FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states I took out the FNP9 for the first time today. Right off the bat I had 10 jams in the first mag. Seemed like the rounds were feeding to vertically and jamming into the top of the barrel chamber. At first I had to strip the mag and rack to clear. By the 3rd mag I would tap the slide on the back and fully get it into battery. On the 5th mag things really seemed like they cleared up, then click... no bang. Look at gun, its fully in battery. Click again, nothing. Try to rack the slide, the slide will not rack. I can pull it back just enough to confirm the brass is still in the pistol. I have not verified weather it has been fired or not since where this happened I didn't have a safe way to do this. I will check this shortly. Either way I wasn't too pleased with my first experience but for now short of tapping the barrel to see if it is just locked up with the slide can anyone give me some advise on how to clear the round? I was shooting both WWB and UMC loads, don't know which is the brass in question.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Call Bob next week:

Bob Ailes
Customer Support Manager
PO Box 697
McLean, VA 22101
T: 703-288-1292 ext-122
F: 703-288-1730

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ShipWreck said:
Call Bob next week:

Bob Ailes
Customer Support Manager
PO Box 697
McLean, VA 22101
T: 703-288-1292 ext-122
F: 703-288-1730

Thanks, I was able to get the round out of the gun just now. It was a full round and not just a primer. I was able to get the slide back enough and flip the take-down lever to release the slide from the frame. Upon doing that the barrel would not move w/ the recoil spring out. I was able to wrap the slide in cloth and tap the barrel from the ejection port with a plastic handle and free the barrel. It appears that the primer is sticking out past the brass and may have been the cause of this jam. I will upload some pictures later of the round. I reassembled and was able to hand cycle rounds again. Still when hand cycling I had to tap the slide forward to get into battery. This is with slingshoting the slide. When this happens the round looks very vertical through the ejection port and seems to be catching the top of the chamber of the barrel.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Sounds like there is something wrong there. It shouldn't be doing that. Get that checked out and let them know all that has happened.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
djv38 said:
Sounds like there is something wrong there. It shouldn't be doing that. Get that checked out and let them know all that has happened.
Yeah, I will definitely be giving them a call this upcoming week. I just really am not in a hurry to send it off and not have it for several weeks. Obviously if that's what I need to do than so be it. I have the gun sitting with the slide locked back per a recommendation of someone w/ a similar vertical feeding problem on this forum. I might try to shoot just WWB next time, like most people I have seen problems due to UMC, a very light loaded ammo... especially on a brand new pistol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE

After reading what helped/ didn't help people with similar problems with the fnp9 I was able to do a few things that got the fnp9 running flawlessly. First, I took the gun apart (field stripped only, not full disassembly) and took a emery cloth type of material and "rubbed" off the factory finish that was chipping off on the metal "stripper" section (where the cartridge rides on the bottom of slide while waiting to be chambered.) I noticed alot of the finish flaking off here and it was quite uneven untill I did this. I also used the same method to "rub" off the finish on the feed ramp portion of the barrel. Also I left the slide locked back and the mags fully loaded between range visits (which was over 2 weeks.) Lastly I purposely over-lubed the firearm before the range since my gun really felt like it was having friction related problems, note I only did this to help break in the gun and don't need to do it anymore. The results are now a perfectly operating FNP9. I have not had a single problem of any type since doing these things, and this is a complete 180 from the gun acting totally unacceptable on my first range visit. I have put about 300 rounds through the gun since doing this and its still GTG.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
trackready said:
I also used the same method to "rub" off the finish on the feed ramp portion of the barrel.
My feed ramp never had any finish on it. It's just stainless steel and nice and shiny and smooth, though after shooting, it gets pretty black from the powder. I wonder if the feed ramp was just dirty and needed to be cleaned well, although you only have 300 rounds through it. Pictures of what you did would be helpful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
trackready said:
Yeah, I will definitely be giving them a call this upcoming week. I just really am not in a hurry to send it off and not have it for several weeks.
Just putting this out there, I sent my FNP9 in for service on Saturday Nov. 8th, and it returned working perfectly first thing Monday morning (Nov. 17). They have a really quick turn around, and they ship UPS next day air

·
Registered
57 Posts
Another happy ending. Good for you!

Just to balance this story, in the event that someone comes along a couple of years from now and reads this, I've owned an FN P-9 for two months now, and have shot about 1,300 rounds through it without a single failure to feed, failure to eject, stovepipe, or any other failure-to. Twice, it has failed to lock the slide back after the last round in a magazine (out of 100 or so magazine loadings). That's the only error it has ever had, and both happened the same day right after cleaning and lubing the gun. I wonder if had to so with a little oil where it shouldn't have been, since the same magazines worked fine later in the day? Anyway, this pistol has been completely undramatic. It's like owning an old toaster that goes "bang." Works every time and never any fuss.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I'm over 1600 rounds and no failures what-so-ever, including failure of the mags to lock back. It has been very reliable for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
djv38 said:
trackready said:
I also used the same method to "rub" off the finish on the feed ramp portion of the barrel.
My feed ramp never had any finish on it. It's just stainless steel and nice and shiny and smooth, though after shooting, it gets pretty black from the powder. I wonder if the feed ramp was just dirty and needed to be cleaned well, although you only have 300 rounds through it. Pictures of what you did would be helpful.

I can try to get some pics in the next few days, but I am sure the feedramp had an actual finish on it, weird I know.... I noticed it before I even shot the firearm.

I am starting to like the gun better now that I am starting to trust that it will function, although I must admit I am not sold on it over shooting my xd's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts