FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 45 yesterday, gave it a quick cleaning and inspection, and off to the range. I took my 9mm with to do a comparison.

Both are DA/SA decockers. In general, the guns are quite similar. Fit and finish are the same, controls and function are slightly different in layout but operation is the same. The decocker is larger and made of plastic on the 45 and functioned easily. The one negative about the 45 is the slide release, it is small and hard to work with the thumb. The decocker is in the way of the thumb, making it even harder to operate the small control. The teardrop shaped mag release is positioned nicely and the mags dropped free without any resistance.

Field stripping is identical and as easy as the 9mm. I was pleased to see the guide rod was made of steel, not that the plastic one ever gave me trouble in the 9mm. The back straps require a 1/16” punch to be inserted into a tiny hole in order to swap them out. It works alright and there is no screw to loose. After a few tries I settled on the flat one, as I did a couple years ago with the 9mm.

In the hand, they feel about the same, the 45 is slightly larger but not as much as expected. The width of the grip is nearly identical, the 45's grip is almost an inch longer, but that's more of a carry issue than a shooting one. The most notable difference is the weight, the 45 is much heavier when fully loaded compared to the 9mm.

For my first outing I kept it simple, using 230gr. FMJ in WWB and S&B. For comparison, I used WWB 115gr. FMJ in the 9mm. The recoil on the 45 was surprisingly tame, probably due the the extra weight. It actually felt better in the hand as it didn't have the snappiness of the 9mm. Accuracy was excellent, far surpassing my ability. Function was flawless, as I have come to expect with my FNP9. I had an acquaintance give it a try, he was more accurate than I was and gave the gun a good looking over, kind of like he was shopping. We may have another FN'er in our midst.

All in all, I am VERY happy with my purchase.

Some pics............

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Nice comparison. I would never be able to conceal a 45. Having a fairly slight frame, I have enough trouble with concealing any handgun. The 45 would be awesome for open carry, home defense, LEO/Military use however. I am pretty surprised that it isn't that much larger than the 9, other than grip length. The frame looks only slightly fatter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other thing that stood out.....It is HARD to get those last couple of rounds into the mags. I expect it to get easier with time but wow it's tough for now.

Happy Shooting :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Excellent review. The pics are nice as well. :?

·
Registered
35 Posts
OMG! The FNP-45 is HUEG!

No way I could hide that on my frame...unless I wore a coat 2 sizes too big. Patiently awaiting an answer to this month's FNH Q&A question 3 - FNP-45M.

Thanks for the pictures and review!

Drew

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone looking for a concealed weapon should not be looking at the FNP45. I'm sure it was designed as a duty weapon. Even if they came out with a 45M that had shorter barrel and grip, you would still have one of the fattest 45s out there. I don't think any double stack 45 is a good choice for CCW.

I plan to use it in competition and as a home protection weapon. I'm in the process of designing a competition holster for it. I'll probably build a duty type holster for it as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts