FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you tell me if this has happened to any one else..... I took my 45 for its first range trip and the winchester practice rounds will not load into the mags every 2 or 3 bullets gets jammed in to mag and wont feed or jams.. this really pissed me off comsidering to took 2 hours to fire 100 rounds... It is like the FMJ is to long for the mag because every hollow point feed and loaded perfect.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
There has been a couple of other people that have had similar issues with WWB and the FNP 45 in the past few weeks.

·
Banned
93 Posts
Seems to be a rash of somewhat defective .45 WWB going around. I think the verdict is the cases are slightly tapered towards the front causing improper stacking in the FNP's magazine.

However... and I don't mean to be hard on FN, but I speak the truth...

I gave the remaining box of "whacky" WWB .45 to a fellow range goer with a HK USP Compact .45 who was happy to recieve about 70 rounds of free ammo. This is the same box which was the subject of my thread here http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=10268&highlight=

He fired the rest of the box without incident. The USPc loaded. fed and fired ammo the FNP wouldn't.

I would never carry WWB, and you should always test your carry ammo, so this is really not much of an issue in a self defense prespective. I have since switched to Blazer Brass for shooting my FNP-45 at the range and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took my new FNP-45 USG out to the range today for the 1st time and ran over a 180 rounds of Wincester target rounds through it with 2 FTF (happened on two different magazines with around 5 to 8 rounds left) and this was also the first and second magazine that had ever been fired through this gun.

I also experienced 3 times when I inserted a new magazine that the new magazine didn't engage correctly to get the rail to close (I am new to handguns so forgive me if I am using the wrong names to describe).

I agree with someone on another thread here that I wonder if it more of a Wincester issue with QC. The WWB that I picked up was last week and Walmart had just got it in the night before.

After seeing some of the discussions on this board I was extremely concerned about having issues but currently Walmart is the only place locally I can find 45 ammo. However, after today I don't think that was too bad and as I ran more rounds through the gun the better it performed.

As for my first trip out I loved it. I have not fired a handgun in over 18 years and it was a blast. The gun performed well and was really fun to shoot. As for accuracy, I think the gun will be fine once the shooter practices a lot more.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It could be a bad batch of ammo or just getting the weapon broken in. Mine wouldn't feed blazer reliably when I first got it, and it still had problems with Rem UMC. But last week (after about 150 rds. total) I put another 100 rds of WWB from Wal Mart through mine without a single hiccup.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This may put the "kabash" on the thinking that this problem is due to a recently-produced bad batch of WWB: the ones I used had been sitting on my shelf for around two years.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Well, I maintain that I haven't had any problems with any of the ammo brands I've tried yet, even though I've only ran 200 rounds through it. Not a single failure to feed, fire, or eject with WWB, Winchester SilverTip, Remington UMC, or Blazer Brass.

I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I will call winchester customer service and tell them to fix this problem or i will never buy a winchester product agian, because now i have a 100 round box of WWB that i dont want to attempt to load. 8)

·
Banned
93 Posts
jrh3 said:
I think I will call winchester customer service and tell them to fix this problem or i will never buy a winchester product agian, because now i have a 100 round box of WWB that i dont want to attempt to load. 8)
While I'd love to boycot WWB right along with you, feeding the UZI SMG with anything else would just about put my uncle in the poor house. :?

If you don't have another .45, do what I did and give it to a fellow range goer with a .45. You make quick friends handing out free ammo, and it's interesting to see if it will load/fire in a different handgun. Or you could rent a gun at the range that allows you to use your own ammo and see how that works.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like I have to get another .45, I have been looking at a Para Warthog double stack for 550 bucks from a buddy. :shock:

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'd like to revisit this for a moment. I was near Walmart tonight and decided to stop in to see what they had in stock. Despite the reported problems, I went ahead and picked up a box of 50 WWB round along with a box of Blazer Brass.

I pulled out my one unloaded 14 round mag and my upLula and proceeded to load all fourteen rounds of WWB from the new box without a problem. Of course, I haven't fired any from this box, but I see no reason that they wouldn't feed properly. I will let everyone know for sure when I send them down range.

·
Registered
41 Posts
raggededge said:
I'd like to revisit this for a moment. I was near Walmart tonight and decided to stop in to see what they had in stock. Despite the reported problems, I went ahead and picked up a box of 50 WWB round along with a box of Blazer Brass.

I pulled out my one unloaded 14 round mag and my upLula and proceeded to load all fourteen rounds of WWB from the new box without a problem. Of course, I haven't fired any from this box, but I see no reason that they wouldn't feed properly. I will let everyone know for sure when I send them down range.
If they loaded without issue they will likely shoot that way, too. Seems most everyone who's has a problem with WWB has noticed it upon loading the mags.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yeah, as I've said before, I've already had a couple mags of WWB through this gun without a problem. I was starting to wonder if maybe I got an old batch the first time and the problem was with newer ammo or what, so I bought another box.

I feel sorry for you guys having problems. I'd be pissed if I couldn't use WWB.

·
Registered
41 Posts
raggededge said:
Yeah, as I've said before, I've already had a couple mags of WWB through this gun without a problem. I was starting to wonder if maybe I got an old batch the first time and the problem was with newer ammo or what, so I bought another box.

I feel sorry for you guys having problems. I'd be pissed if I couldn't use WWB.
My problems were with WWB that was 2 years old. I assume that most people reporting problems are having it with new ammo, so it doesn't seem to be a bad batch or anything like that.

It really doesn't matter to me as I only shoot my handloads, but it's a curious thing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am just wondering if anyone has looked into the specs of their problem ammo? I know loads are loads and they should be the same across the board for that ammo size/bullet type, but there could be a seat/bullet difference that is making the problem happen.

I haven't tried WWB, but I have put in Fiocchi 230 fmj ($20 per 50, from a gun shop, I am sure a cheaper price can be found) and Gold-Dots HPs in my 45 with 0 problems loading and firing. Also I am able to load to the full 14 rounds without using a tool to help... The .45 mag is so large at its opening, it just easier for me to use my index finger and start pushing down on number 10 and keep going that way until full, but I am sure a tool to help would be faster and more enjoyable.

I do have the "rattle" problem that has been talked about (14 and or 13 bullet is making the sound), but, weird, only in one mag out of the 3. And this problem mag is the one that was loaded in the gun for shipping. Makes me wonder if something is up with just the mags that are in the gun when received, because the other 2 mags do not give me a rattle. I have done "everything" to fix the problem, it for sure a "cocked" follower when fully loaded, but no problems feeding the gun, she loads #1 just as well as #14 (note to self, talk about this in the other thread :Blah: )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts