FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an FNP-9 and FNP-40. I have shot many rounds through the .40 but haven't shot the 9mm yet.

I am new here so I have not heard of this trigger unit problem that has been discussed until now.

I have viewed several previous threads concerning this matter and have looked at the pics posted. I think I am blind! I just cannot see this notch or the problem area on the faulty unit.

Can someone post these side by side comparison pics with a line drawn around the problem area so that all of us can know if we might have the faulty unit or not? I need a pic with the exact area pointed out.

I just cannot see it and it seems a few others out here can't either. I love the way the .40 shoots and have made it my carry handgun but I want to know if I should expect any future issues.

Seems to me that FN should have stepped up and issued a recall on all serial numbered handguns in a certain range that might be effected instead of the user waiting for it to break.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you'll check page 2 of the "Identification help, please"thread below, B52U put red ring around "notch". It's so small it's hard to see if you don't know what to look for. The one that broke was wider. Sorry for my poor photo skills. :oops:

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
If your looking at the fire control housing and the muzzle of the pistol is away from you, look on the right side of the housing. If the sear is flush with the housing, your fine.

Here's a picture of my correct one. If yours looks any different, you might have a bad one.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Here's a picture of my correct one. If yours looks any different, you might have a bad one.
"Might have a bad one" is the key phrase here. Although they redesigned this part, I haven't heard of any with the small notch breaking including mine and forestranger's. The earlier long notch ones (some had a discolored strange textured polymer as well) were the culprits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Both my .40 and 9mm have the small notch version. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens in the long run.

Hopefully just the larger notch versions gave problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought mine yesterday and it was test fired on 2/12/07 and it has the small notch. I just finished emailing pictures and a question to FN about coverage on it.

I asked them if I should wait to see if it shows signs of cracking or if they are being preemptive on fixing the issue before it may or may not become a issue.

I will post into this thread their answer. I figured I would go ahead and ask them so if the time comes I'll already know what to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I was looking through the forum's archives and found the big 5 page thread about the cracking and saw the pictures and seems a lot of the people with this issue have .40 with S/N# Group 61CMT Which is what mine is and its form the same test fire time period. :cry:
I had emailed FN but I think I'll just call them tomorrow, with my luck it will crack on the first shot... I'm awesome like that.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
have .40 with S/N# Group 61CMT Which is what mine is and its form the same test fire time period.
It's still likely that you won't have a problem because the serial numbers on your frame don't necessarily correspond to the Fire control group housing as they are not manufactured at the same time and are separate serialized parts from what I have read. Mine was test fired around that time also and I've never had an issue.

If it worries you, keep working with Customer Service and maybe they will replace it for you. If they don't, shoot and enjoy. I was quite worried about mine when I first purchased it as well, but after 900 rounds without a hiccup I'm convinced I'm good to go. In the unlikely event that it breaks tomorrow I"ll know they'll take care of it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
From what I have heard (from FN Bob, I called about something else) if you have a bad one it will probably crack in the first 50-100 rounds. This isn't a problem that lurks for years. My FNP40 is a 61CMR serial number but has a Dec 07 test fire date. The CMR would seem to be an earlier serial number but mine has the newer fire control unit with the smoother finish and no notch, so I don't think serial number is an indicator. I would suspect that FN refit any that had not been shipped before they went out of the warehouse.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Word was that only about 400 guns were effected - that was FN's claim, as reported by someone who had called. So, not ALL the guns from a time period had the issue

·
Registered
9 Posts
well,
I may hit the range this week then. I'll run a cheap (Wal-Mart Winchester) box ammunition through it maybe do 100rounds and then check it out and see what it looks like.

I still need to do the recommended First clean before shooting it the first time.

I would feel back calling and freaking out on them if it doesnt have the problem at all anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts