FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new FNP 45 last Wednesday I noticed something that could develop into a problem, at least with my gun anyway, after cleaning it I took off the slide again and saw that the recoil spring was half way out of the groove instead of being fully into the groove on the barrel lug. I put it back in place, put the slide back on the frame then took it off again and it was again only half in the groove. I wiped the area in case there was oil on it but that didn't fix it. Should I use lock-tight to fix it?

I plan to call FN Monday.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I called FN today and the tech guy said that the recoil spring being not fully in the barrel lug groove is normal. After I get the mag loader and before I go to the range I plan to call FN again to be on the safe side incase the guy misunderstood my question.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Yes- most guns do this - once you put the gun back together and work the actiont, the seating of the spring can change a bit. However - it's still enclosed by the frame and slide.

So, don't locktite it anyplace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, I definately would not loc-tite the recoil spring, and it is normal for it to slide out from the barrel a little bit when you take the slide off. I believe the reason this happens is because the recoil spring is located on the little half bump on the take down lever. So after you put the slide on the gun, the hole in the end of the recoil spring is seated around that little half bump, this is what retains the recoil spring in the gun, not the front of the barrel lug.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Called FN again this time I talked to Bob, and he said part of the recoil spring ends up being half on the frame and thats why when I take the slide off the recoil spring is half off the groove. Thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts