FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for you gents, and it concerns the take down of the FNP-40 pistol. In the field stripping section of the manual on p. 30, after following the section 4.8 stuff, you are supposed to lock back the slide and proceed with the take down.

My question is this: the manual shows an image of the magazine left in the well during the take down procedure. Is this something you all normally do? With any pistol I have ever owned the procedure is to remove the magazine and then strip the pistol. This is what I have been doing until I saw the photo in the manual. Amazingly enough, the illustration on p.31 shows a disassembled pistol WITH the magazine REMOVED. Any thoughts? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
It doesn't matter. Whatever floats you boat. There's no reason to leave an empty mag in other than to lock the slide back if you find it hard to manually lock it back.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I have owned a fair number of pistols over the years, and had never seen this before. I will just continue to eject the magazine before take down as that is the manual of arms I am used to!

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
IMOHO,
removing the magazine prior to filed stripping is part of the weapon clearing drill for safety.

djv38 explains the constructive use of leaving the mag in to lock the slide back. All good, but once the slide is locked to the rear, the mag should still be removed.

Also if a person has trouble with this function, mabe it's the wrong weapon for them, there may be other underlying issues with usage as well.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
First Sergeant said:
IMOHO,
removing the magazine prior to filed stripping is part of the weapon clearing drill for safety.

djv38 explains the constructive use of leaving the mag in to lock the slide back. All good, but once the slide is locked to the rear, the mag should still be removed.

Also if a person has trouble with this function, mabe it's the wrong weapon for them, there may be other underlying issues with usage as well.
I agree with First Sgt. You should always drop the mag.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It shows a pic with the mag in the gun in the .45 manual also.
It's just a representation. The guy that took the pics probably worked for Glock in the past. :-D
As per manual
Step 1. decock if needed.
Step 2. drop mag.
bla,bla,bla

·
Registered
490 Posts
jasestrong said:
First Sergeant said:
IMOHO,

I agree with First Sgt. You should always drop the mag.
+1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts