FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellows-

My FNP9 is my first polymer handgun (former Beretta enthusiast!) and I am discovering some accuracy differences between the two firearms. I know I am the big variable, but I wondered how long it takes to adjust between steel and poly....

Some days my groups are great, some days I am doing well to hit the paper at 10 yards, with the same ammo, same mags....

Frustrated in Oklahoma-

Shootemup

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Ya know - some days we all have good days, and some days we have bad days. I shoot the best with my Walther p99 over any other handgun. It took me years to find this gun. But, I still have better days than others.

Last summer, when doing a postal match, I made a score of 49 out of 50. Haven't done it since. Came close - but never again.

So, I take what I can get - I feel that if I throw enough lead downrange long enough, enough of it will land nicely on 1 target in particular :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously - each gun is a little different. I place my finger on the trigger slightly differently depending on what gun I am shooting. I also shoot with the 1st finger of my left hand on the outside of the trigger guard. This steadies me. But, for ONE gun (my HK USPc), I can't do this. Something about this 1 gun.

Sounds like you haven't had it long enough to experiment with it. It took me about 1000 rounds to be satisfied with my performance on that USPc, yet when I used to own a fullsize USP, I didn't have that issue.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Just my opinion, (it's worth what you paid for it :D )

We all have good days and bad days. Practice and finding the right ammo for that gun will improve your groups. Try switching ammo, and do lots of dry firing to get your hand used to that grip. Get a snap cap if you want to make sure you are not hurting the gun while dry firing. I would rather have your FNP9 than the Glock 17 or the XD9 I have, and I like these two guns. Give it some time.

TA

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Yes, the FNP is a good gun. If I didn't already have so many polymer 9mms and a lack of money, I'd buy one :p - I'd take one over a Glock and XD too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know That I'm going to the Oklahoma Public Lands shooting range at Pawnee Lake State Park, in about the second or third week of June, With my FNP9M and FN Tactical Police Shotgun. Keep watching this thread and maybe I can give you some help. Pawnee Lake isn't very far from Sand Springs.

I'd go shooting there sooner, But I'm leaving Thursday to go help my girl friend move down to Stillwater OK from Illinois and won't be back in OK, till around June 6.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the encouragement

Thanks, guys- I'll keep working on it. Went to the range this evening after work and burned a quick 100 rounds. I changed to the large backstrap (again) and liked it better. I was more consistent today, but the funny thing is that my last 20 rounds or so were shot at clay targets at 25 yards, and I was much more accurate than I was at 10 yards. Seemed easier to hit those clays than the 4 inch circle at 10 yards....

Keep me posted Evo for when you get back around- shot me a pm and we'll definatle throw some lead!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I always liked the FNP and its a great price as well...so I bought one. I owned a number of HK's , sigs, walthers p99 & P5, Berretta's, SW's, Colt's but never had 1911....well anyways, the FNP 9 offers me the least amount of accuracy from any of the above guns I have fired. I think I'm a decent shot too. My HK USP45 was a jewel to hit targets with from close to far. I think my P99 Walther offered the highest amount of accuracy from any handgun I fired. It was just a nice gun when you got used to the 3 stage trigger. I had one of the first ones on the market.

So....

It does take learning the weapon for sure, and the sight picture for shot placement as well as grip pressure and control. But I'm like you with the FNP 9 it's off and on. So is it us or the gun? Well I know we can learn to shoot it better but I had no other issues like this with the other hanguns I owened above. Funny thing is that the FNP fit's great in the hand, trigger is on of the best out of the box triggers I have ever felt on a plastic gun. Just an odd thing to me. If I had to make a critical shot placement to save my ass...I would be very uncomfortable pulling the trigger unless my target was right in front of me.

YMMV

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Yes, the P99 is my fav gun and most accurate gun "for me" that I have ever shot.

Now - I have 2000 rounds thru my UPSc. It took me over 1000 to stop shooting low with it, and I have this issue with no other guns. Sometimes ya just gotta keep at it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Yes, the P99 is my fav gun and most accurate gun "for me" that I have ever shot.

Now - I have 2000 rounds thru my UPSc. It took me over 1000 to stop shooting low with it, and I have this issue with no other guns. Sometimes ya just gotta keep at it.

Agreed....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, since it's a whole lot of fun to shoot, so I won't have any problems working up the desire to shoot it.

Paying for cartriges.... now, that's another story.

Speaking of.... what have you found to be the most accuarate cartrige for your FNP9's?

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you want decent and cheaper practice ammo I would use S&B...so far I have not found real accurate FNP ammo yet :cry: Great ammo for MP5's too, pretty clean stuff.

·
Registered
268 Posts
As much as I love my FNP9-M, I've noticed it's not as accurate as my 3913 LS. I love the pistol, don't get me wrong, and it'll do its job, but I just don't feel it has the accuracy as some of the other mainstream autoloaders. The barrel on it also seems a little bit loose in tolerances, I don't think bullets engage the rifling very well on it, at least not as well as my S&W. Still though, it's my go-to gun.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well, I would by no means call the pistol inaccurate, at least not in my hands. I'm just saying it doesn't shoot as well as a tighter spec'd gun or the Glock 34 I used to have. At 25 yards you can still hit coke cans and bottles consistently.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, sight radius cn also play into this too. I tend to shoot worse at longer distances with guns that are less than 4" long (barrel length). BUt, some guns don't make optimum use of the space at the top of the slide.

That's one reason I like the P99 so much. The distance between the 2 sights is the same as the fullsize USP with a longer barrel.

I always do better with a longer sight radius.

I suck at 15 yards with my USPc - but do well enough at 7 yards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Accuracy

I shot my new FNP-9 last weekend along side my G19. I like 'em both. I think the trigger practice I needed to do with the G19 helped because I felt I was just as accurate with either gun. It's all in the finger; trigger finger that is.. :-x

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update on accuracy

I tried a different approach to my initial grip, placing the backstrap a little more in the web of my hand, a little further off the base of my index finger. Lo and behold, the pushing to the left improved dramatically. This does, however, leave my left thumb (on my support hand) a little out of place.

More practice will tell.... but I sure feel better about my sweet FNP9.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Re: update on accuracy

shootemup said:
I tried a different approach to my initial grip, placing the backstrap a little more in the web of my hand, a little further off the base of my index finger. Lo and behold, the pushing to the left improved dramatically. This does, however, leave my left thumb (on my support hand) a little out of place.

More practice will tell.... but I sure feel better about my sweet FNP9.
Glad to hear that you are slowly getting there :idea: :idea: :idea:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Has anyone tried Hornady TAP ammo in their FNP? I've got a couple boxes (uses the XTP hollowpoint), and it seems like it will actually engage the rifling pretty well. Should also help with velocity, though I've never chrono'd mine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
practice makes perfect.......

back to the range tonight after church with 100 cheeeaaaaappppp rounds purchased from a local gun store- all CCI FMJ stuff, but no box, wrapped in plastic and taped together. Kinda strange......

Anyway, my FNP likes those rounds! Using my new grip and trigger approach, I was able to keep all rounds inside a 5" circle on targets set at 10 yards, rapid fire. When I took my time to really see the front sight, I could keep about a 2.5 inch group at 10 yards.

Significant improvement in shooting, but I don't want to use those rounds as my carry rounds.

A good time was had by all!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts