. I also think there was something about the de-cocker on the slide as well. Saying something like, "Not a safety, Decocker only!" I'm sure glad they did away with that. If a person cant figure out and understand the controls on a firearm, they probably shouldn't be handling them.

Manufactures shouldn't have to put warnings all over everything. Its a firearm. It sustains a controlled explosion. Of course its dangerous.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Would that older gun be a collector piece?

·
Registered
203 Posts
The first FNP's had plain stainless hardware. I believe some people considered them to be kind of cheap referring to them as "Toaster Parts"

I think the slides are the same as they are now, they just had a tad different contour and markings. I'm sure they would swap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a pic..

From the picture thread right here on this forum:

Notice the different slide contours on the top two guns. This is what I am talking about.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Funny, those are mine. I can tell you that the one on the left is 9mm and the one on the right is .40 S&W. But the one difference is age. The .40 is dated November of 2005. The 9mm is dated March of 2006.

From what I can tell the .40's are still cut kind of shallow, while the 9mm's have the deeper cut. FN might have started cutting the slides deeper on the 9mm's to reduce a little but of weight, or because by accident someone adjusted the tool in too far that cuts that groove into the slide and it looked cool, so they ran with it. You never know. But if both of those guns are in fact 9mm, then at some point they started cutting the slides deeper.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, Both are 9mm. Interested, the Browning Pro-9 also has the newer slide contour. The whoe gun looks identical to the FN. Did FN buy the rights to it from Browning??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts