FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject says it all. Between my FNP9 & FNP9M, they've eaten close to 5000rds without the first jam or even failure to lock slide. Several hundred in each of WWB jhps, Gold Dot, Golden Saber, & DPX. I can shoot better groups with some of my 1911s and CZ75 clones due to weight and triggers but none of them have gone thru 2000rds w/o a hiccup like both FNs. :D :? :lol:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
When are you going to swap out your recoil spring? That's a lot of rounds. Another thousand perhaps?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question! Guess I ought to go ahead and order one for FNP9 now since it's at close to 3000rds. I think I saw where Shipwreck said 3000 was the magic #? Might as well get one for the M too to save on shipping.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
forestranger said:
Good question! Guess I ought to go ahead and order one for FNP9 now since it's at close to 3000rds. I think I saw where Shipwreck said 3000 was the magic #? Might as well get one for the M too to save on shipping.
3k-5k, depending on the gun. Shorter barrelled guns usually need it a little faster than longer barrels. I would go 5k max

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good news! I'm up to at least 1,000 rounds on our FNP9. Totally undramatic. My son and I shot 300 rounds last Sunday, with, as usual, no drama. It's a nice pistol.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lately I've been shooting the M more since it gets carried. The FNP9 is kinda backup, spare, & practice gun since it points same as the M. I'll go ahead & order springs so I'll have em before I really need em. Don't want to ruin my record with either of them! 8)

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Have you cleaned your FN's? Don't clean the FNP 9, wait and see what happens when you don't clean it, not the M of course, I haven't cleaned my FNP40 yet after 800-900 rounds and over 1200(4200 total) for my USP 9. They are both carry guns as well.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Furyataurus said:
Have you cleaned your FN's? Don't clean the FNP 9, wait and see what happens when you don't clean it, not the M of course, I haven't cleaned my FNP40 yet after 800-900 rounds and over 1200(4200 total) for my USP 9. They are both carry guns as well.
PLEASE CLEAN IT IF YOU CARRY IT!

I don't want to read your obituary stating that you died when your weapon jammed when you needed it-due to not cleaning it.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Yes - if U wanna play that "no cleaning game" with a range gun - so be it. VERY bad idea for a carry gun that you actually carry on that condition.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got my first gun(22 rifle) exactly 50 years ago this Christmas. My Dad, a WWII vet, ingrained in me from the getgo " if you shoot em, clean em". Dad's gone but his advice is alive & well. The FNP9 gets carried some too around the farm & all my guns get cleaned & lubed after every range session. The FNPs are about the easiest handguns I own to clean and I'm afraid to play that "don't clean it til it jams"game. Might cause me to "join" Dad before I'm ready.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Furyataurus said:
It'll be alright, its an HK and FN.
Words to die by.

Sorry, but not cleaning your weapon is a foolish economy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My wife and I took the FNP and our .22 rifle to the range tonight. Another 300 rounds in the FNP and STILL nothing has ever gone wrong. That's about 1,200-1,300 so far. Nice pistol!

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I haven't, because I clean them after every trip. But I have seen people do what is being attempted here - seeing how long it can go w/o a cleaning. Yes, eventually, it will not function.

Also - I have seen guns not work if not enough lube is on them. If I am gonna carry a gun for self defense, I want it cleaned.

Also, I never let anyone else clean one of my guns. I do my own guns myself - so I know its done the way I want it.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
U can eventually get enough powder buildup to affect feeding.

Do what you want - but unless it is a 100% range gun - I believe you are making a mistake.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts