FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets see some of these puppies - U guys that own them.

I am tempted to get 1 eventually. I dry fired one once, and it had the smoothest DA pull out of any DA/SA (with an external hammer) I've ever tried.

Looks like a sweet pistol...

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think they are cool little 9mms :)

If I wasn't already fixed up so good for polymer 9mms, I'd buy one for sure. Although, I hear the Browning version allows for cocked and locked, so I might pick that one up over the FNP.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm still deciding if I want to get rid of my CZ 75 D PCR to go to the FNP-9.

I really don't shoot 9mm all that much as I prefer calibers that begin with the number "4", but the nine has come a long way in the last 20 years. You certainly cannot say it is a "wimpy" round these days, what with all the advancements in bullet design that have taken place.

I have handled the FNP-9 at a local store and like it. In fact it was that experience that led me to purchase my FNP-40. In a way I would like to change out my CZ for the FN, as it would give me the same manual of arms for all my autoloaders. I'll wait and see how long the FNP-45 takes to get to market.

:lol:

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I switched from a mixture of 45 and 9mm to all 9mm - ammo cost was killing me. I am satisfied with the performance of the 9mm round.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am tempted by the 9mm, but since ammo prices have moved up so much, reloading other cartridges works out well economically.

My favorite 9mm is the 9x23mm Winchester, which definitely requires hand loading.

I seem to have been cursed with a desire for odd cartridges.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My FFL guy called yesterday morning bright and early, to tell me the FN FNP9M Compact that I had ordered off of Gunbroker.com last week had arrived. I had picked it up NIB, off of one of Ray Tanner's auctions for the buy it now price of $375.00. Tanner's answered my E-mail and Ray Jr, whom I spoke to on the phone was very helpful and professional in arranging payment and shipping. The transaction was fast and flawless.

I was almost sure I was going to get a background check delay after the recent Virgina Tech shooting, but was pleasantly surprised when the transfer went off without a hitch, on the initial background check call. (Guess it pays to hit them early in the morning.)

Having not owned a 9mm since 2001. The first thing I had to do was run over to Wal-mart and pick up some cheap fodder. I bought 300 hundred rounds of Remington UMC 115 GR. JHP for $60.00. Not enough for extensive "will it feed everything" testing, but hey it's what I could afford after just buying a new pistol.

Now on to what you really want to know about...The FNP9M.

You guys will have to forgive my crappy digicam. What I wanted to show you, was the actual size of the grip in relation to an average sized hand. Something you just can't get from most of the pics of the gun, on the internet.

The Picture was taken with the magazine out, and the mag does add just a bit to the length of the grip. Because I realize that the bottom line for most of us is "How the FNP9M feels, handles, presents and points.

I also took the pic with the Flat backstrap on. Which is another thing you don't see to much in the promo pics.

First impressions.

When you first pick the FNP9M up, it for all the world reminds me of the Sig 229 or 226 series, with a slightly shorter grip. For all of you wondering how FNH put 15 rounds in a grip that short. the answer is of course....the grip is thick. (At least for a guy whose used to dealing with Hi-power's and S&W 99's.) (Think glock 30 with the finger rest magazine plate, THICK.)

The checkering molded into the front and back straps is very aggressive. Much more aggressive than pictures do justice to. The good news is your never going to loose your grip on this pistol, if your hands are wet with mud, sweat, blood or 10W40. The bad news is its about like holding and pointing a cheese grater. Especially with your pinky finger riding the lip of the magazine. It's manageable, but not comfortable and about what one would expect from a compact CCW pistol with a 15 shot mag, in that short of a grip.

I've tried the pistol with both grip panels and have finally decided, that I like the flat panel better than the curved one, that comes on the gun out of the box. The flat panel is REALLY, REALLY FLAT guys. As in no swell at all...Its just flat and gives the grip a very slab like feel, with no swell into the bottom of the palm, just below the firing hand at all. That being said. The flat panel makes the thick grip much more manageable and makes a slight difference as to the print of the piece when carrying concealed. Which is one place this pistol shines. Despite the thickness of the grip. The length is just about right to disappear when worn in an inside the waist band holster, either strong side or SOB. It's what the compact grip was designed to do and it does it very well.

Comfort is a relative term when dealing with CCW pistols and I'm willing to give up a little comfort in the grip, for being able to carry the full 15 rounds of 9mm in a highly reliable package.

The full 15 rounds brings me to one of the high points of the FNP9M...The Magazines

The magazines are Polished Stainless. Very thick and heavy construction. They just feel solid. The second you pick one up.

the visual loading holes on the back of the magazine are large and numbered at the 5, 10, 13 and 15 and are very easy to visualize. My mags are marked "Restricted Law Enforcement / Government Use Only FN Manufacturing Inc. Columbia SC with the part # 9141994 with 9mm printed on the front of the mag.

The magazine spring is coated with a red protective paint. The base plate is solid and well constructed (though on this, the compact model, FN would do well to offer a pinky groove base plate, like the one on the H&K USP Compact, as an optional magazine base plate. This pistol screams for one.) With the thick stainless construction. These mag bodies should last longer than nuclear waste and I would not bet against my stepson, who is now four, using them when he's an adult.

The mags fall freely from the pistol with a push of the mag release.

The FN also comes with three of these excellent magazines from the factory. Something almost unheard of in the pistol world. (I think I'll be buying four more 15 round magazines for for this pistol while I still can.)

The mag release is reversible, but there are no instructions on how to do so in the FN users manual, that comes with the pistol. Anybody with the factory instructions, on how to reverse the mag catch please post them, as the Fivesevenforums are possibly down for the count and thats the last place I saw them. Should have copied them right then, but who knew they were going to go tits up as a forum the day I bought an FNP?

I had read lots of horror stories about the FNP's decock lever and am happy to note, that I had no problems with it what-so-ever. Many shootes have complained that during the recoil cycle their thumb rides the decock and inadvertently decocks the weapon. I've always used a low hand grip, with my thumb tucked under the thumb of the offhand anyway. So it was a total non issue. The decocker drops the hammer solidly and handily into half cock. I had no issues with it being bare metal, but then again I'm used to older model Hi-powers and 1911's. So YMMV.

The accessory rail is solid and the overall feel of the entire polymer frame is much more solid than many of the other polymer pistols in this class, with little flex. All the molding looks great, except for a tiny bit of flash on the interior of the slide, where the serial number plate has been secured to the inside of the frame. easily shaved off with an Exacto knife.

The trigger is very smooth, A little creep and click as it goes though the half cock stage in D/A then a very smooth, if somewhat heavy pull till it breaks. The S/A is totally smooth ride till it breaks. No take up before the S/A breaks...it just goes. I didn't shoot from a bench for accuracy yesterday, but had no problems putting three to five shot strings into center mass before the first casing hit the ground.

Now to the slide...

I can't tell you how clean the machine work is on the slide. It is CNC perfection. Easily as clean as anything you'd see come out of H&K or Sig.

The ejector claw is massive on the inside. far larger internally than you would think looking at the outside of the slide. FN apparently wanted to make darned sure they got a good grip on the case rim surface.

The Machine work on the barrel is also flawless, though the gun had obviously been packaged right after the test round was fired, and as with all my semi-auto pistols. The feed ramps going to get a polishing with the Jewelers Rouge and Dremel tool.

The recoil rod and spring are a captured affair, with a metal rod. I have not done the freezer magnet test to determine whether or not I have the Aluminum rod or the steel one. I've heard that FN went to a steel rod, because the aluminum ones were showing some wear and a couple of people had complained about them. but I'm not certain of that. Regardless of that, mine showed no marks or scratches after devouring 200 rounds of 115 Gr. The spring comes from the factory covered in orange protective paint and the only wear I could see, after 200 rounds, was little annoying flecks of orange paint from the spring in the bottom of the frame.

Take down is simple and Sig like. Pull the slide back, Turn the lever, pull the slide off. Disassemble as necessary. to reassemble reverse the process.

The main slide rails, just atop the take down lever, are not molded into the frame, but rather a stainless steel tub held firmly in place by the massive cross frame bar of the take down lever.. The rails are very securly in place and the gun feels very solid when you shake it from side to side with little movement or "rattle".

The sights are a pretty standard three dot set up, that while serviceable, will soon be replaced with the Ameriglo standard equipment tritium night sights. I'd like to find a set of the yellow rear/green front ones, that Ameriglo is out of, but I understand these are hard to find and I may have to settle for just green front/green rear.

Now...How did it shoot?

I know that 200 rounds of one brand and weight of ammunition, is hardly a break in, much less a test, but it's what I had to work with.

The FNP9M fired every round without any malfunction at all. I didn't measure the groups, but they seemed entirely adequate for a self defense compact and overall better than I expected.

Head shots at around 15 and 25 feet were no problem. In rapid fire the FNP9M was very controllable and a joy to shoot. As I had stated earlier, putting strings of three and five shots into center mass with no problems.

Overall Impression...

I like this pistol for it's intended purpose.

Don't let the things I have said about it's flaws fool you. I don't work for a gun rag, So I tend to tell you the good, the bad and the ugly.

The bottom line is...It's a $650.00 self defense compact with a $375.00 price tag, that eats Glock 19's and springfield XD's for breakfast and is easily in the same quality of workmanship range as the H&K USP or Sig 229.

I'm fixing to do a lot of traveling and moving in the next couple of months and I wanted a good pistol to carry CCW,in a pack, or computer case.

I'm definitely going to keep this pistol to perform that role and expect to have and carry it for many years.

I like it well enough, that I'm very seriously considering picking up one of the full sized .40's

·
Registered
75 Posts
OK Shipwreck....I posted a reveiw...Now will somebody please post the instructions for switching the mag release to strongside.

:)

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Evo.

Can U copy that post and post it into a new thread with the review :)

Make it easier for new people to find.

Thanks!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Thanks for the great review!

I have considered getting the "M" but was unsure about the grip length, you have cleared a lot of my questions up. Could you post a photo with the magazine in place?

I own an FNP-40 and am thinking about getting it's little brother, so I can keep my manual of arms the same. My current nine is a CZ 75 PCR, but I may just have to sell it and go for the 9M.

I'd say go for the 40 if you are thinking about one. Mine has become my "go-to" weapon for home protection. It handles every hollowpoint I have ever tried without fail, is accurate, and has lower felt recoil than any other 40 that I tried.

Do remember that the FNP-45 is lurking out there somewhere as well...

·
Registered
15 Posts
What' sort of horror stories involving the safety decocker?

I just bought an FNP9 about a week ago. Still need to get to the range with it. Seems to be your basic meat & potatoes pistol. Nice and solid. Should work out just fine.

My dealer owes me a mag, though. Apparently, my particular gun (the only FNP9 in the shop at the time) shipped with 2 16 rounders and 1 FNP9m mag. :x So they sent the 15 rounder back for replacement and are supposed to contact me when my mag arrives. I'll give it a few more days then I'll get on the owner's back about it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Welcome to the FNP forum Javi. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm a former S&W 99/.40 guy....It amazes me how many 99 guys we have here in the FNP forums. It's almost as if 99 ownership is the prequisite for FNP ownership. I loved my 99...Just the strange things one notices.

:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
First off, great forum! As I've just bought this for my wife earlier this year, I'm glad to find so much info on these pistols. I know this post is a little old, but since this is my first time visiting, I hope you don't mind if I revive it. This is my first polymer pistol and overall, I'm very pleased with it. My wife's a big Browning fan so that is why we got the "Browning" labeled one instead of the FN.

Evopsych's review pretty much sums things up so I won't duplicate it. I've only put a little over 200 rounds through it and my wife has put maybe 100 rounds through it so we still need to get better acquainted with it.

I like the fact that on this one, you can carry it cocked and locked. I carry a 1911 and that's what I'm used to. I did find myself going from low ready with the safety on and actually decocking the gun as I was bringing it up at the range. This kept throwing me off as I'm not used to a pistol with DA pull. This is an outdoor range so I'm fortunate to have a little more freedom to do things like this. Resolving this will just take practice on my part but as it's really not my gun, it's not that big of a deal. I do wish the safety/decocker lever was a little bigger but my wife doesn't seem to have any issues with it.

Accuracy wise, I was impressed. My wife's first shot when new was dead center in the X-ring! Then she started anticipating the recoil and the shot's started going low LOL! She finally got back on track and did a great job. I put the Insight M6 on it for her as it's primarily a home gun and she absolutely LOVES it! Once we got it sighted in, I was extremely impressed with what she was able to do with it. It was a real confidence booster for her as well.

As far as the regular sights go, they're decent buy I'd like to put a set of night sights on it. I found that I wasn't use to how low they were and my accuracy was suffering due to improper sight picture. Once I did my part, the gun did great. Although not as accurate as my Kimber, I was still making all headshots with the entire magazine at 10-12 yards with semi-rapid fire. At 7 yards and semi-slow fire, I could make a majority of them into one ragged hole. I'm sure this gun will do much better than what I'm capable of. I'm not a great "Pistolero" but I am getting better :-D ! One thing I did notice is that it does great at point shooting and shooting from a low retention position. The gun feels very natural. I haven't tried the curved backstrap yet but probably will the next time out.

Reliablitly has been stellar! This gun eats everything we've fed it. I have had a few casings hit me in the head the last time I was out so I may need to adjust the extractor a little. We'll take it out again before I start tinkering. As I said before, I'm really not used to a DA pull but comparing it to my friends Beretta 92, I like this one better. SA pull is very nice. Although not as nice as my Kimber's (to be expected), I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth it was!! I think with a few more hundred rounds through her, she'll really get nice.

Overall, I don't have any regrets buying this nor recommending these to anyone! I'm really kicking around getting the FNP-45 and maybe another FNP-9 as my wife always gives me a hard time when I shoot her guns LOL! I do like the stainless slide as I think that really sets the gun off. I like the style they have with these and for a polymer pistol, I really like their look. A big plus is it's much cheaper to shoot then my .45!! Here's some pictures.

[/img]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts